Substitute for side lateral raises?

Options
cnbbnc
cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
I think I want to ditch these on PUHL because both of my shoulders pop/click/clunk when I do them. They've always done that and it's never been painful but I just don't know if it's good. Especially when I think of increasing the weight....

What's a good substitute?

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How much weight are you using now? Are you using good form? As an isolation exercise, you don't need a lot of weight to build your side delts. You can try doing them using a cable, instead of a dumbbell. Or a lat raise machine if you have access to one.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    I only use 10lbs. Weight and form don't matter though because my shoulders do this all in their own on a daily basis....I just raise my arms and they creak and pop. I get what you're saying about weight not needing to be excessive though. I'll try a few other things like you mentioned.
  • Fernando618G
    Fernando618G Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    are you properly warming up? mine do the same
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Are you doing them in the same/similar order where they fall in the program? I have a clicky shoulder too but it's usually done clacking around by that point in the workout.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    I generally go in order...yeah. So I should be warmed up. ??? I dunno. I've had this issue for years and it gets no better or worse. Just nervous that pushing with weight might screw something up in there...
  • arditarose
    Options
    You might find this helpful.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ShouldWt.html

I use the machine sometimes to switch things up. Are you doing single arm? Holding on to something stationary and being sure to only bring your upper arm until elbow is shoulder height?
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    I would ditch the side raises. They aren't that great for you, especially if you have any shoulder issues. A clunky joint is caused from the humeral head not centering inside of the shoulder joint. You might be naturally "loose" in the shoulder or lack some rotator cuff function. Either way, I would stick with things like push ups, bears crawls, and over head press (if it feel fine).
  • Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person above. Side lateral raises are not that great of an exercise.

I prefer bent over lateral raises. These feel more natural to your shoulder movement and target the often neglected rear delts.
  • cgvet37
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Kr15by wrote: »
    I agree with the person above. Side lateral raises are not that great of an exercise.

I prefer bent over lateral raises. These feel more natural to your shoulder movement and target the often neglected rear delts.

Bent over lateral raises are good, but don't focus on the side delt.
  • cgvet37
    Options
    Something else you may try. Instead of raising your arms parallel to your body, raise them with your forearms perpendicular to your body. Like you are forming a U with your arms. I have found it takes some pressure off of the shoulders.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with side lateral raises- for a lot of reasons- I can still do them- but I only do them once or twice every 2-3 weeks- rather than a regular workout exercise.

I really like incline R fly (so you face the bench) and I superset those with an incline front raise. See how those play out- I know i get very clicky under certain movements- it doesn't hurt it just feels really weird and uncomfortable. So I try not to make a habit of them.

Look at the muscle group it's working and then go research ways to train that- there are plenty of other options out there.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Really, the only way you can directly hit your side deltoids is lateral raises of some sort. If doing standing laterals bother you, try doing them laying down. For example, in a side plank position or across an incline bench. This may take some of the strain off of the muscle. Additionally, too heavy a weight on the side delts will force you to start to use the traps to assist, go light and higher reps and see if that helps. No other exercise, other than some form of side lift, is going to hit your side deltoids effectively.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    With clients that have shoulder issues, I use the "Monkey" exercise. Holding dumbells at your sides palms facing the body, you drag them up along your sides with your elbows traveling out to as high as comfortable and then back down.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Go lighter than 10 lbs. If necessary start out with half that or even 2 lbs. and work up from there.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I think I want to ditch these on PUHL because both of my shoulders pop/click/clunk when I do them. They've always done that and it's never been painful but I just don't know if it's good. Especially when I think of increasing the weight....

This happens to me too, and its really not unusual. I was in for a shoulder issue last year and I asked the Physical Therapist. At the anatomy chart and if I recall correctly she pointed out that the tendons migrate over the shoulder horn and that's where the "pop" is apparently coming from. I was told it shouldn't concern me unless pain.

I don't like the sound either, so when I do lateral raises I will alter the position of my palms and adjusting the plane of my shoulders until I no longer hear that click or pop.
  • arditarose
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

This happens to me too, and its really not unusual. I was in for a shoulder issue last year and I asked the Physical Therapist. At the anatomy chart and if I recall correctly she pointed out that the tendons migrate over the shoulder horn and that's where the "pop" is apparently coming from. I was told it shouldn't concern me unless pain.

I don't like the sound either, so when I do lateral raises I will alter the position of my palms and adjusting the plane of my shoulders until I no longer hear that click or pop.

Thanks for posting that. I've been wondering if the clickety clack is a problem or not. No pain so I always kept going.

• cnbbnc
    Options
    Ok. I'll play around with all these ideas and see what I can do. Thank you. :smile: