Sodium--holy moly (and other epiphanies)

Options
2»

Replies

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Crazy how much sodium processed foods have. I usually have a turkey, kraft fat free cheese slice in a tortilla(wrap) for an afternoon snack and that has over 1000mg of sodium! So for about the same amount of calories/macros i made a chocolate mug cake with chocolate protein powder, cocoa powder, egg whites, all purpose flour and zero cal sweetener that that only had about 150mg of sodium. What a difference. I may start paying more attention to sodium as my numbers usually hover around 7-10kmg per day.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Sodium makes me bloat like no other. No matter how much water I drink.
  • wsrep
    wsrep Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    wsrep wrote: »
    Yup it's in almost everything. That's the reason I stopped buying turkey/chicken slices for sandwiches. It's just loaded with sodium.

Thin N Trim lunch meats are lower in sodium. 2 slices of low sodium ezekial bread, 1 wedge of laughing cow cheese, 4oz (or 2) of thin n trim buffalo chicken , lettuce/whatever else. Nets about 250-300 calories with a few hundred grams (200-500) depending on toppings/mount used) which isnt to bad in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for the tip. Do you know if they have that here in LA?

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    rsleighty wrote: »
    The one that really surprised me was the amount of sodium in individually frozen fish and chicken breast. The kind you buy in the bag...

Most of that frozen meat is injected with a sodium solution to increase its weight.
  • lmbecker12
    lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised that so many people are so surprised that processed foods have a lot of sodium (hence it's in everything)...it's a preservative...that's how all of that stuff can sit on the shelf for all of eternity.

To keep sodium down you have to use primarily whole foods and limit eating out at restaurants.

It's not that I'm surprised...I guess I always knew processed foods had a lot of sodium, but it's really hit home now that I've focused on eating healthy (along with losing weight). Things I had really thought about like cheeses and English muffins...stuff like that. It has also really made me realize how much it affects me too!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rsleighty wrote: »
    The one that really surprised me was the amount of sodium in individually frozen fish and chicken breast. The kind you buy in the bag...

some sodium is added, but fish, meat, and poultry have naturally occurring sodium as well. A fresh wild cod filet has about 82 mg of sodium occurring naturally. The frozen cod I buy at Costco has 100 Mg...nothing I would consider crazy high sodium.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    IDK, I have no problem sticking to a 1200 mg sodium diet. I need to because my bp is high and I am also on meds for it. [It's not due to weight but constricted arteries]