Advice for hamstring injury.

Options
I strained my hamstring about three weeks ago during a run, took two full days to rest and recover, and then went back to a mix of running, yoga, and elliptical. It had been sore but not debilitating; I paid extra attention to warm up and stretching and used some arnica along with hot and cold compresses and Epsom salt baths.

Well...on Sunday at my 9.55k mark I did it again! I took a full day of rest, alternated heat and cold, massaged arnica, etc. and was able to walk a brisk pace this morning without limping.

I have a 10k to run on Saturday...anything else you can suggest to help me recover enough to run it? I was hoping to finish in under 60 minutes but I'd be happy at this point to just run the whole thing.

I'm getting plenty of protein, not restricting calories this week, and well hydrated. I'm also supporting it with a wrap and that seems to ease some of the discomfort.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rest it between now and then and see how it feels on Friday.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Rest. Ice. Get a compression sleeve if you can.

I strained my hammie 10 days out from my goal marathon last fall. I ran on it and it was honestly quite miserable. It survived about 15 miles before giving up completely. You can probably get through your 10k, but take some time afterward to rehab and restrenghten it (glute bridges work wonders).
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options

I strained my hammie 10 days out from my goal marathon last fall. I ran on it and it was honestly quite miserable. It survived about 15 miles before giving up completely. You can probably get through your 10k, but take some time afterward to rehab and restrenghten it (glute bridges work wonders).

It's my 40th birthday and I'm celebrating the loss of 130 pounds...I'll be so sad if I don't manage!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    I strained my hamstring about three weeks ago during a run, took two full days to rest and recover, and then went back to a mix of running, yoga, and elliptical. It had been sore but not debilitating; I paid extra attention to warm up and stretching and used some arnica along with hot and cold compresses and Epsom salt baths.

Well...on Sunday at my 9.55k mark I did it again! I took a full day of rest, alternated heat and cold, massaged arnica, etc. and was able to walk a brisk pace this morning without limping.

I have a 10k to run on Saturday...anything else you can suggest to help me recover enough to run it? I was hoping to finish in under 60 minutes but I'd be happy at this point to just run the whole thing.

I'm getting plenty of protein, not restricting calories this week, and well hydrated. I'm also supporting it with a wrap and that seems to ease some of the discomfort.
    Professional opinion- you don't NEED to run the 10k. A strain is a TEAR in the muscle. The more and more you continue to reinjure it, the more scar tissue will be prevalent and it will ALWAYS be an issue.
    Average time for a minor strain of the hamstring is about 3-6 weeks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Professional opinion- you don't NEED to run the 10k. A strain is a TEAR in the muscle. The more and more you continue to reinjure it, the more scar tissue will be prevalent and it will ALWAYS be an issue.
    Average time for a minor strain of the hamstring is about 3-6 weeks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I wish that there was a 'Sigh of Resignation' to go along with 'Like' and 'Awesome'.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

It's my 40th birthday and I'm celebrating the loss of 130 pounds...I'll be so sad if I don't manage!

Happy birthday and congrats on the amazing weight loss!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It happens, perhaps it's best to look at the future and enjoying running without injury.

Take it from somebody who completely ripped a hamstring, it's not exactly fun being off a year just for one race.
  • walkjem
    walkjem Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I strained my hammie while sprinting 13 weeks ago, my husband told me that when a football player does that, he is out for the season! We aren't professional athletes - we aren't that young and fit. Give it time to heal! I'm just now running (slowly) as it still has an occasional twinge/tight feeling.

Congrats on your weight loss and Happy 40th BD!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

First of all, congratulations! That's an amazing accomplishment. Here's my view on hamstring injuries: take care of that hamstring now, even if you need to miss a race. Those injuries can nag you for a long time.

Happy 40th!