What's the biggest pain in the butt when it comes to cooking at home?

Options
I read that cooking healthy meals at home has many advantages that will help lose weight. You control the ingredients, portion size, etc. But why don't people cook more? Please share your thoughts!=)

Replies

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Time and energy. I cook at least 8 meals a week at home. We hardly ever go out to eat. That being said, I'm a full time mother of 6, with only 4 of them still at home. Finding quick meals that are nutritious is a huge help to me. I've also instituted chore charts for my littles. The 17 and 16 year olds get $5 a day when I don't cook, but they have to make meals that I can eat too. The 11 and 5 year olds get to help and make $1 per side if they do. I find it a huge help to be able to work out and then cook, but we don't eat until late if I do that. I also have found several crock pot recipes that I use periodically throughout the week so that I can fit in the time for a good meal and a good workout. Getting up earlier won't work for me as I have to be to the office at 630 in the morning. Pinterest is my favorite place to find easy meals with my diet specifications.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I know only one person that doesn't cook regularly: she and her husband eat out for every meal. I cook all but two meals every week. It's not hard or complicated, you just need a little planning and organization.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    There is no downside except trying to find tupperware for all the extra meals I make. There is also no excuse. The time you spend going out and getting food is more than enough to make your own.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    When my kids were little cooking was a chore because they were big in sports and I didn't have a lot of time. Now that they are grown I love to cook. I love trying recipes and experimenting with different things. But it takes planning, organization and time.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Cost for me.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Since moving to a country with practically 0 convineince foods.... It's been hard to adjust to cooking every day for every meal.

The only thing that sucks (other than the time, which, okay, it's not that bad) is the fact that i dirty every damn dish in my house every day.

But some things i can think of:
    fresh foods must be used quickly whereas convenience foods don't
    fresh foods take longer to cook than convenience foods
    fresh foods can cost more than some convenience foods (atleast if you don't know how to shop)
    fresh foods require meal planning whereas convenience foods are already prepared
    fresh foods are difficult to portion control whereas convenience foods are already portioned out
    fresh foods require knowledge of preparation whereas convenience foods don't

So, yeah. I don't know. I've made it work and i can honestly say it's not so bad. I DO miss some frozen lunches like amy's, lean cuisine, etc. but i think my dinners and breakfasts now are more tasty than before. For some reason at lunch time i'm just not feeling like doing a damn thing!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    For me, as a single person, cooking every meal tends to be a chore, although I do enjoy cooking. Yes, that is a contradiction but it's mostly because of the clean up that I don't like. This is why I spend my Sunday mornings food prepping for the entire week. This way my kitchen gets messed up once and then cleaned.

This. I'm married, but my husband is active duty military overseas right now, so I'm cooking for just myself. I like cooking, but the hassle of having to clean up afterward is what keeps me from cooking as often. That being said, I don't eat out. About once a week I'll visit family and they'll cook dinner, or I'll meal prep for a few days ahead. I've also had "simple" meals ie sandwiches, frozen meals, leftovers, etc when I want something from home but don't want to cook.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I cook all the time, so I guess the question doesn't apply to me so well. When I don't, the main reasons are either poor planning--I have to make time to cook lunches ahead or if I am at work past dinner time I have to bring it--or social life (my friends like to go out to dinner on the weekends).

What made cooking go from seeming like a time consuming chore to something fun and easy (this transition happened about 15 or more years ago) was probably simply becoming more confident and experienced in the kitchen, but also learning that I could just wing it with the ingredients I had at home vs. having to cook from a recipe and stop at the store first. This also solved my problem with buying things and having them go bad. Now, since I use what I have, I never have vegetables or other perishables go bad. (Learning to use up my CSA boxes also was an interesting experience.)
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I don't mind cooking but when I slack off on it it's because of time and energy. While working full time and taking night classes, and going to my boyfriend's place on weekends an hour away from my place - meal prep is hard to make time for. Plus I don't have a dishwasher so ugh...so many dishes. I am doing better with it now though. I just have to really think ahead and plan things out before I go shopping, and force myself to cook even if I'm tired and just want to sit on the couch.
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Shopping and the cleanup after. Otherwise I enjoy the actual cooking part. But it does take a certain degree of planning otherwise life gets busy and it's easy to just grab something quick. It did get easier over time once I developed some go-to meals the hubby and I liked.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    I'm single and live alone. Yet, when I cook I make enough for forty two people. Seriously, I made a pot of chicken and rice Thursday night that's still half used in the fridge.
    Where did I stash all my single-serve Tupperware?!?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    For me, as a single person, cooking every meal tends to be a chore, although I do enjoy cooking. Yes, that is a contradiction but it's mostly because of the clean up that I don't like. This is why I spend my Sunday mornings food prepping for the entire week. This way my kitchen gets messed up once and then cleaned.

This. I don't find it to be fun to cook one portion of something every single night. I'll batch cook on weekends, including some Fridays and have a freshly-cooked meal 3 nights a week, then. The rest is portioned out in the freezer to be reheated.

It's much more satisfying to cook up a pound of hamburger, a jar of pasta sauce and a box of pasta, eat one serving and freeze 5, compared to portioning out the meat into 5-6 smaller portions, freezing it all, thawing what I need, making sure excess sauce is portioned out and frozen, etc.

~Lyssa
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Having a toddler and a newborn.. finding a time when they are both settled is difficult. But otherwise I love cooking, as long as someone else does the dishes ;)
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I cook probably 19 dinners out of 20 I eat, but sometimes I got so tired of my same old recipes but can't find any good and healthy new ones with produce that's in season etc. so I start to slack off a little and just make a salad or something simple. But since I don't like frozen convenience type food, I have no choice really so I try to get out of my rut and try new things from time to time. (And I also don't like re-heated food so I always just cook for one meal)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I honestly didn't even bother learning to cook until I started MFP. The extent of my cooking before was fried eggs, pasta, and cooking plain meat in a pan. Just didn't see the point of learning when I could just eat out or have some convenience food at home.

Now I cook most nights but the main pains in the butt are

- figuring out something that I feel like eating AND fits my calories AND that everyone else will eat too
    - timing everything so the main and sides are ready at the same time (still failing often)
    - clean up sucks (plus cleaning the table and clearing the table and putting leftovers away)
    - my kitchen isn't that big and counter space can be limited
    - and frankly having to weigh every ingredients and use the recipe builder here.

Cooking for myself at lunch is a breeze and much more enjoyable than making dinner for everyone, frankly.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Doing the dishes.

My husband cooks most of our meals M-F right now because he gets off work earlier. I do the meal planning and post-meal cleanup.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and believe in taking advantage of microwave, pressure cooker and slow cooker. My husband loves when I cook roasts in the oven or beans in the pressure cooker. Both allow plenty of time to do other things intermittently while the food cooks.

Biggest drawback to cooking is when my husband eats his food and the foods I have prepared for myself, but I don't say anything, just plan to replenish the supply sooner.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people convince themselves they don't have time.

For me, I cook Monday-Friday after working all day, and commuting 35-45 minutes home. It's not that big of a deal. Can it be tiresome? Sometimes, but only if I've had a rough/long day.

Many people I work with are amazed when they find out I go home and cook dinner each night... Like I'm not supposed to do that just because I don't have kids. For the most part, I enjoy cooking. And I definitely enjoy eating my food, and the appreciation I get when I cook for someone else. :)