What to do after C25k?

Options
I have one more week left of C25k. I am looking for a program to keep me going with running, however running is secondary to the strength training program I'm doing on alternate days.

Currently I'm running on a treadmill at 4.2 mph/~14 min mile, 1.5 incline. I saw the bridge to 10k program but the workouts are very long. I only want a 30-35 minute workout on weekdays. I would like to gain speed so that I can cover more distance in the same amount of time.

Are there any programs/apps designed for this? I do best when I am working towards a goal.

Replies

• ano463s
    ano463s Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Most advice says that you gain speed by repetition and adding distance. You can do speedwork (intervals), but if you're just finishing C25K, I'd recommend starting to run 30 minutes per day, 3-4 days per week, for a month to build up consistency. That will help ensure that you don't get injured (which is easy to do if you push too hard).

After that month, you could try adding intervals in on one day, and if you're up for it, making one day a longer run (I normally do that on a day off), adding 10% or so to your weekly mileage per week, up to a max of an hour or so of running on that long run day (you can run longer than that, obviously, but you may burn out if you don't really want to be out there that long).

Most of your runs should be easy runs (it's not recommended to do speedwork or run at your max speed every run), and you may find that if you just run at a pace that seems like the RPE you want to hit, you may start covering more ground in the same amount of time at that RPE over time naturally.

If you find that you're okay with doing longer runs, the Hal Higdon plans are great, IMO. They advance at a completely reasonable pace, and really do get you to your goals.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I only want to run 3 days a week. I am ok with increasing time/distance on my weekend day but don't want an hour long workout every run.

What is RPE?

I like the look of this Hal Higdon plan for novice 10k because it only increases the distance of one run. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program Is that a good one? Should I still do a month of 30 minutes 3x a week before I start that plan? I just wish there was an app so I could go along and check the boxes off, ha!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Run faster.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Thanks! Yes, I only want to run 3 days a week. I am ok with increasing time/distance on my weekend day but don't want an hour long workout every run.

What is RPE?

I like the look of this Hal Higdon plan for novice 10k because it only increases the distance of one run. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program Is that a good one? Should I still do a month of 30 minutes 3x a week before I start that plan? I just wish there was an app so I could go along and check the boxes off, ha!

Hal Higdon's 10k program is a good one.

Also would recommend: Bridge to 10k or One Hour Runner.

If you are already running a 5k, I don't think you NEED to do a month of 30 mins / 3x a week first, unless you want to. When I started One Hour Runner back in the day it had me do 30 mins/3x a week for the first 3 weeks before increasing again. It will depend on how comfortable you are with what you've accomplished so far.

LazSommer wrote: »
    Run faster.

No. Almost always a better idea to add distance rather than speed. Speedwork should never be more than 10% of your weekly mileage, and even then should be within your abilities not arbitrarily pushing the pace. That is a recipe for burning out or getting injured.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on c25k! I just finished too! I suggest that you Repeat c25k using the run segments to up your speed and the walk segments to run at your current (slower) pace.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have one more week left of C25k. I am looking for a program to keep me going with running, however running is secondary to the strength training program I'm doing on alternate days.

Currently I'm running on a treadmill at 4.2 mph/~14 min mile, 1.5 incline. I saw the bridge to 10k program but the workouts are very long. I only want a 30-35 minute workout on weekdays. I would like to gain speed so that I can cover more distance in the same amount of time.

Are there any programs/apps designed for this? I do best when I am working towards a goal.

My 2 cents (and I applaud you for doing strength training AND running... it builds a better, more complete you) is to repeat C25K but challenge yourself. Now that you've built a base, challenge it! Run it faster or at a slightly higher incline to introduce a new challenge.

That meets your criteria of 30 minute workouts and still improves your running!

( I would also challenge you to run outdoors... as it forces you to work a little bit harder. You no longer have a belt driving your pace. When outside you need to manage your pace and adjust for the terrain).

Good Luck!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can do it again
    you can do the bridge to 10k
    you can do another training program
    you can do rundouble
  • blues4miles
    Options

My 2 cents (and I applaud you for doing strength training AND running... it builds a better, more complete you) is to repeat C25K but challenge yourself. Now that you've built a base, challenge it! Run it faster or at a slightly higher incline to introduce a new challenge.

( I would also challenge you to run outdoors... as it forces you to work a little bit harder. You no longer have a belt driving your pace. When outside you need to manage your pace and adjust for the terrain).

Good Luck!

