PCOS

Options
Hi you guys! Name's Andy and I'm 29 years old from NYC!
So a few years ago I gained a substantial amount of weight, my first weight jump was about 60 lbs. in a few months. I found this app and was consistently on it and was doing well, I was losing weight steadily. Then my weight started to creep up again even though my eating habits were the same. I became frustrated and reverted back to my old bad eating habits. Then my weight increased even more.
A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS and my doctor explained the symptoms, which include weight gain and difficulty losing weight. She recommended a low carb diet. Since then I have just been on a destructive path, I have not been watching what I eat, I haven't really been taking care of myself the way I should because I feel powerless.
I finally decided to take some control over my body and decided to get back on this app and give the low carb thing a try.

My question is, are there any other ladies out here dealing with PCOS that have had success keeping weight off on a low carb diet or on any other type of program?
I'm looking for some advice and maybe some support since none of my friends can really understand what I am dealing with since they don't have PCOS.
I have been doing research and I'm trying to make adjustments in my eating habits but it would be nice to get some advise from someone that has been successful with keeping the weight off.

Thanks guys!

~Andy

Replies

• KristyMichelle92
    KristyMichelle92 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and let me say there is so much conflicting information out there for the diet to go with PCOS. The best thing that you can do is get foods with a low GI Index. You can search for that if you want. I tried many diets with it. I don't know what will work for you, but what worked for me was a vegan diet, taking probiotics, and quitting smoking. I lost almost 40 pounds within 3 months. Then I went back to eating dairy and eggs (never meat though) and stopped taking probiotics. I haven't lost a pound since and its been like a year and a half. The doctor may want to put you on metformin... Trust me, if you can do it without the metformin (unless you are diabetic, because you need the metformin if you are diabetic) then do. The metformin kept me so sick all the time I couldn't stand it. And it didn't help at all. Even if you don't go vegetarian or vegan or anything, increase your vegetable intake, especially green vegetables. Thats what almost every PCOS diet study I've ever read says. Decrease refined sugar (this includes bread producs). With PCOS people oftentimes you develop insulin resistance, which I did. Insulin resistance struggles to produce insulin the way that it is supposed to. It pretty much turns bread, milk, pasta, etc. to sugar inside your body. I had a doctor who told me that one of the worst things that I could eat was bread. I didn't see much results going off bread, but I did with dairy... Anyways, I'd love to be your friend through this process, if you are interested.I try a new vegetable recipe every week, and I don't mind sharing. We could be friends on here, facebook, skype, even texting if you are interested. PCOS is a very difficult thing to deal with, especially alone!

I'm not a doctor, so you know you may want to do some independent research or ask your doctor about any changes like these before making them...
  • _stumpyshark_
    _stumpyshark_ Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My name is Vanessa and I was diagnosed with premature menopause about two years ago I was 27 at the time. Last month I went to a new doctor because I was having crazy hormone issues and turns out that I have PCOS and was misdiagnosed two years ago. So I started metformin after two weeks on metformin I had the doctor take me off of it because it was making me sick. I recently started the low carb diet in hopes of it helping. I'm looking forward to getting to know you ladies and helping in any way I can.
  • crazycatgirl22
    crazycatgirl22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey! I also have pcos and would like to connect with some more people on here who have it and are trying to lose weight.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor but please go get your blood tests and stools done for parasites. Even if you think its a bunch of bull try it kill the actual cause. Feel for you in this horrible time but it can be cured I am proof of thatm

Yeah.... No. PCOS is a hormonal imbalance and it is not caused by parasites. PCOS also has no cure. There is no "killing" the cause. If a licensed physician told you any of those things, they deserve to have their licensed revoked.
  • scooterjen
    scooterjen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with PCOS since I was 18 (I'm 46 now) My older sister also has it. I am still trying to find out what works. The difference this time is I'm willing to put in the time, trial and error, whatever it takes. I've lost 5 pounds since I started logging 65 days ago. It's painstakingly slow and frustrating. PCOS is a mean bratty toddler that you can't take your eyes off of--even for a minute. OR you'll be where I am at your all time highest weight. Anyone feel free to add me :wink:
  • andym269
    andym269 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's so nice to hear from other women out there struggling with this. I'll add you guys and we can be each other's support. Kristin, like you mentioned there's a lot of conflicting information out there. So I'm thinking I'll start with something and see how it goes.
  • Sheri2016
    Sheri2016 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and would love to help support everyone who also has it as well
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in my late twenties when I couldn't get pregnant. I have the lovely polycystic ovaries as shown on ultrasound, my period was irregular if not completely absent, and I had a lot of the other symptoms as well (except for weight gain). Dr. put me on Metformin for months and I never noticed a difference. My period finally came back and I was able to get pregnant after working with an endocrinologist. I really have no idea if I truly do have PCOS or not, but I can say Metformin didn't do anything.