every lost lbs with exercise ONLY?

Options
Just curious if anyone ever experienced weight loss without changing diet, but implementing exercise?

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    weight loss is about energy balance. wirhout calorie deficit there is no weight loss. exercise or no exercise.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Assuming you were neither gaining or losing weight (ie you're eating at maintenance) you could lose weight solely by introducing additional exercise........effectively it's just a different way to create a caloric deficit. (Or you could eat less and not exercise at all - 6 of one, half dozen of the other)

If you planned on this approach it would still be a good idea to log your food to ensure you weren't upping your consumption to fuel the workouts (exercise can and will make you hungrier.......)
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    Im asking if anyone has ever experienced this phenom?

I know 3 men who were in maintenance at roughly 220lbs give or take respectively, started doing hot yoga 3x/week (not cardio), and dropped an additional 30lbs within 6months without changing their food more.
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    Guy 1,
    starting weight: 267
    goal weight: 220
    yoga weight 6mots : 191

Guy 2
    starting weight 280
    goal weight 220
    yoga weight 6mots: 196

Guy 3
    starting weight 254
    goal weight 205
    yoga weight 188-191

all 3 brothers addicted to fast food
  • vezz99
    vezz99 Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes. Very much age-dependent, and you still can't binge, but it's possible.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible, I haven't done it, but most people don't eat at maintenance, they overeat, and it is much easier to be in a caloric deficit due to cutting intake vs increasing activity, but it's preference.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Guy 1,

Guy 2
    starting weight 280
    goal weight 220

Guy 3
    starting weight 254
    goal weight 205
    yoga weight 188-191

I'm skeptical of the results. Many yoga studios claim an average of 700 cal per hour burned (I have no idea how reasonable those numbers are) but if they created a 2100 cal weekly deficit and ate at maintenance one would reasonably expect to lose 2lbs every 3 weeks . Their results defy math....they must have been doing something else.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Maybe working out and starting to feel fitter made them make some better food choices without them really realizing?
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

I know 3 men who were in maintenance at roughly 220lbs give or take respectively, started doing hot yoga 3x/week (not cardio), and dropped an additional 30lbs within 6months without changing their food more.
    riiight, they didn't change a thing about their diet.... sure sure.

Look, again so this sinks home, lets keep this simple. Whats the CAUSE of weight loss?? It's burning more calories that you intake. There is no way around this. Exercise can help CONTRIBUTE to this cause of weight loss. but exercise in itself cannot cause weight loss. if exercise was the cause of weight loss, then athletes would not be able to gain weight and exercise 20+hours a week. Yet millions of them do it all the time.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    A long time ago I was able to without changing my eating. But as I got old as dirt, it won't happen for me any more, much as I try. I'm only physically able to do 60 minutes of exercise, and it seems that's what I GOTTA do just to maintain. If I stop being a hog and cut back I'd lose this last 12. Interesting question though.
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    Guy 1,

Guy 2
    starting weight 280
    goal weight 220

Guy 3
    starting weight 254
    goal weight 205
    yoga weight 188-191

I'm skeptical of the results. Many yoga studios claim an average of 700 cal per hour burned (I have no idea how reasonable those numbers are) but if they created a 2100 cal weekly deficit and ate at maintenance one would reasonably expect to lose 2lbs every 3 weeks . Their results defy math....they must have been doing something else.

they all had dieted down to goal weight. and then implemented yoga. previously they did no exercise to lose. i know a ton of males who swear by hot yoga for weight loss
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    Nope it wont happen. I have been doing that ALL my life. As soon as I started changing my diet along with exercise which I did a month and a half ago....I started losing
  • linalovekitty
    Options

riiight, they didn't change a thing about their diet.... sure sure.

