How many times do you work out?

Options
What's your ideal work out and how many times a week do you work out?

I've been pole dancing 3 times a week and now I'm adding weight lifting + cardio to my schedule.
Got a personal instructor and he want's me to do cardio 3 times a week and weight lift 3 times a week in addition to the pole dancing.

I'm wondering if it's to much for the body to handle? Anyone been training hard like that? (or is this not hard training? I've never done any sports until 6 months ago)

Replies

• Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting enough rest and calories you can do it. However, that looks pretty intense and I would not be able to sustain that long term. Depending on your goal I would drop one of the activities. Pole dancing seems a good mix of cardio and strength so you could just add cardio or weights on top. If you're looking to add strength do weights, endurance then cardio
  • Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have just recently went from years of training 2-3 days per week of weights, to recently (few months ago) adding in boxing training 3 days and Ju-jitsu 2 days.
    It took at least a month for my body to get used to it (i was always sore and couldnt sleep well), but now ive adjusted fine.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if it's to much for the body to handle?
    Depends is the answer!
    Depends on the person, how used to exercise they are, the intensity and duration.

e.g. "3 times a week cardio" - doing what? For how long?
    A four hour hill climbing session on my bike means I have to give my legs recovery time. A low intensity hour of general cardio causes no recovery issues at all. A heavy lifting session is different to circuit training.

I typically train 6 or 7 days a week but that's a mixture of duration, type and intensity. But I've been doing this a long time and understand how my body reacts and recovers.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Depends is the answer!
    Depends on the person, how used to exercise they are, the intensity and duration.

A four hour hill climbing session on my bike means I have to give my legs recovery time. A low intensity hour of general cardio causes no recovery issues at all. A heavy lifting session is different to circuit training.

I typically train 6 or 7 days a week but that's a mixture of duration, type and intensity. But I've been doing this a long time and understand how my body reacts and recovers.

^^^ Yup.....

Typically I'll work out at least once, often twice, daily (eg row in the morning & cycle after work one day, run in the morning & strength in the evening on alternating days) but I've also been at it for several years.

Our bodies evolved to do hard physical labour and run long distances in search of prey, having said that if you've been fairly inactive take your time building up, it's a marathon not a sprint.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I started from being sedentary in November to the following:

Golf 3x a week (9 holes )
    C25k 3x a week
    Tennis 2x a week (60 min/ session)
    Volleyball (3 hrs) 1x a week
    Power walk 1x a week (45 mins)
    Strength training 2 x a week (60 min / session)

I rest on sat or Sunday. So about 2 activities per day, 3 on Fridays when I have volleyball, golf and tennis.

Despite all that I do, there are still people here I know that do a lot more than I do. And many who do less.

Be careful of burnout. Do things you enjoy and that you would like to be doing.
  • Rockchick09
    Rockchick09 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Depends is the answer!

I'll be doing some heavy lifting. I feel like pole dancing isn't enough anymore.
    As a teen I was used to weight lifting + swimming 5-6 days a week.. I stopped that, gained a lot of weight and now I've almost lost all that weight.

I know I can swing some heavy lifting but I hate cardio so I don't think I will be able to do it 3 times a week. I do like hiking though but is that enough cardio? Is it even cardio? I think he was talking about spinning or running but knowing myself I won't run at all.

My first session with him will be this afternoon. I need to ask about the cardio stuff and how much calories I should be eating.

Thanks for the answer, it really helped :D
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I weight train five days a week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Currently I lift heavy 4x a week
    walk/bike/run/swim 5-7x a week

walking is an active rest day for me.

Cardio doesn't mean running btw...could be a walk or a bike ride or using a skipping rope.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i run 2-3x/week and aerial yoga 1-2x a week.
    i do want to add more aerial work
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Enjoyment is important. Make sure you tell your trainer what you will and won't tolerate otherwise you will end up with his "off the shelf" program and not yours. Would say try everything though, sometimes it just clicks.
    Did you enjoy your swimming? It's a nice complement to strength training.

Is hiking enough? For health, probably. For fitness, could be - if you are challenging yourself and getting your HR up. Also depends on your goals, wouldn't be enough for me but my cardio goals are extreme.

Be cautious asking PTs for nutrition advice - there are some good ones but also there are some real clowns who don't have a clue and will have you on a diet entirely of chicken breast, quinoa and protein shakes. :neutral:
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I agree with @sijomial that it just depends. I'd say ease into whatever you're doing. I don't know how taxing the pole dancing is, but cardio can be whatever you want it to be. There are two reasons for cardio 1) for cardiovascular health and 2) for increasing your calorie burn. It might be worth asking your trainer what purpose he's trying to accomplish.

I prefer running because it gives me the most bang for my buck (time wise) as I think it builds good health, but I can also burn a significant amount of calories when in my cut. I'm going to be transitioning to less cardio in a couple weeks as I'm going on more of a bulk cycle.

As for what the body can handle, that's just up to your body. Right now, I lift 3 mornings a week, run 2 mornings a week, play volleyball 1 night a week and play a full soccer game on the weekend. If I'm feeling exceptionally sore, I'll skip a run day, but not a lift day. That's just me though.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    What other people do isn't too helpful for you.
    But cause you asked, I try to run 8 times a week and pick stuff up 2x a week. And try to bike once or twice, but that usually doesn't happen ;)
  • Rockchick09
    Options
    Thanks :D I'll keep that in mind and will have a chat with him at our session to day.

He's not a big believer in protein shakes and wants me to eat healthy, not only chicken breasts but steaks, fish and an extra protein shake if I'm not getting enough protein.

Cheers guys, this helped a lot.
  • Rockchick09
    Options
    Enjoyment is important. Make sure you tell your trainer what you will and won't tolerate otherwise you will end up with his "off the shelf" program and not yours. Would say try everything though, sometimes it just clicks.
    Did you enjoy your swimming? It's a nice complement to strength training.

Is hiking enough? For health, probably. For fitness, could be - if you are challenging yourself and getting your HR up. Also depends on your goals, wouldn't be enough for me but my cardio goals are extreme.

Be cautious asking PTs for nutrition advice - there are some good ones but also there are some real clowns who don't have a clue and will have you on a diet entirely of chicken breast, quinoa and protein shakes. :neutral:

Nahh hiking is slow for me. I'm mostly there enjoying the fresh air and outdoors. But swimming is something I adore and I'm good at it so if that's gonna complement the strength training I guess I'll start swimming again :D Thanks.