What is a good protein to take after work out up

Options
Need A little motivation new to this and hello nice to meet you y'all I'm try to gain and rip up 166 to 180 July beachfront [/quote]

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The timing of nutrients isn't all the important. I tend to just eat dinner after and don't put too much into protein shakes as I much rather have food. But if you really want a protein shake, it's going to be about personal taste. I like muscle milk, dymatize, EAS, Designer, Quest, etc.. If you can, pick up a few samples to figure out what fits your taste.
  • shack782
    shack782 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Need A little motivation new to this and hello nice to meet you y'all I'm try to gain and rip up 166 to 180 July beachfront

Just so I understand correctly, You're trying to gain 14 lbs in 3 months?

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE - this is the amount of calories you need to consume to maintain weight. Eat a surplus of 500 of that amount daily for 1lb a week weight gain. Don't go over 500 calories because then it will just be stored as fat (there is only a certain amount of muscle one can build, rest of the nutrients gets stored by the body).

Basically, just lift weights with a good program and eat TDEE+500 calories daily. You can gain 12 lbs in 3 months doing this method. Gain weight too fast = too much fat, so beware.

Edit: regarding protein, just make sure you consume 0.8g per lean body mass (i.e. I am 170lbs at 15% bodyfat = 145lbs of lean body mass. 145 x 0.8 = 116g of protein a day minimum. When you cut you can aim for more protein but on a bulk you can get by with this amount.
  • momof4girls48
    momof4girls48 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    cheese and crackers with peanutbutter.