Cutting out wheat - tips/suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How hard it is depends on how you currently eat it and how much packaged stuff you eat. A meal of meat/eggs/legumes plus veg and a starch like potatoes obviously is wheat-free and needs no added wheat. If you eat something premade or with lots of ingredients you will need to check the ingredients. I don't know if gluten is the thing you are avoiding or not, but personally I'd not substitute with gluten free varieties if it is, but just find other foods to replace wheat bread and pasta (which are the primary sources of wheat in my diet).

If it's only wheat and not grains you can simply buy different grain-based foods, too.
  • lamitch11
    lamitch11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So, I probably should state that it's not the whole family, my husband and I are cutting out wheat (and just wheat) for health reasons. I/we don't plan to make the kids follow but wheat items we buy will be limited.

I don't currently use much prepackaged food items aside from occasional boxes of flavored rices - which I know are out. I'm just new to this and thought others may be able to help and offer advice. Thanks
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    lamitch11 wrote: »
    So, I probably should state that it's not the whole family, my husband and I are cutting out wheat (and just wheat) for health reasons. I/we don't plan to make the kids follow but wheat items we buy will be limited.

I don't currently use much prepackaged food items aside from occasional boxes of flavored rices - which I know are out. I'm just new to this and thought others may be able to help and offer advice. Thanks

Wheat is pretty easy because it has to be listed on labels as an allergy warning! I'm celiac so I don't eat wheat. I used to just sub with potatoes, rice, fruits, and veggies mostly. Rarely Udi's bread. Now I'm keto so I don't eat grains or potatoes and I'm still getting along fine. No vitamin deficiencies here so as long as you are getting a decent variety of foods I think you'll be just fine.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Unless you are gluten sensitive or have coeliac disease DO not do it. You actually might cause more harm than good by cutting it out. Also it is a HUGE waste of money to buy gluten free if or when you wish to add variations in.

Seriously? While it may not benefit them to cut wheat out, how on earth could it possibly cause harm?

I think I read that stopping wheat can cause an inability to digest wheat in a short time. Basically you restrict something so the hormones to digest it are reduced, not being necessary any more. Then you eat it again after a few months and you have a hard time digesting it.

I suppose its no big deal, but for some people, elderly or young uns, its more of a problem getting back to being able to eat things again.

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    You can send it all to me. I'll use the gluten to make delicious, delicious seitan. :p
  • jaqanders
    jaqanders Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've found cutting out gluten isn't the issue (intolerant) but what is is the amount of sugar in replacement alternatives and also seem to be suffering as everything is rice based and I've put on 1/2St since xmas!