Butter, light butter spread or butter substitute?

13»

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    BUTTER, definitely. Kerrygold is my fave.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Butter. I hardly have it though. And butter sold in the US doesn't even compare to the European stuff.
  • griffith5150
    griffith5150 Posts: 123
    Butter or olive oil, really stuff! I been noticing the fake stuff makes my stomach go nuts.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Mmmmm....buuuttter.....
    [img][/img]8509338018_4dd92fc9c0_n.jpg
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    none
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Mmmmm....buuuttter.....
    [img][/img]8509338018_4dd92fc9c0_n.jpg
  • weightwatcher_girl
    weightwatcher_girl Posts: 30 Member
    I used to use 'light' spread but had to stop buying it when I found that when heated it looks an awful lot like cottage cheese...I started using real butter instead and I'm so glad I did, sure I have around 60 calories more than I would've with the spread but it's so much nicer, especially locally produced butter.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    youdontknowwhatyousaw Posts: 221 Member
    I'm with the Kerrygold butter people. I will never use a different store bought butter, again . The taste is just amazing. And it holds up sitting on the counter, even if the air conditioner isn't on, it stays soft and spreadable without melting into a puddle.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Recently, when making cheese I decided to skim the fat off my raw cows milk and make some butter
    I'm jealous that you have raw milk. It is illegal to buy here unless you get some special cow share/get it on the sly/get it 'for the animals' or some such thing. I haven't located a good supplier yet and I really want to make my own cheese.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Real butter. The butter substitutes tend to have bad fats. Plus real butter tastes better.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I like spreads because they do not churn all my bread up when I am trying to make my sandwiches and I like low calorie spread because it is low calorie.

Same for me, plus I like salt and salted butter has too much in it per serving. Unsalted butter is not tasty, especially on popcorn. I use Becel Light spread. #YOLOSWAG
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    I was using country crock (100 cals per tbs) but recently tried smart balance light made with flax seed oil... its really good, and only 50 cals per tbs :)
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    I like spreads because they do not churn all my bread up
    I've heard that it's ok to leave your butter on the counter (in a crock or something) so it's always soft, rather than in the kitchen. That would solve the bread problem.
  • vec2013
    vec2013 Posts: 30 Member
    The only butter substitute ever recommend in my nutrition classes was Earth Balance. It was recommended for vegans and non-dairy eaters. It costs about the same as butter, but is much harder to find.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    I love the taste of real butter but tend to get lurpak spreadable because it spreads from the fridge. Its a butter-veg oil blend.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    I like spreads because they do not churn all my bread up
    I've heard that it's ok to leave your butter on the counter (in a crock or something) so it's always soft, rather than in the kitchen. That would solve the bread problem.

It would not solve the calorie problem however, or the fact that butter can go off (when out of the fridge) and when rancid..... have you ever smelt or tasted rancid butter, not nice for taste - or belly. :sick:

(Edited due to missing a word out)