Polar FT4 & FitBit

Options
2»

Replies

• lcantrell65
    lcantrell65 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Save your $$$ up and get BOTH of them. They do two different things. You won't regret the money you spend on either one of them!
  • rockann16
    rockann16 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Like many that have answered I have both. I use my Polar for and accurate calorie burn during my workouts and I use my FB to keep me active the rest of the day. It helps me to see where I am on steps throughout the day and if I'm low it reminds me to get off my butt and move. Good luck with your Polar and if you can investing in the FB wouldn't be a waste either.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I also have both. I use my HRM for calorie progress during exercises, and I wear my Fitbit Zip all day to see how many calories I've burned just by "doing my day".

Plus, the Fitbit badges and announcements through the site make me feel all buff 'n' stuff. :laugh:
  • Tflowers34907
    Tflowers34907 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well the only reason I was even considering both was because they were on sale for the 4th of July. What I am willing to spend in fitness toys is limited as well until I get a better understanding of what exactly works for me. I am already pretty active because i have a full time (40 hrs/week) job in a hotel and a part time job (25-30 hrs/week) as a waitress that require me to do quite a bit of walking and lifting. I also do not have a car so it is not unusual for me to walk 2-3 miles a day outside of work doing errands, going to the bus station, making a lunch run, or just trying to take in some sunshine. Lol, I have no trouble staying on the move. I guess I don't really understand how you can be rewarded for burning "extra calories" if its all apart of your regular day. Wouldn't this be more helpful from a maintenance perspective? I don't count my trips to to the bus station in my exercise because its a normal part of life for me. Am I thinking about this all wrong??
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I walk 17 miles a day as part of my normal day, I sure as hell count that as exercise. Fitbit gives me about 600 more calories than the 800 or so I just burnt off on my workout. I walk everywhere, don't drive at all ( never have) and I am physically unable to sit for more than 5 mins a day. Anything above not doing anything is burning more calories. No way in hell I could eat what I eat & still lose.

Walking to the supermarket 7km round trip a day is part of my normal day but it's sure more than catching the bus. I don't understand why people don't class walking any-time as extra exercise?
  • Tflowers34907
    Options
    Yes walking it would require more effort than catching the bus but if you walk 17 miles a day everyday and this a normal part of your routine, why is it counted as exercise? If you're doing this everyday shouldn't your body be used to it? I could see it being counted for the first few months or so until you get acclimated to it maybe but once you are used to it, how is it contributing to weight loss efforts when you have to do just that much more to push yourself or break past a plateau?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Nope still counted as exercise. Walking is a great form of it & the more you do the better you are off. That would mean anyone that does something like dancing, or lifting weights should not count it at all after a while because it's part of what they do...even if not every day. If people lift heavy weights every day then after a few weeks it should no longer be counted? Just cause it's part of their 'every day'? Nope I don't think so.

17 miles a day is no small or easy task. It takes a hell of a lot f work to get that far...and I do it because I want to...not cause I have to. I actually strive to get that far each day, I plan it from the moment I wake up. Just like my workout. I did nothing but zumba for the first 4 months of losing weight.... it was exercise & I counted it as such. Going by that same reasoning then after 2 months lets say...it should no longer be counted cause it was an 'everyday thing'.

Fitbit is great that way cause it knows I'm doing more than nothing... and rewards me for doing so.
  • Tflowers34907
    Options
    I think if you lift the same weights everyday and your body is used to it, no. If you're still building endurance or strength from said activity, sure. If you're not growing from it I don't see why it counts. How is it helping one progress? That is what I am asking and not getting any answer to. Its ok though, I've made my decision about what I am going to purchase based off what I know works for me. But hey, to each his own. :drinker:
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    There are so many Ft4 users on this thread, i'd love some feedback on eating all your exercise calories back. Most people tend to say they don't eat back all exercise cals back, is that because even though your calorie burn came from an ft4, you still believe it's still only an estimate so you only eat back a fraction of your burn. If so, whats your fraction?

Remember, you already have a built in deficit on MFP from food, so you should have the liberty to eat back ALL your exercise cals from your Ft4

Thanks
  • Tflowers34907
    Options
    There are so many Ft4 users on this thread, i'd love some feedback on eating all your exercise calories back. Most people tend to say they don't eat back all exercise cals back, is that because even though your calorie burn came from an ft4, you still believe it's still only an estimate so you only eat back a fraction of your burn. If so, whats your fraction?

Remember, you already have a built in deficit on MFP from food, so you should have the liberty to eat back ALL your exercise cals from your Ft4

Thanks

Excellent question!!
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to lose so not much but I'm thinking half when I maintain unless it's something special, a night out, party, etc.
    I wonder when someone said they burned 500 in 30 minutes, if the reason they aren't losing is they are eating back calories they didn't really burn. Everyone is different though, different metabolisms, etc. You have to learn to know your own body and what you can do to maintain the weight.