how to gain more strength to lift more.

Options
I wanna know how to gain more strength so i can gain more muscle.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do a program like Stronglifts or other 5x5 type of program that is geared towards strength.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options

Follow a program and eat and be consistent.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    You gain strength by progressively challenging your body a bit more each time (and eating enough to fuel the strength gains). If you have access to barbells, some good beginner strength programs are Stronglifts, Starting Strength and Ice Cream Fitness.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Eat. Eat. Eat.

Follow a program.

Be consistent.
    Options
    I want to gain more strength and muscle for every muscle groups

Progressive compound lifts followed by isolation/accessories. Find a program that suits you and eat food.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I recommend a slight calorie increase above maitence, and Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 program. So much better than Stronglifts.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Adequate protein ..minimum of 0.65-0.8g per lb body weight

Eating enough calories and a decent progressive programme

Structured online programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

Looking cut is down to low enough Body fat % which comes from eating at a defecit

gni98gyfgcqb.jpeg

So bulk and cut cycle (surplus then defecit) or recomp (either way will take you months / years depending on starting point)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What i really wanna do is get the body i always wanted and look all cutt up

Low body fat, adequate muscle mass and good genetics will determine a lot of that. A progressive lifting program and lots of time/realistic expectations will help. For most people, it takes years of dedication to get their ideal body.
    Options
    Mutually exclusive. To increase muscle you need to increase calories. Increasing calories means you will had some body fat. You can't be jacked and tan. Instead join "teamswoleandpasty. The calories are great over here!
    I recommend a slight calorie increase above maitence, and Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 program. So much better than Stronglifts.
    This. If you run 531 use the Big But Boring or the Triumvirate accessory program and then "Lean bulk" (+250 calories) per day.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

better is dependent on how advanced of a lifter you are and subjective based on your goals. A 5x5 program may be better than 5/3/1 for a beginner, where as 5/3/1 is very likely a better program for people with experience under their belt.

For example, If I had been following 5/3/1 strictly for the past 12 months I'd be operating off a 1RM somewhere under 280lb for squat (probably under 260lb actually due to time off and only lifting 2-3x/week instead of 3-4x). Following SL5x5 my 1RM is 330lb.

Anyways, as others said, following a good program. 5/3/1 and SL are both good options depending on where you are in your training.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

Then do what everyone is suggesting you do. Lift progressively with compound lifts, not 20 sets of dumbbell curls.

Eat at a caloric surplus

Push yourself and get rest, you grow outside of the gym.

Lift with intensity.

Do FRM, none of that half repping crap.

Don't let your ego choose the weights

Yes you can lower body fat percentage through lifting alone, in order to do that you'll have to be in a mild caloric deficit. I'm currently doing the same thing, my only form of cardio is weekly hikes since I'm surrounded by mountains and trails.

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Can you lose weight and have the body you want with out doing cardio and just bodybuilding.

If you want to loose weight, you have to be in a caloric deficit. Which means, you burn more calories then you intake daily. Cardio will burn more calories than fat, but weight training will do more for your overall physique. You can be skinny, and still look fat do to poor muscle definition. You can gain muscle while on a caloric deficit, but it will not be significant. If you want to maximize your muscle growth, you want to eat in a surplus. Eating more calories in a day then you burn. Doing so will cause you to gain weight from fat as well. Then you would have to cut to loose what fat weight you gained. There is no easy solution.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    My calories right know are 3,640 is that good for cutting getting the body you want.

If you are wanting to cut, you have to cut calories. You need a set goal. IE: I want to loose X lbs. per week (within reason). My Fitness Pal will then give you a daily calorie goal, along with your macros (protein, carbohydrates, fat). You can not cut and bulk at the same time, it's a process. You really need to figure out what your goals are, and I mean reasonable goals, and go from there.
  • hulesjames
    hulesjames Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!!!!!!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Can you lose weight and have the body you want with out doing cardio and just bodybuilding.

Just realize that this isn't a 6 month deal. You'll be at it for a minimum of 2 years before you're anywhere close to reaching an impressive physic. I'm currently coming up on my second year of serious lifting and dieting and I'll tell you, I look better than any of my friends, but I'm nowhere near where I want to be. It's a life goal not something you'll achieve over night.