1200 calories no longer working

Options
2»

Replies

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're doing a great job logging everything you eat... but, you've got some *really* bad entries. 3oz of chicken breast is approx. 126 calories, so 15oz would be 629. So, you're way underestimating the amount of calories you're eating.
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I know you don't want to hear that you are eating more calories than you think, and frankly with your level of reported exercise I wouldn't think a couple of hundred calories would matter, but checking your intake is always the first place to start. I've also heard it said that when you have very little to lose, small errors in logging can make the difference. So if 100-200 calories per day is the difference between gaining/maintaining/losing for you, check and weigh everything.

If you are not weighing ALL non-liquids by gram, your intake is an estimate and could be higher than you think. Even prepackaged food can be heavier (that is allowed by law) and therefore more calories than the package says.

I repeat the fact that you have questionable selections from the database (the database is full of wrong entries). Suggest you check a more reliable source for calorie/nutrition information for any non-packaged food and make sure it matches what you are putting in your diary. If you search online for USDA calories they have a website you can use.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I see logging inaccuracies in your diary...

1 medium apple, 1/2 cup of oats, 1/4 cup cranberries...those are things that need to be weighed. Some suspect entries, like some chips in there that say 15 chips but are only 24 calories? Seems unlikely.

You aren't actually eating 1200 calories. Your 7 day average is 1594 calories eaten. If your logging is off, that could easily be 10-20% higher and close to maintenance for you. Fitbit is giving you 300-500 calories a day, but it's possibly that is an overestimate if you are only doing cardio for 30 minutes on a lot of days. Add in some cheat days that are probably happening more than you realize...

If I were you, already at a healthy weight, I would try to figure out what your maintenance is, and log accurately. Whether that is 1500 or 1800 or 2200. Really get serious about logging and weighing everything. Get to the point where your log is accurate and you are maintain for 3 months. Effectively that's what's happening now, but your log is inaccurate so you don't know what the number is. Then you'll have a real number to work with, and good logging skills.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My first thought is overestimating calorie burns. You are being given 700+ calories. What are you doing on those days?

Step class and weight lifting

Along with the great advice you're getting on your food logging, are you getting your 700 calorie burns from MFP, or from a device such as a fitbit?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    @RGv2 In her original post she said that she gets them from Fitbit ;)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    07quc2zn4bqg.jpg
    1.jpg 135.4K
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    @RGv2 In her original post she said that she gets them from Fitbit ;)

Awesome @Gisel2015 , even after re-reading the OP twice I still missed it.

Is the fitbit giving you 700+ calorie burns on lifting days, or is that on days when you lift for 40ish min, and also do 30-60 min of cardio on top of it.

I'm in agreement that 700 sounds a bit high as well. As a 200lb guy, I'd struggle to get to 700+ in 60-90min of exercise.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think and possibly overestimating your burns.

Your diary is closed now, but I'm guessing that if you're eating 1200 net and eating back 700 calories of exercise, you're eating 1900 a day... add in 300-400 calories of underestimations and bad entries, and you're at maintenance, plain and simple.

So either start eating back only half your exercise calories, or tighten your logging.