Low carb diet

Options
Anyone on a ;low carb diet and if so what kind of results are you getting now Im not talking Atkins im just talking low carb I am down 4.5 pounds in two weeks So before you all start bashing my diary is open to friends only because thats how I want it I am doing 40 carbs or below a day

Replies

• Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    no one ????
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets are unnecessary and can be detrimental to performance in the gym. The only real advantage of a low carb diet is that the increased protein and fat keeps you from getting hungry. Also, low carb diets tend to cause quick weight loss in the beginning due to decreased glycogen and loss of mostly water weight fast, then plateaus are often hit.
  • AnneSoCal
    AnneSoCal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I eat a low carb diet. I try to stay at 50g or less a day.

Also, I work out about 4 mornings a week at a boot camp and contrary to what the other poster said on here, it hasn't been detrimental to my performance at all!

Last year I started a low carb diet and lost 36 pounds in 4 months with no exercise. I mistakenly thought that I could add refined grains back into my diet in small quantities, but all that did was increase my cravings, make me feel deprived and I gained back 26 pounds.

I have recommitted to the low carb way of eating and have quickly lost 5 pounds in the past week. (My ticker says 15 because I still count the other 10 that I lost and didn't gain back!).

For me, it's the best way to eat that I have found, and I've tried them all! If you like to cook, it's even better because there are SO many different, wonderful, tasty meals you can make that you won't believe are going to help you lose weight.

I'm sending you a friend request! :)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I follow a lower carb diet, not as low as some but definitely low. I get most of my carbs from fruit and veggies and *GASP* I even eat some ****listed foods sometimes (like today, I had a handful of Wendy's fries) Low carb doesn't have to be extreme, nor does high carb. You don't have to go balls out in either direction but I am sensitive to wheat so it's a lot easier for me :) I have weeks where I don't lose, and weeks where I will lose 1.5lbs... in the end it all balances out and I've yet to hit a plateau but as I understand it, you can plateau no matter what your plan. Best of luck to you :)
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I always keep my carbs low. It gives me lasting energy throughout the day.
  • TravelingSpirit
    TravelingSpirit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 12 pounds since the first week in June also doing a generic low-carb diet. I'm not liking the low fruit consumption but I AM enjoying the first steady and progressive weight loss in many years and I'm very careful to work as many low carb/low glycemic/non starchy veggies as possible into my daily diet. I have felt no ill effects thus far ... but haven't felt a surge of energy yet either. I have a lot of weight to lose yet but I'm determined to stay with this as long as I continue to see results. Best of luck to you (as well as to myself) ....
  • tricelive
    tricelive Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am a low carb chic ; 90lbs + down in 8 months and counting. Small waist; very flat stomach. No saggy skin. I look and feel amazing. I stay under 20 grams most of the time. Cheat days - weekends bi-weekly. I go off sometimes for a week to reset. I do drink a.100oz a water and I work out 6 days a week. Do not listen to people who have negative comments about low carb lifestyle I love it. Especially my flat stomach it was the first thing to go... I mix Atkins and South Beach together. Find what works for u!
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic but I am eating like one trying to keep the (good) carbs around 60 per meal but stay with in my calories .
    I don't know if that is considered low or not (It is for me) but I am finally starting to see the scales move .
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a substantial amount of weight to lose. YMMV!
    I began eating low carb to reduce my blood sugar 13 weeks ago, and I have lost 50# in 13 weeks.
    I eat low carb (15% or less than 60g a day), moderately high protein (45-50%), and lower fat (35-40%).
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I have a substantial amount of weight to lose. YMMV!
    I began eating low carb to reduce my blood sugar 13 weeks ago, and I have lost 50# in 13 weeks.
    I eat low carb (15% or less than 60g a day), moderately high protein (45-50%), and lower fat (35-40%).

