sugar or hunny?

Options
Hi guys, I drink green tea with lemon and just swapped from 1 sugar to 1 tea spoon of hunny to sweeten it, I just put it into MFP and to my surprise hunny has nearly 3 times the amount of calories, is this correct, should I switch back to sugar?
I'm maintaining a low carb diet and thought the swap would be better for me

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Your body sees them both as sugar (except for some of the lovely micronutrients in honey), so from a purely calorie standpoint, you might want to go back to sugar.

For me, I prefer honey to sugar, because I can use a lot less and still be satisfied-- so I actually use fewer calories with honey than with sugar.

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Honey is awesome, especially if you're getting a nice local honey. I use both honey and sugar in various things - honey for oatmeal or in plain Greek yogurt, sugar for iced coffee, and one or the other in hot tea, depends on what I'm in the mood for.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    16 vs 22 calories per spoon. Not a huge difference, and you could us a bit less since it's sweeter. Honey is definitely better for you
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I do hot green tea too, and I just throw in a few packets of Splenda. I don't even count the calories because each packet has 4 calories if I remember right... which is nothing really.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Call me baby.