Question regarding medication and weight loss

Options
Hello. I've dealt with depression for 10 years now, and I am on pretty significant doses of 3 different antidepressants/anxiety meds. I guess my main concern is if I will be able to lose a large amount of weight while taking depression meds. I have come to accept that I will always be on some kind of medication (hopefully lower dosage), but I also want to lose weight. I've lost 11 pounds since I started on February 22, but it feels like a slow process. I thought I would lose a little faster since I am very heavy. Does anyone know how antidepressants affect weight loss and if it's possible to lose weight while on a large dosage? I want to be healthy and exercise and eat right regardless, but it's much more motivating when I see the scale number go down. I've tried to do some research online and the main answer is "no one knows why antidepressants can cause weight gain." So..not very helpful. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    My understanding (I'm no expert though!) is that meds that lead to weight gain are actually affecting appetite. Maybe they affect your metabolism too?

Your best bet is to put your stats into MFP, get your calorie goal and start logging everything accurately and consistently. Give it 4-6 weeks, and if at that point you aren't seeing the results you should, cut your cals back a couple of hundred and try again. Not sure that's much help either though. Best of luck!
  • weightwatcherjoan
    weightwatcherjoan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight issue, even after having five children until I was put on Zoloft . My weight quickly skyrocketed. I went off the Zolft twice and both times, my weight went back down. After two years off meds, I started taking Lexapro and gained again. I joined Weight Watchers at 182 pounds and went down 32 pounds in 32 weeks. I did this while still on the Lexapro and kept the weight off for two years. When I stopped going to meetings, the weight started creeping up. I went off the meds 19 months ago and have been yo yo ing up and down . Those fat cells never go away, they only shrink. Anyway, the meds DO cause the weight gain, but you CAN lose weight on them if you consistently work at it. It is a life long struggle to lose and keep the weight off. :-(
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    You did not put the excess weight on overnight (unless I totally slept through a major concept in human physiology class). Therefore you will not take off that weight overnight (unless you let your appendix rupture like my brother, which he recommends against. He couldn't keep anything down and lost 35 pounds in 4 days.)

You have lost 11 pounds in just under 2 months. You ARE losing weight on your meds. Don't be so hard on yourself. Keep doing what you are doing. It works.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Do the meds help? If not stop them after discussing with your MD of course. Meds=bandaid.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Hello. I've dealt with depression for 10 years now, and I am on pretty significant doses of 3 different antidepressants/anxiety meds. I guess my main concern is if I will be able to lose a large amount of weight while taking depression meds. I have come to accept that I will always be on some kind of medication (hopefully lower dosage), but I also want to lose weight. I've lost 11 pounds since I started on February 22, but it feels like a slow process. I thought I would lose a little faster since I am very heavy. Does anyone know how antidepressants affect weight loss and if it's possible to lose weight while on a large dosage? I want to be healthy and exercise and eat right regardless, but it's much more motivating when I see the scale number go down. I've tried to do some research online and the main answer is "no one knows why antidepressants can cause weight gain." So..not very helpful. Thanks for any help!

Yes it is still possible to lose weight on a high dosage. Most psych meds have the ability to cause increased appetite, which leads to over eating and this weight gain. Can't remember the name of one- but some meds actually slow your metabolism slightly, this causes weight gain because the number of calories you have to consume to lose weight becomes lower.