Tortilla wraps in advance? (Meal prep question)

Options
Emily3907
Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
Lately, I have been doing weekly meal preps where I prepare on Sunday and then have lunches for the whole week. I have an idea for a tortilla roll up with some kind of meat, veggies, sauce and cheese. However, I am worried about the roll ups holding up from Sunday until Friday?

Has anyone tried this? Any ingredients to stay away from?

My first thought is maybe a chicken ceasar or italian club type roll up.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I don't know that making a roll up takes enough time to warrant finding out.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    ^^ I agree with the above poster. Not something worthy of meal prep in my opinion. Just make it the night before so you don't chance it getting soggy.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    All about that prepping for the week! Such a time saver early in the mornings! However, I've tried that wrap thing and the tortilla does get soggy. I also don't care for mason jar salads -- so, I may be weird (yes, I am). Anywho, what I end up doing is prepping all the ingredients and putting them in separate mason jars - yes, the ingredients for salads and wraps and anything else I may desire. Then as I am putting lunches together, I grab whatever mason jars and make the wrap right then and wrap up in plastic wrap. Takes maybe 1 minute to assemble. I also do the same with my salad and such - so much fresher than sticking it all together and everything tastes like bell peppers.....
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    GYATagain wrote: »
    All about that prepping for the week! Such a time saver early in the mornings! However, I've tried that wrap thing and the tortilla does get soggy. I also don't care for mason jar salads -- so, I may be weird (yes, I am). Anywho, what I end up doing is prepping all the ingredients and putting them in separate mason jars - yes, the ingredients for salads and wraps and anything else I may desire. Then as I am putting lunches together, I grab whatever mason jars and make the wrap right then and wrap up in plastic wrap. Takes maybe 1 minute to assemble. I also do the same with my salad and such - so much fresher than sticking it all together and everything tastes like bell peppers.....

Thanks! I like that idea about prepping all the ingredients in advance and then assembling closer to time. That way I am still saving some time, but not getting soggy wraps. I can also go ahead and still prep my sides in advance too and then just add the freshly prepared wrap to the container.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Honestly, sometimes I feel like a wrap gets soggy just in the time from the morning rush to lunch time :grimace:

I think even the commercial wraps that are pre-packaged are made daily, so I wouldn't try prepping them more than a day ahead.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    A young man who works where I do fixes his lunchtime burrito on the weekends and freezes them. He brings one to work each day and reheats it in the microwave oven. It seems to be working for him. I recently found the Ole' High Fiber Low Carb Tortilla. It holds together well and tastes good.
  • kes0156
    kes0156 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I prep everything on sunday in little baggies and containers. So all I have to do is throw in the tortilla (wrapped in saran), little baggie of pre-cooked chicken, baggie of lettuce, to go ramikan of salsa, to go ramikan of sour cream or hummus - anything you want on the wrap just keep separated. Then assemble at lunchtime!
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    GYATagain wrote: »

Thanks! I like that idea about prepping all the ingredients in advance and then assembling closer to time. That way I am still saving some time, but not getting soggy wraps. I can also go ahead and still prep my sides in advance too and then just add the freshly prepared wrap to the container.

That is pretty much what I do. I prep the ingredients, but assemble sandwiches/wraps/salads that day so they don't get soggy or end up tasting like a single ingredient.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I had one made on Friday and didn't eat it, on Monday when I went to check on it (left it at work over the weekend) it was completely soggy. I put balsamic vinegar in mine, and I'm sure if I didn't it would have been fine.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I had a wrap for lunch today, I made it at 8am and by the time I ate it at 1pm it was starting to get soggy. I can't imagine the state a wrap would be in by Friday if it was made on Sunday.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Keep the tortilla and the internal ingredients separate until you eat it. Prep the inside contents and keep them in a container. It takes 30 seconds to drop it on the tortilla and roll it up.

There is no other acceptable way to do this.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I make three wraps for my three work shifts. They're fine. I like the flat out light. I roll them longways and it seems like slot of food.