NSV!

Options
I JOGGED ON THE TREADMILL!!!

It might not sound like much to you guys, but there are several reasons that this is a big deal:
1. I've never gone above a brisk walk on the treadmill
2. I am one of the least coordinated people on the planet, so jogging on a treadmill is actually an extreme sport for me
3. I have a heart condition and a pacemaker, so I have a lot of fear sitting on my shoulders. But I beat the fear!

I ran for a total of 10 minutes in a 25-minute period at 8km/hr (just shy of 5mph), which I did most of in two-minute bursts. It's not a marathon, or a half marathon, or a 10km or even a 5km. But it's a frickin' huge deal for me, because it has opened my mind up to the possibilities of the human body (once you stop letting the mind get in the way). I'm also not scared of the treadmill anymore :tongue:

Happy Saturday, everyone!

DISCLAIMER: Before anyone has a go at me for running with a heart condition, yes, I asked my doctor and I am allowed to jog. He doesn't want me going in for high-adrenaline or highly stressful things (so there goes running an ultra-marathon, dangit :tongue: ), but he okayed me for jogging 5km, and for doing hikes that aren't too crazy, and as my fitness improves then there are more possibilities. My condition basically causes arrhythmias, and for other versions of the same condition exercise is contra-indicated, especially swimming and running. But with MY version it is recommended that I avoid emotional distress and sudden shocks like alarm clocks, and raising my heart rate actually seems to help, thus the pacemaker. It's all good, people! :happy:

Replies

• jennifercurtiswallace
    Options
    Congratulations! I know how hard it is to get to that run. I felt like running today but didn't want anyone to see me :)
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I agree... The body can do way more than the mind thinks it can. :)
  • Stogie40
    Stogie40 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    That's amazing well done.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    wtg
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    2. I am one of the least coordinated people on the planet, so jogging on a treadmill is actually an extreme sport for me

First, CONGRATULATIONS!

Second, I totally get your #2. I only run outside because when I stop moving I need the surface beneath me to not be moving either. The treadmill scares me.
  • fitbyfaith75
    fitbyfaith75 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great job! What an awesome victory for you.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    WTG:flowerforyou:

I'm still not there and DON"T have either a heart condition OR a pacemaker. Any bursts I do on the treadmill are in second increments not minutes at this stage. Great NSV for you!!!
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) Now, to better it this week...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!