Help....I've been on MFP for 17 days and only lost 2 pounds!!!!

Options
green_eyes_99
green_eyes_99 Posts: 149 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been on MFP for 17 days and I have only lost 2 pounds and it has been fluctuating back and in forth with those 2 pounds. I have been on a 1200 calorie intake and work out about 2-3 days a week. Should I up my intake to 1400 or 1500 calories? I just know Im getting frustrated and losing all hope!! Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance. :smiley:

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're losing about a pound a week, which is great!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week is perfect. Keep up the good work.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Be patient. You are losing at about 1 lb. per week if those are correct, but water weight fluctuations happen too. So you may be losing faster or slower than that... it hasn't been long enough to identify a trend.
  • weehah
    weehah Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Also . . . try to be patient. Stick with it. It can be so hard but your body is working with you! Having said that, couldn't hurt to try increasing your intake a bit. 1200 is tough. I now do 1300 and it's lovely. : )
  • ksutherland677
    ksutherland677 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's good! Keep it up :)
  • green_eyes_99
    Options
    You're doing well. Patience. You can't lose 50lbs in a couple weeks. Slow and steady.

I know I can't lose 50lbs in 2 weeks silly. I just thought I would be at least 4 pounds down and not see it fluctuating back and forth like I haven't even lost anything! : (
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    You're doing well. Patience. You can't lose 50lbs in a couple weeks. Slow and steady.

I know I can't lose 50lbs in 2 weeks silly. I just thought I would be at least 4 pounds down and not see it fluctuating back and forth like I haven't even lost anything! : (

Weigh your food.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Everyone's weight fluctuates up and down. It's perfectly normal. Are you weighing daily or weekly? Are you weighing at the same time of day each time?

I echo others who assure you that you are doing fine. It has not been long enough yet to show a solid trend. Take a deep breath and carry on.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I guess you thought wrong.

Is it time to give up yet?

• malibu927
    Options

Since you're set to 1200 calories, it's unlikely you'll be able to reach a 2-pound deficit without sacrificing important nutrients. What are your stats?
  • green_eyes_99
    Options

Since you're set to 1200 calories, it's unlikely you'll be able to reach a 2-pound deficit without sacrificing important nutrients. What are your stats?[/quote]

What do you mean...what are my stats?
  • malibu927
    Options
    Age, height, weight, goal weight
  • green_eyes_99
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Age, height, weight, goal weight[/quote

I am 35, 5'3, currently weigh 190 and I want to get down to 140 :neutral:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Okay, so I took your stats plus what you said about exercising and came up with this:

Sedentary daily life
    2 days exercise per week
    30 mins per day (you didn't specifiy how long) with moderate intensity

TDEE: 1821
    1200 calories would have you at a 621 calorie deficit which is approximately 1.2 lb per week loss. Even slight errors in logging could actually easily bring that deficit down to 500 which results would result in 1 lb per week loss.

2 lbs per week would require an intake of 821 if that's your TDEE which isn't safe or even remotely healthy.

calculator I used:
    http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • green_eyes_99
    Options

Okay, so I took your stats plus what you said about exercising and came up with this:

Sedentary daily life
    2 days exercise per week
    30 mins per day (you didn't specifiy how long) with moderate intensity

TDEE: 1821
    1200 calories would have you at a 621 calorie deficit which is approximately 1.2 lb per week loss. Even slight errors in logging could actually easily bring that deficit down to 500 which results would result in 1 lb per week loss.

2 lbs per week would require an intake of 821 if that's your TDEE which isn't safe or even remotely healthy.

calculator I used:
    http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/[/quotes

Thanks for the information!!!!