Am I skinny fat?

Hi all,

Question.... I am 47, female, 6 ft (1 m 80) , 65 kg (144ish lbs) and my waist measures 74ish cm. Good right? But 2 cm below the navel it bumps up to a whopping 90 cm! Is that what they call skinny fat? I look good in clothes, but not so much in bikini (I think, my husband has a different opinion).

Or is it poor digestion? My belly always sticks out, though it's worse at night (about 2 pant sizes difference compared to the morning!)... no matter what I eat & drink.

Or both?

Oh, I do love my wine, and I know that is part of it...

Opinions welcome - thanks!

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    No one will really be able to tell you unless you post a picture.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Wait, below you belly button? Do you mean your hips? They're supposed to stick out more.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Wait, below you belly button? Do you mean your hips? They're supposed to stick out more.

this
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Picture would be required in order to give you an accurate answer.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Have someone do a caliper test on you. It's fast easy mostly painless. It's the only way. The BF numbers don't lie. If more than 30% BF that might qualify.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    skinny fat isn't exactly scientific word, so it doesn't have a clear definition.

to most people, it means someone is technically not overweight (ei: according to the BMI chart) and/or wears a smaller dress size, yet they are out of shape, have no muscle definition, and have a high body fat percentage (relative to lean body mass).

its hard to tell without a photo, but according to your self description, you sound like someone who might be "skinny fat".

I am too!
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    No. There is no such effing thing. ;) Have a pleasant day. :flowerforyou:
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Thanks all for your input! I measure 2cm (about 1") below the belly button... that's not hips, is it? That's still well above the top of the hip bone. Hips measures in at 90, no concerns there.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Thanks all for your input! I measure 2cm (about 1") below the belly button... that's not hips, is it? That's still well above the top of the hip bone. Hips measures in at 90, no concerns there.
    Pic needed
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    I have a similar problem, if you have a local gym you will be able to check out your body fat percentage, this will certainly let you know. I think us girls are supposed to be less than 30%. Mine is 39% but my bmi is approx 22 so how does that figure? I think it's visceral fat which is not great. Try the machine at the gym to know for sure. Good luck!
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    I thought there would be a picture ahaha.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    You'd need to provide either a pic or your body fat %
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member

i think i know what you are talking about, the lower belly pooch. do you mean that your waist & hips are normal but you have a bit of a a pudgy tummy below the navel?

if so i have the same thing. I used to be skinny but had almost no muscle definition & looked jiggly all over. To me that is "skinny-fat". I've been strength training for a few months & had great results. Even though i am pretty trim with muscle definition in a lot of areas, i still have a little bit of belly fat there. I'm still working on it, and slowly but surely it is getting better

^^edit---what i mean by "working on it" is i am sticking with a good diet & exercising. I know that there is no way to spot reduce so i just have to stick with the plan & be patient.
  • sarwatf
    sarwatf Posts: 60 Member
    Hi all,

Question.... I am 47, female, 6 ft (1 m 80) , 65 kg (144ish lbs) and my waist measures 74ish cm. Good right? But 2 cm below the navel it bumps up to a whopping 90 cm! Is that what they call skinny fat? I look good in clothes, but not so much in bikini (I think, my husband has a different opinion).

Or is it poor digestion? My belly always sticks out, though it's worse at night (about 2 pant sizes difference compared to the morning!)... no matter what I eat & drink.

Or both?

Agree above - hard to tell without a picture but... have you checked it out with a doctor? I'm relatively thin but a few years ago had what i thought was middle age spread and turned out to be a huge ( entirely benign) growth inside which needed to be taken out. Although if its entirely symmetrical thats not likely , don't want to alarm you.
  • TNBelle35
    TNBelle35 Posts: 21 Member
    I understand, I am the same way, a little pouchy from belly button and below...my trainer said its normal since we are female and have more organs down there in that area and will just need more lower ab work. Gets worse during that monthly time, a little more "swollen" that's me, very irritating.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member

I bloat quite a bit as well (2 pants sizes after anything to eat). I recently started taking CLA and Align ( helps with digestion and IBS) and have not had much bloating since. I also cut out alot of gluten. seems to be working so far.....
  • TNBelle35
    TNBelle35 Posts: 21 Member
    Also wanted to say I am 5'4" and 120 lbs and never had any children to cause it, just flabby and out of shape but it is getting better since I have been working out this year but it is still slower in changing than everywhere else.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member

I bloat quite a bit as well (2 pants sizes after anything to eat). I recently started taking CLA and Align ( helps with digestion and IBS) and have not had much bloating since. I also cut out alot of gluten. seems to be working so far.....

Yes, have started on Di-Gest (Wildrose herbal) and the bloating is way down... after 2 days already!

I will also up the strength training and learn to be a little more patient.

Sorry to disappoint those expecting a pic... I don't do pics on the internet.

EVERYBODY thanks for your input!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Hi all,

Or both?

Are you sure this happens no matter what you eat? I mean, have you eliminated certain foods to determine that it's not causing bloating.

A daily probiotic might be your best bet.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    I'm the same, I have a healthy BMI and don't consider myself heavy at this point in my life (10 years ago that's another story), most people tell me I am "skinny", but I have tummy pooch and it drives me crazy! Everywhere else I am happy with, but it takes a lonnnng time of eating right and working out to even notice the slightest difference in my tummy, I wouldn't care so much, except that I have zero butt and hips so it looks worse then it is, and even in clothes that fit makes me look like I have a muffin top...this is what I consider skinny fat...I don't want to lose a ton of weight, just enough to deal with the tummy.