Look, again so this sinks home, lets keep this simple. Whats the CAUSE of weight loss?? It's burning more calories that you intake. There is no way around this. Exercise can help CONTRIBUTE to this cause of weight loss. but exercise in itself cannot cause weight loss. if exercise was the cause of weight loss, then athletes would not be able to gain weight and exercise 20+hours a week. Yet millions of them do it all the time.

relax my friend, no need to get snippy, life is good :)

look, theres many factors that contribute to weight loss, hormones being one of them. perhaps exercise evened out their hormones/insulin causing them to eat less, right? ok I accept that just fine, but I find it interesting that 3 formerly obese brothers had such wonderful results following a new dedication to hot yoga. and it boggles my mind.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I lost 14 lbs by adding running and keeping my diet the same. But keep in mind while I was eating normal and running 10-15 miles a week, nothing happened. It wasn't till I upped my mileage to 20+ that the weight came off. I didn't start fixing my food intake until I stopped losing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

this isn't really a phenomenon. it's pretty much basic math. if you're eating at our near maintenance and add a calorie burning activity you'll be in a deficit and then lose weight. imagine an athlete that's working out with weights during the offseason and eating maintenance. when training camp comes around he adds running 4x a week to his lifting routine to round back into game shape. he can eat the same calorie amounts the entire year.

the problem is that most people aren't athletes and they aren't eating at maintenance either. they're eating a surplus and then when they add exercise they also add more food that offsets the burn. that doesn't even account for what happens when people get injured or other life events happen to prevent them from regular workouts.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Guy 1,

Guy 2
    starting weight 280
    goal weight 220

Guy 3
    starting weight 254
    goal weight 205
    yoga weight 188-191

they all had dieted down to goal weight. and then implemented yoga. previously they did no exercise to lose. i know a ton of males who swear by hot yoga for weight loss

That changes things a little but #1 & 2 are still mathematically implausible. 1lb of fat is 3,500 cal. To lose an additional 29 or so lbs of fat in 26 weeks (where the estimated deficit would give a loss of 2lbs every 3 weeks) doesn't make sense......and I'm pretty certain that yoga doesn't burn more calories than running (and even running 3 x 1 hr per @ 6mph week wouldn't be enough to lose more than 1lb of fat per week)
  • linalovekitty
    Options
    Guy 1,

Guy 2
    starting weight 280
    goal weight 220

Guy 3
    starting weight 254
    goal weight 205
    yoga weight 188-191

That changes things a little but #1 & 2 are still mathematically implausible. 1lb of fat is 3,500 cal. To lose an additional 29 or so lbs of fat in 26 weeks (where the estimated deficit would give a loss of 2lbs every 3 weeks) doesn't make sense......and I'm pretty certain that yoga doesn't burn more calories than running (and even running 3 x 1 hr per @ 6mph week wouldn't be enough to lose more than 1lb of fat per week)

Im looking at guy #1 right now, and it is plausible
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Guy 1,

Guy 2
    starting weight 280
    goal weight 220

Guy 3
    starting weight 254
    goal weight 205
    yoga weight 188-191

Im looking at guy #1 right now, and it is plausible

OK, first you start with a question asking if this is possible; then you give an anecdotal sample of 3 , then you know "tons of guys" losing weight through yoga and your anecdotal sample of 3 lost mathematically impossible amounts of weight......

And from another thread you posted...
    1. its funny you mention weight gain and fast food bc my husband and his frat buddies LIVED on nothing but McDonalds, Taco Bell, and Wendy's in college. They all went from in shape young men to gaining 50lbs plus. This was 10 years ago, and now they are all fit BUT the one thing theyve all done is sworn off fast food bc they say it just stuck to them like glue. Infact when my now husband graduated and set out to lose 50lbs 10 years ago, he actually lost 35 of it in 3 weeks bc he stopped eating fast food for every meal.

Without seeing food diaries and exercise diaries I'm calling BS, pure and simple. (Do the math.......)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it was slow. I started training martial arts (had previously been pretty inactive) and without changing eating habits did lose roughly 5 lbs in a year.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone ever experienced weight loss without changing diet, but implementing exercise?

Make sure you move a hell of a lot more than your intake. I know many who pay no regard to their intake and are sub-10% BF. They probably go rock climbing for 2 hours 3 times a week, though, plus do some kind of manual labour job...