Again I disagree with adding speed too soon. The more you run the naturally faster you will get over time. Forcing yourself to run faster is a sure way to burn out or get injured. Increasing the incline is a safe way to add a challenge without risking injury.

Honestly, the best way to gain speed is to add distance, and build a stronger running base. If you're running 3x a week now, add a 4th day. After a couple months, add a 5th day.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Good Luck!

Again I disagree with adding speed too soon. The more you run the naturally faster you will get over time. Forcing yourself to run faster is a sure way to burn out or get injured. Increasing the incline is a safe way to add a challenge without risking injury.

Honestly, the best way to gain speed is to add distance, and build a stronger running base. If you're running 3x a week now, add a 4th day. After a couple months, add a 5th day.

OP is not running at a pace where putting on speed would be hard. I didn't mean OP should switch to sprinting, but I have never run over 5 miles at one time without stopping. Got faster anyway. At an amateur level you can get faster by running the same distance... faster.
  • Dula73
    Dula73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I went straight into a bridge to 10k programme after c25k. I do two longer runs a week following the programme and one shorter run of about 30 mins instead of the 3 longer runs a week set by the programme.

I found it mentally quite hard to go back to running/walking intervals which is what the 10k programme I'm following does - so I'm not sure I'd entirely recommend it... But I'm almost done with the intervals now so hopefully things will improve a bit.

Also I recommend to try running outside for new challenges!
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the runkeeper app? They have a few challenges that may be good for your goals
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did c25k last spring...ran my first 5k on week 7 (color run) in June...when I was done with the program I just kept running a 5k 3x a week...why do you have to "go onto other things"?

I looked at the 10k but based on my husbands advice I decided naw...don't wanna do it.

I lift as well..

I didn't run all winter tho...hehe

started again 1 month ago with 1 mile...ugh
    did one mile a week ago...not so bad...

did one mile yesterday and felt great...will do a couple more 1 mile runs and creep up to 3miles by summer. repeat
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I loaded a bunch of music at a 160 bpm rhythm and run my course. Amazon has several playlists at 150 bpm, 160, 170 and 180. Pick your poison and go. They also have 10K, half marathon and full marathon playlists. Find one you like. You don't have to run the full distance on the play list each time, or ever. Your phone/player, like mine, probably has an off switch.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Good Luck!

OP is not running at a pace where putting on speed would be hard. I didn't mean OP should switch to sprinting, but I have never run over 5 miles at one time without stopping. Got faster anyway. At an amateur level you can get faster by running the same distance... faster.

@Blues4miles - Maybe I am just reading between the lines and I would normally agree with you about adding speed, but per the OP, she wanted to keep it within 30-35 minutes, and is running on a treadmill where increasing from 4.2 MPh to 4.3 Mph or 4.4 Mph isn't going to present significant risk. Treadmills provide an ideal running surface with a managed pace. So really increasing distance isn't within the objectives.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

So if you're wanting to limit yourself to 30 minute sessions three times per week then your only real option is to increase the speed of the treadmill and try to run a bit faster.

Bluntly, at your current pace and endurance the fastest way to improve your pace is to run longer. If you don't want to run longer then you have limited potential to just try to run faster, although there are limited gains to be made there. As you're not yet completing 5km in that time then you're not even at the starting point for any improvement plans, and indeed a credible 5k improver plan would assume that you can run for at least 10km continuously.

• blues4miles
    Options

Good Luck!

@Blues4miles - Maybe I am just reading between the lines and I would normally agree with you about adding speed, but per the OP, she wanted to keep it within 30-35 minutes, and is running on a treadmill where increasing from 4.2 MPh to 4.3 Mph or 4.4 Mph isn't going to present significant risk. Treadmills provide an ideal running surface with a managed pace. So really increasing distance isn't within the objectives.

I hear you, but see the post above as well. One probably shouldn't be working on running all of your 30 minutes faster until you can run 2-3x the distance. The "just run faster" advice seems to imply you can will your way to running faster. If the limit is really 30 minutes and one does not want to increase the incline, it would be better to just run at the same speed for another couple months, to be honest. Build a better base. Could possibly add some faster intervals into the 30 minutes, but if it's more than 10% of weekly mileage (or 9 minutes basically of a 90 minute week) that person is probably going to burn out / risk injury. Obviously individual experience may vary. But most people don't build up to being able to run x amount of time/distance, and then just suddenly decide they want to become incrementally faster by just running faster.