50lbs in 13 weeks? Please tell me that's a typo?
  • bethiepoo30
    Options
    I've been eating low carb since Sept. 2011. Prior to going low carb, I could not seem to get over a plateau. I had already lost 60 or 70 pounds. In my first month of low carb, I lost 14 pounds. In the second month, I lost 11 pounds. Low carb keeps my cravings in check. Additionally, I workout every day. I swim, I run, I weight lift, and I bike. Low carb has worked the best for me. Currently only have about ten to fourteen pounds to go. I'm in the best shape of my life and low carb has been a big part of it. Hang in there with it if you can.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I lost around 20 lbs last year following the South Beach diet; it took 4 months to do this. I kept them off even after I stopped following the diet. I decided to lose the last 25 lbs or so in June of this year. I lost 6 lbs the first 2-3 wks and that is where I am at now. I find following a low carb diet not too difficult. I would say that I am not hungry during the day, but I know that I would like to eat more. I eat too many calories/day if I am not following the diet. I love myfitnesspal; I found out about it at the same time when I restarted my weight loss.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I used Primal/paleo (marksdailyaple.com) as a guide for my lower carb food plan. I lost 70 lbs. in a year, 50 lbs. in the first five months keeping carbs <100g/day. I had steady weight loss without deprivation or hunger. My exercise was just walking and yardwork (hate gym-type exercise). When I hit my goal, I relaxed the logging and carb restriction and gained back 20 lbs. over the next year. Since January, I've been keeping carbs about 70 g/day, and am now within 4-5 lbs. of my original goal. It DOES work! I was fat, probably pre-type 2 diabetic, and puffing when I climbed one flight of stairs. Now, I care for and ride two horses every day for my exercise--which I wouldn't have been able to do at my original weight.
  • debb1010
    debb1010 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have found that for me, I function tons better on a low carb diet. Since I'm a carb-a-holic I'm only trying to rid myself of the bad carbs and increase my fruits and veggies and trying to balance a lot of stuff out. I feel SO SO SO much better when I cut the breads and pastas and all the sugar to next to nothing...ALL cravings go away, now I just eat to satisfy the hunger. Lays used to be my biggest downfall but not any longer. They dont even appeal to me like they used to. I do have days where I will eat stuff I havent been eating, like 4th of July cookouts. But then I walk away feeling horrible physically from putting all that junk back into my body after I've spent days and days trying to eat healthy!! When I feel the impact that bad foods has on my body, it really makes me not want to eat them. I feel the lower carb plan has been working very well for me thus far.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    It can def. be helpful. The higher fat and protein does seem to keep a person full longer.
    Choosing good carbs is better than not eating them at all. beans, whole grains, lentils, veggies...good choices.
  • DollyMae
    DollyMae Posts: 6
    Options
    I've been doing low carb since April 9th and I've lost 40 lbs. I chose to do low carb because it worked for my Mom many years ago and she lost over 100 lbs. I started out with Atkins but have kind of just adapted it to what feels comfortable for my body. I don't measure or weigh food I just don't eat any bread, sugar, otherwise high carb, or processed food. Partially because it's a hassle to count and also because I want somewhere to go if I do happen to plateau. I don't count calories either I tend to just eat whenever I'm hungry and leave it at that. I do have an experience I'd like to share that may be helpful to some if you find yourself in my situation. Last weekend I went on vacation to Vegas with friends and chose to cheat for those two days. I ate whatever we had in the room which was total crap like pop tarts and pizza. It was the first time I cheated. When I got home I was up 9 lbs! I knew it had to be largely water weight and went right back on plan. Two days later I was sill 8 lbs heavier. I started to freak out and wonder if I had ruined my diet. I also wasn't in ketosis anymore and was barely using the restroom. Finally yesterday I went back into ketosis and started peeing like crazy (lol sorry but in the interest of full disclosure) I am now back down to my pre Vegas weight but it took me almost 5 days and lots of feeling awful and misery to put myself right. All for two days of food and booze that wasn't that good to begin with. So anyway the point I'm trying to get at is, if you do happen to cheat and find yourself with an impossible gain looking up at you from the scale try to relax and give yourself some time to get things back on track. Then remember to file that horrible feeling away so you don't cheat again! lol I definitely will not be deaming bean burritos as worth all that hassle for a good long while. Hopefully someone learns from my pain! Good luck with your low carbing folks!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I want to thank all of you for your positive response I do have to find some recipes and I do have more research to do but so far I am liking the results
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    A good low carb recipe site is www.genaw.com\lowcarb.

I'm 71, eat <50 grams net carbs and >100 grams protein and 1000 calories a day (medically supervised for health reasons). I so Tai Chi, water aerobics, water zumba and yoga 3 days a week and strength training 3 days. I have never felt better.

There was an article in today's paper about a research study conducted by the Mayo Clinic on weight gain in post menopausal women. The conclusion said to decrease the carbs and up the protein to get rid of the roll around the belly that women get after menopause.

Ignorant people who make comments about how unhealthy low carb is or how you can exercise or how you'll be fuzzy brained haven't a clue what it is all about. I've tried just about every diet out there so I have facts to back up my contention that low carb is the best for me.
  • MrsMolly63
    Options
    Thank you for posting the low carb site addy, I have looked at it and there seems to be a lot of recipes that I would like to try. I am trying to eat low Carb Paleo and there are lots of gluten free recipes. You are so true when you say we all have to eat what is right for us.. just because something is good for you doesn't mean it's good for me and I respect that. Cheers
  • Bethweightloss2014
    Options
    My husband and I have been on the low carb diet (this is our life now) since July 2013. I have lost 21 lbs and he has lost about 45lbs. it works, but you need to really discipline your self and say I am not eating bread anymore. I hope this helps.