Eating back half my workout calories. Yea or Nay?

Options
Because the calories burnt listed on MFP are so inflated, I've been eating back half the calories it tells me I can. I can't afford a heart rate monitor at the moment.

Am I over simplifying or is this ok?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Trash the net calories system and switch to TDEE and don't log exercise calories
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Its fine. And depending on what you are logging, not all of the numbers are over-inflated.

A good blog on the subject
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/estimating-calories-activity-databases-198041
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    sorta depends on what base amount of calories you're eating. if you're set for 1200, i'd eat them all back. if you're set for a more reasonable amount, say 1700ish, i'd experiment with eating all, half, or some other portion of the calories.

the key is to stop trying to figure out the calories and to start figuring out the results. pick an amount to eat back and check your scale results for 3-4 weeks. is the scale moving? if so, which direction? adjust according to your scale results, not some mythical calorie figure from MFP, HRM, TDEE, or any other capital letters.