The age-old question...

Options
Do you guys go to the gym?

I had a tryout day at a gym today and I leaning more towards not joining. The staff were friendly (especially when I said I had never been to a gym before) and the gym area was clean. It was not too busy and they had a ladies area (which I love the idea of and used quite bit). The changing room was open plan, which being self conscious put me off, and the showers and toilet had little nice about them (only one toilet not being blocked with tissue paper). So wasn't keen to shower or use the facilities.

I had a good workout though. But when I left it was such a nice sunny day, I just wished I had stayed out. Also, not until I left, did I realise the strong odour of.rubber/plastic in the gym and the fact that I was pretty bored. Whereas walking home I had fresh air, more sights and sounds and my brain felt more engaged.

I am just wondering what you guys think, do you use the gym? Do you exercise at home? (I use Wii Fitness Coach workouts) or do you exercise outside? Preferences? Experiences?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I mostly workout at home because I have weight equipment and a treadmill there. However, I also belong to a rec center that is run by my employer (it's not free though.) I also live in a neighborhood where I can walk/run outside easily and live near a park where I can do the same. I like to go to the rec center once in awhile for the following reasons: change of scenery, weather (there's an indoor track so if the weather is bad and I want to run I can do it there instead of on the treadmill at home), different equipment. To me, one is not inherently better or worse than the other. They are just different and sometimes I like different.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Nope. Treadmill and gym at home, and run/walk outside when I can. Even before I bought equipment, I exercised at home or walking putside. I don't like being cooped up in a gym. I do like a swim though.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i love the gym, but not the gyms nearest my home which are insanely crowded at all hours with lots of broken equipment that often take over a month to get fixed, and there are lots of people who take up the machines while texting or talking with buddies. if we had a gym nearby like you're describing, i'd be there 4 days a week and a happy camper.

i work out at home - we have some decent stuff including both standard and olympic weights and bars (i mostly use an ez curl bar for barbell work but have standard handles for dumbbell work), resistance bands for when more flexibility of angle is needed, and i have a hyper bench being delivered later today for more lower back work. we're saving up for a functional trainer, but that's going to take a while.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I personally love my gym. I mostly go to classes because that is what I find motivating. However, in the summertime I am mostly outside running or cycling. I keep my membership active so I can go on a rainy day if needed. I don't have room at home to have equipment, however, I can do things like planks, pushup, squats, burpees....etc.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Because of my disabilities I do adapted exercise at home. I have an app called Dance Fit Studio, and have also just bought a Bollywood one, with Wii Zumba and Belly Dancing ones on the way. I enjoy the Wii Fit Plus as there is something at every level depending on how I am on any given day. I may be barking up the wrong tree but for me I think gym membership would not be cost effective. If I am only able to do a couple of minutes on a piece of equipment before collapsing and grabbing for my nebuliser, it is not worth it. I think we should stick with what works for us as individuals; there is no wrong or right way, just a way that works for us :-)
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    No. I run outside and take classes at studios.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    No. I tried a gym once at it completely derailed me having to go there and back and work out around other people. Plus my workout partner was all about the cardio and i felt bad for ditching her to do anything else.

At home there is no pressure from anyone but me. I've got a decent set of weights and I walk/run/bike on the local trails. Much more relaxing.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Do you guys go to the gym?

I had a tryout day at a gym today and I leaning more towards not joining. The staff were friendly (especially when I said I had never been to a gym before) and the gym area was clean. It was not too busy and they had a ladies area (which I love the idea of and used quite bit). The changing room was open plan, which being self conscious put me off, and the showers and toilet had little nice about them (only one toilet not being blocked with tissue paper). So wasn't keen to shower or use the facilities.

I had a good workout though. But when I left it was such a nice sunny day, I just wished I had stayed out. Also, not until I left, did I realise the strong odour of.rubber/plastic in the gym and the fact that I was pretty bored. Whereas walking home I had fresh air, more sights and sounds and my brain felt more engaged.

I am just wondering what you guys think, do you use the gym? Do you exercise at home? (I use Wii Fitness Coach workouts) or do you exercise outside? Preferences? Experiences?

It is completely up to you. It depends on what physical activity you like, if you prefer to workout outdoors or indoors, if you like working in a group, around others or in private, if you have whatever equipment you plan to use at home etc.
    What do you like doing? Woudl the gym help you with something you cannot do otherwise?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I do my lifts in the gym and my cardio, which is walking, I do outside... rain,snow, or heat.