Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How much weight do I have to lose to get down to this size...?

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    5ft, 6in and pear shaped here-my maintenance range is the 120s and I wear a size small top, size 4 jeans.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    "size 6" is such a fluid concept anyway, but I have ordered clothes from Japan and China, which I assume have similar stuff as Korea, and I'm pretty consistently a large at 5'3'' 130 pounds.

I'm a small here and I'm quite sure that even in Europe I'd be at least a medium. But last I was there, they didn't have XSmall like we do here either.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    This is driving home how totally arbitrary sizes are. At my height/weight we have ladies wearing 10s to 4s!

I'm 5'4" and wear a 4 or 6 in jeans/slacks at 141 lbs. small in tops, 4 dresses. At my usual 135-137, it's a solid 4 with an occasional 2. Small/xs tops, 2/4 dresses.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Obviously like people have said it depends on your shape and what you're wearing (pants vs dresses, brand, etc.) Personally I'm 5'5", 165-170ish, and about a 12.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    "size 6" is such a fluid concept anyway, but I have ordered clothes from Japan and China, which I assume have similar stuff as Korea, and I'm pretty consistently a large at 5'3'' 130 pounds.

I'm a small here and I'm quite sure that even in Europe I'd be at least a medium. But last I was there, they didn't have XSmall like we do here either.

Yeah, here I'm always a small, but when I order from Japan and China, it's p much always a large, sometimes XL
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member
    It really depends on your build. I'm 125lbs and wear size 6-8. You can't do anything against wide shoulders and hip bones.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I am not trying to be mean but how does a sleeping pill make you gain weight if you are sleeping?

THIS

Eating more calories than your body burns will result in gaining weight. Nothing else has that effect.
  • MultipleHigh5s
    MultipleHigh5s Posts: 49 Member
    I would say if you are particularly pear shaped maybe 120, if you are tummy and boob heavy you could weigh more and be a size 8. But it will depend on you muscle fat ratio too, so you won't know till you get there. Why not just get someone to actually make your clothes ? Some sort of seamstress or tailor?
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Hi! I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm new here...
    I've had people telling me I'd look "Anorexic" if I went smaller than a size 10..

People used to tell me the same thing. Then I got to 145 lbs on my 5'6" frame. My skirts were a size 5 and some of my shirts were an XS. Not a single person told me I looked anorexic! In fact, all those people who told me that I'd look since at 140 lbs told me I looked fantastic. People just aren't used to seeing you that small, so they can't figure it out in their minds. Once you get there and they see it, it's all good ;)
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    skbrodie wrote: »
    At a size 6 I was probably around 145 lbs. I'm 5'6. I would say a person my height definitely does not look anorexic below a size 10. When I was a size 6 I still could have lost weight and been fine.

Same here...I had planned on still losing another 10 lbs and would have still liked fine at 135 lbs.

Then life happened and I regained all the weight, plus another 30 lbs. I'm almost back down to my original starting weight though and aiming for 140 lbs as a goal weight.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    When I was a size 10-14, I looked like a size 6, and most people didn't believe me when I told them my real size (Some friends have even turned me around to check the tag on my jeans...)

Are you sure they aren't getting sizes mixed up- a UK 10.5 is a US size 6. Anyway, for clothing I'd go by measurements not weight- as body composition alters weight. As a guide- a UK size 6 is 34.65 low hip generally, and a 23-24 inch waist. (though Next and M&S are vanity-sized up one size - so a 6 is really an 8)

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    This whole discussion is kind of bassackwards if you ask me. You should probably focus on body fat percentage instead. Some body types won't go below certain sizes even at the lower end of healthy body fat percentages due to skeletal realities. I'm a person who goes quickly down through jean sizes for instance, but I have broad shoulders and long arms that don't magically shrink away at a low body fat percentage. So I might diet my way to a 2 in jeans but I'll still need a size medium jean jacket!
    And as others pointed out sizing in women's clothing in general is kind of a hot mess. In Asia you may find less size variation between brands but the clothing may indeed be too small for your frame, period. There's a lot more to good fit than just garment width... The cut of the armholes, the length of inseams, where finishing touches like darts and waistbands hit your torso. Save yourself grief by finding a good mail order source for western clothing. You might find ordering out of Australian or New Zealand sources more economical.
    The 'size' of an arbitrary piece of clothing is never going to satisfy you on this quest. Learning your true body fat percentage is much more useful.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    FYI: joking about 'looking anorexic' is really sort of silly, and verges on humble bragging. Anorexia is a terrible medical condition and in my experience the only people who truly 'look anorexic' are the actual anorexics. Other folks are just slim or slightly built. If your body fat has never dipped below the 20's in terms of percentage (which is probably true if you're a size 10) rest assured your appearance is and will remain entirely normal.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    I am hour glass shaped/fairly hippy after having 3 children: I am 5'4" wear a size 6 and I'm 128 lbs. BODY makeup is going to determine this, so it's so hard to tell...I would say continue your journey and pay attention to your own body: you'll find your own sweet spot!!
  • GetThatRunnersHigh
    GetThatRunnersHigh Posts: 112 Member
    Hi Peppermint, I can't help much with weight/clothing size relativity since everyone's built different, but I do have a lot of experience with buying clothes from Japan/China/Korea.

For reference, I am 5'2", 125 pounds, 37"-26.5"-36". This puts me at a US 4 in most brands. I am a Large in all of the Asian clothes I own. Most stores do carry XL, which should correspond to US 6-8 with a 28"-30" waist. You also need to keep in mind that a lot of straight off the rack stuff might be 1 or 2 inches shorter on you. One thing I really need to point out is the different proportions on Asian clothing. For a corresponding waist or bust measurement, the shoulder and hip measurements will be narrower than western counterparts.

But if you can't find something you like in stores, local seamstresses will custom make clothing for you for <$50 USD, which honestly is a great bargain for something tailored to your body.
  • BethE36
    BethE36 Posts: 11 Member
    I am 5'5.5" with a medium, pear shaped build. and I was about 130 when I was a size 6. Trying to get back there, or just above, now too. Wishing you the best on your weight loss and overseas journey!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    This discussion highlights how incredibly frustrating it is to have to deal with non standardized clothing sizes and the whole "vanity sizing" phenomenon prevalent in our society today. For example, there really is no size "000" - its just a 2 or a 4 thats had the size arbitrarily changed downward!! XSmall doesnt exist either - its an arbitrary change moving a 4 or a 6 downward. AND, a size 2,4 or 6 wasnt a standard to begin with! Women are being gamed by the clothing industry to be ashamed of wearing above or below a certain size, and its despicable.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    I'm 5'6" at 127 lbs in US size 4. I felt awesome once I got to a size 8. It's a shame the sizing of clothing is such an issue there. Certain medications can be tricky. They can make you feel hungrier, retain fluid, or even slow down your ability to burn calories. Glad you made it off the medication and now you can devote your time into making a difference without your body fighting you on it. Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    I'm 5'1" and have a large frame and big boobs. I wear a size 4/6 at around 130lbs thanks to vanity sizing. For comparison, when I was in high school 20+ years ago, same weight, and I was a size 8/10.

Here is a great website to see what different women of different weights look like at the same height http://www.mybodygallery.com/
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    I think it just depends on your shape although vanity sizing is definitely more prevalent in the U.S. I'm 135lbs and 5'9. Mostly I'm a 4, sometimes a 6. But in the UK I would never fit in an 8 ( supposed to be the equivalent of a 4 but actually much smaller).