Just diagnosed with diabetes...

Options
melisha0214
melisha0214 Posts: 43 Member
I just got the shock of my life in being diagnosed with diabetes. My blood sugar was well over 300 with my A1c at 12.1. This is NOT okay. I need all of the support I can get ... not necessarily to stay motivated, but just to keep myself sane. Please feel free to add me.

Replies

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    It'll be OK--the good news is, if it was a surprise, it sounds like they caught it before it was a real problem. The changes you may have to make will be a lot of small ones: finding foods you like with less sugar added, taking your meds regularly (I'm guessing there are meds), and being mindful of how you feel overall. Tons of people on this forum have had this experience, too, and most have found their way. You will, too. :smile:
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

You may want to join one MFP group that deals with Diabetes. Here is a link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
    You can find them at the "group" option, dark blue banner above.
    MFP pre logging will help with the carbs of the food you plan to eat. I have a brother with T2 Diabetes and MFP has been very helpful for him to manage his diabetes.
    Good luck in your journey
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I got diagnosed with diabetes last year, it was the worst birthday present. Try and do some exercise (just taking a walk even) and losing some weight, and watching your sugar and your A1C should go down. It's possible with persistence and time. I came off my metformin last month after staying in the pre-diabetic range, so I know it can be done!
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Last fall my fasting glucose hit 110. My doc said in his experience it can drop dramatically with a loss of even 20 lbs. I've dropped from 245 lbs. to 185 lbs. since then, and my last fasting glucose level was 90. The best thing you can do for yourself right now is lose weight. Between the direct effect of the weight loss and the incidental fact that you'll be eating less and better, as well as exercising, you can look forward to a huge improvement in your diabetes.
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes about 5 years ago. Being a RN, I should have recognized the signs long before. I was on Metformin and in short order, everything came back to "Within Normal Limits". Over time, my A1C started creeping up. That was my wake up call that I had to take control of my life. Changed my diet, joined a gym, started working out and eating right. After a significant weight loss (a total of about 80 pounds so far), my last set of labs showed "No Evidence of Diabetes", and I haven't taken any diabetes related meds in 7 months and my fasting blood sugar is rarely above 85. You can take fight this!
  • kriscampbell906
    kriscampbell906 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My son and daughter both have Type 1 diabetes and my daughter uses MFP to check the carbs on all of her foods. I know it will be an adjustment for you, but eat right and exercise.
  • nannurse
    nannurse Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to add you from here, but feel free to add me. I was diagnosed a couple of months ago. I've had the pre-diabetes for a couple of years now, but did nothing about it. My doctor and I decided to have me go to a dietician first and see if I can control it without meds. It's hard for me to type this and very few people even know. Not even my husband knows. But, I'm down about 10 lbs over the last month. I'm determined to kick this thing in the butt!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a lot of baked goods, pasta, and rice? Do you eat a lot of fruit? Are you in the habit of eating ice cream and candy bars, soda pop (sugared or sugar-free)? Are your lunches mainly from fast food joints? Are you a 'couch potato'? ... If so, then those are the areas you will need to address in order to gain a better blood glucose profile.

A word of caution about the advice you will get from other diabetics on social media, such as MFP ... Diabeties is very individualized as to how your own body will respond to differing measures ... and don't believe that it is curable because it is not; once you have it, it's with you for life. It can be managed and controlled with diet and exercise, medication helps. It can never be 'cured' in that if you fall off the food and activity plan your numbers will go up.

You do not need to go 'gung-ho, all-out, all-or-nothing' type of approach ... in fact, it would be better for you if you did not. The reason I say this is because too many changes at one time are too difficult to sustain over the long haul ... and now that you are a Diabetic, it is definitely for the long haul. The good news about this, however, is that you have a long window of opportunity to get a tight control by making small changes and building on them.

I hope your doctor is sending you to a dietician or at least providing helpful guidesteps and is planning on monitoring you frequently over the course of the next year as you make the modifications you need to do.

Something you may have been told that may have not sunk in (it didn't for me) ... diabetes is a progressive disease. Even modestly high blood sugars will do damage to your nerves, kidneys, liver, pancreas, heart, brain, and eyes over time ... a long time, but within your lifetime. That is why it is so important to do what your doctor advises and make the life changes you need to make slowly enough so that they stick and rapidly enough so that they make an impact on your blood glucose levels.

Good luck.
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with diabetes t2 last year with A1C of 10.3. Getting a diagnosis of diabetes actually SAVED my life. It was the motivation I needed to adopt a healthy approach to food, lose weight through CICO and start regular exercise. Since then I've lost over 80 pounds and have been taken off all diabetic and blood pressure medication. I still have quite a bit to lose to get to my goal but feel a million times better already. You can do it too!!