weigh or measure?

Options
chalaivy
chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
protein powders.. the nutrition label says ''3 heaping tablespoons (28g)''. This morning I weighed it but 28g seemed like a lot more than 3 heaping tablespoons. Do you all weigh these or measure?

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    If given the option of weighing, I will always choose that as it is the most accurate.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I use the scoop that comes with the powder but if I didn't have one of those I'd weigh.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Always weigh.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Mine says one scoop per serving, but by weight it's actually 3.75 scoops... so I also vote for weighing.
  • chalaivy
    Options
    Do you weigh separately or liquid first then TARE your scale?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I agree with weighing it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    chalaivy wrote: »

I put the powder container on the scale, take out the scoop and press tare. Then take a little bit out at a time until the scale says the container is a serving size lighter.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weighing is more accurate so do that.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options

I put the powder container on the scale, take out the scoop and press tare. Then take a little bit out at a time until the scale says the container is a serving size lighter.

Really? I've never heard of doing it that way before. Is there a benefit to doing it this way as opposed to putting your empty drink vessel on the scale, hitting tare and then adding the protein powder up to the serving size?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Really? I've never heard of doing it that way before. Is there a benefit to doing it this way as opposed to putting your empty drink vessel on the scale, hitting tare and then adding the protein powder up to the serving size?

It's the same thing. Putting the container on the scale just makes it easier not to go overboard, as it's easier to put back extra powder from the scoop than from your bowl, once it's mixed in stuff.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Not so much for a thing like protein powder, but something like peanut butter where it sticks to the knife (and, of course you're going to lick the knife, right?), then you know a serving came out and not a serving that is on the bread, plus a few grams you ate when you licked the knife.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    28 grams is about 1 ounce.
    As for regular food ... it depends on what the food is. I don't weigh liquids but use a liquid measuring cup for those. Same thing for homemade soups. When it comes to dry ingredients and meat, I weigh them, except for my protein powder. For that I use the scoop that comes with the protein powder, and never do heaping.
  • chalaivy
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    28 grams is about 1 ounce.
    As for regular food ... it depends on what the food is. I don't weigh liquids but use a liquid measuring cup for those. Same thing for homemade soups. When it comes to dry ingredients and meat, I weigh them, except for my protein powder. For that I use the scoop that comes with the protein powder, and never do heaping.

yeah I would use the scoop but the kind I bought didn't come with a scoop and it just says 3 heaping tbps or 28g so I weighed this morning but didn't know if anyone followed the ''heaping scoop'' serving or not
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I find the scoop that comes with it is often a bit bigger than the weighed serving, so I always weigh it. If I'm going to waste calories, it is NOT going to be on protein powder!