Fit bit or garmin?

Options
All these new apple watches fit bits and garmins... I'm a bit overwhelmed... which one is the best? And do they all sync with MFP?

Replies

• chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Interested in this. Lol. Is it even worth the expense? I've been researching and keep going back to the thought that it will be something I put in a drawer after about three months of playing with it.
  • bjaneb
    bjaneb Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have worn my Jawbone Up24 daily for 3 months. I love it! It helps keep me on track and accountable!
  • Rom3oJuli3tt
    Rom3oJuli3tt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Depends on what services you tie into. I'm heavily invested in Google services and products, so I use my Android Wear devices to keep track of my fitness. The Google Fit app is the key to it all syncing together! For individuals that are invested in iOS, I recommend that they get themselves an Apple Watch for all of the extra functionality it provides. FitBits and Garmin trackers are one dimensional and good for only that particular thing whereas an Apple Watch or Android Wear device has multiple uses.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Garmin Fenix 3 is the best, but you get what you pay for.
    FitBits and Garmin trackers are one dimensional and good for only that particular thing whereas an Apple Watch or Android Wear device has multiple uses.

My Garmin is good for cycling, running, swimming, hiking, oh and the phone/calendar notifications are nifty too. This is one of the navigation screens where it shows a map of the trail.
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Interested in this. Lol. Is it even worth the expense? I've been researching and keep going back to the thought that it will be something I put in a drawer after about three months of playing with it.

That's what everyone in my family thought when I asked for an activity tracker for Christmas. In fact, my husband got me one that had a watch on it because he thought then I could at least use it to tell time if nothing else. Fifty pounds and 1.5 million steps later, still using it, still motivating me, still happy I have it! I have a Garmin Vivofit...not expensive and I can leave it on 24 hours because it runs on a watch battery so no need to charge it. I can even shower with it on.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want to use it for?

Fitbit/Jawbone are good for tracking steps and making some estimates based on that and the info you give it. Even the ones that do have a HRM shouldn't be expected to be accurate for physical activity, because the wrist types are notoriously inaccurate. I have an UP3 that takes my resting heart rate in the morning. It seems to "miss" the higher heart rate I get when I work out, but somehow still overestimates my calories burned from walking. These are meant to be worn 24/7 and so will track your sleep typically as well.

Garmin/Polar has GPS watches that you can usually buy a chest strap for. If you are interested in GPS for running/cycling and want accurate heart rate data from steady state exercise, these can be tremendously useful. But ANY HRM won't be good at non-steady state calorie burn (like weight lifting, or just daily activity) that's why they tend to rely on step counters which are slightly more accurate.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Love my Garmin Vivosmart HR, it's waterproof and I also utilize it as a watch.
  • mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a Garmin vivofit 2 off Amazon for $65. I chose it over fit bit because I can put it on and forget about it. It's waterproof so I can shower with it, swim, etc. It doesn't need to be charged, so I don't have to take it off. I also love the goals it sets up. Instead of starting from 10k step goal, it starts at smaller goals and increases daily, to gradually push you to be more active. It also has an alert that you can set up that if your inactive for 2 hours I believe it is, it will go off to encourage you to move around.

Downside of garmin, The app isn't as nice as fitbit, also my friends don't use garmin, they use fitbit so I can't challenge them or compare.
  • derevelle
    derevelle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It depends on your activities. I do cardio cross training, so I wear the Garmin Vivoactive. Not only does it have a lot of choices (running, biking, swimming, etc.), it also counts my steps.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I just got the samsung gear s2 and my first thought is that although yes you get notifications on your wrist (which can be cool, so I am not checking my phone every 5 mins) it is an overpriced pedometer. HOWEVER, a feature that I absolutely love is that I have been able to upload a few of my playlists to the watch, so when I go to the gym all i need is me and my wireless headphones and dont have to carry around my phone...which is a hassle.

the cost of the different gadgets is a huge investment and you really do have to do A LOT of research, but most importantly you need to know what you want out of it??

Most importantly just realize that it is a tool just like any other. NONE are COMPLETELY accurate but if your goal is to move more, no activity tracker is going to do the work...you still have to do it...but they are great motivators, which essentially is basically what you pay for.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I loved my Polar H7 chest band and sensor, I went on to the Polar M400. By wearing a sensor when doing activity, it gives a far more accurate result for what you burn off. My heart rate was at the higher end of normal (due to medication, inactivity due to health conditions etc). By using these combinations I have brought my bpm down to between 10-20 bpm depending on how I am. It can be used for other things like seeing if yoga or tai chi helps (in my case definitely). I even wore it overnight to put it to the test to see if my bpm went up during REM sleep. Again it showed this does happen; even rising each time I was up for the toilet. I would never have thought I was the type of person who would use one of these, and certainly scoffed when 'wearables' first came out. I thought they were just for top-end athletic types but have been proven wrong.
  • weightlossissues
    weightlossissues Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit alta. I love it because it links with MFP and I can do weekend and weekly challenges. Lots of fun. :)