Fruits and veggies

Options
I'm curious if anyone counts the calories in fruits and vegetables as part of their daily caloric intake? More specifically veggies such as carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers etc. Does anyone think this is necessary?

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fruit, but, I track carrots since they are a little more calorie dense than broccoli, etc. I don't track any other veggies.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I track them all..,,
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yes, I count them all.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I eat massive amounts of fruits and veggies, I absolutely track them all. It all adds up with weight loss, and its also a great way to track your nutrients.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    They have calories (and fruits can easily have 100+ calories), so I track them
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am tracking them right now.

When I am trying to eat clean I do not count green vegetables and allow myself an unlimited amount. It helps curb snacking as I know I can eat veggies for free instead of feeling guilty about going over my caloric limit with anything else.
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I track everything I eat.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad: 100-350 calories....it can add up quick!

Sweet potatoes, corn (more of a grain), Brussels, squash....etc all still has a significant amount of calories
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Of course! Why track if you're only tracking some items? My body tracks the calories even if I don't. If there's anything I want to pretend I didn't eat it sure isn't fruits and veggies! :p
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if anyone counts the calories in fruits and vegetables as part of their daily caloric intake? More specifically veggies such as carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers etc. Does anyone think this is necessary?

Calories count regardless of where they come from
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Let's say you have a calorie goal of 1,300 calories...and you eat and log those 1,300 calories except for the veggies and fruit...but you've also eaten 200 calories worth of veggies and fruit...guess what...you didn't eat 1300 calories, you ate 1500 calories. Your body counts them regardless...a calorie is just a unit of energy...your body counts all calories.

I usually eat around 4-6 servings of veg per day and 2-3 servings of fruit...those calories add up regardless of whether you're counting them in your little diary or not.

That said, I never worried about being "exact" on my salad or whatever or logging a couple slices of cucumber or something...I was always a little more loosey goosy with vegetable logging, but I still logged.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care if you log everything or nothing. Logging has nothing to do with actual weight loss. Logging is a tool for gathering information. Whether to log something or not depends on how accurate you want your information to be.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course. I don't limit vegetables at all, but I log what I eat when I'm logging.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes, I count everything, even condiments.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I count them all
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    yes. its mostly what i eat.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I count them, but I don't really weigh them. Things like cucumbers, bell peppers, broccoli, celery, carrots, and so on, I don't really care about weighing. I just guess. While the calories in those things do matter, I feel like they are small enough and I am active enough where it's not worth the stress.

Fruits are a little different because they have a higher calorie count and can make more of a different if I eat too many without caring.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I don't track my food now, but when I did, yes, I counted all foods.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I count them all. If I didn't my macros would be all screwed up as well as my calories, especially fibre which I keep a close eye on.

The other day I had 2 bananas and 300g of broccoli, just these 2 little things add up to 260 calories.