Alternate to running on treadmil ?

Options
My feet literally hurta until next day the dat i jog for about 45min in treadmill burning around 600 calories.

Any alternate cardio excercises that are easier for the feet burns the same amount of calories in same time?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I personally can't stand running. I much prefer cycling. If you get a decent bike and a trainer you can use the bike outside and inside on the trainer.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Treadmill = dreadmill. My feet burn when on the treadmill too! Have you tried hiking, rock climbing, swimming or biking?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Cycling is less impact on the feet and still a cardio workout. I prefer it to (as @queenliz99 said) the dreadmill, mostly because I get terribly bored.
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Looking for something that I can do Indoor.....:)...somehow running on treadmill is the only thing that makes me sweat like hell. Haven't tried cycling intensively yet....but yeah worth doing I guess.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Try rowing. I really enjoy it. I have an old knee injury that doesn't like impact exercise. I row about 5-6 days per week and so far so good. Burns crazy calories too
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Run outside!
  • JagZag
    JagZag Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike with tension adjustments can burn a lot of calories if you work at it.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Cycling on a stationary bike, preferably recumbent as it's easier on your back but regular is fine. You can get your heart rate up something fierce, especially if it's programmable where it signals "speed up/slow down."
  • 2BeeFit2016
    2BeeFit2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try the elliptical, easy on the knees and feet. The last time i went hiking, the arch of my foot began to hurt to the point i could not even walk without pain. So i have to stay away from running and hiking until it gets better (Dr's. orders). But the elliptical is, in my opinion a good choice and you can burn the calories you want as well.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just got a new Nautilus exercise bike last week and haven't felt any impact on my feet. It has a holder for a tablet also. I place my tablet on it and pull up a bike trail or bike trainer video on Youtube. It eliminates the boredom, for me anyway.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »
    Run outside!

^^^ That's my preference but I also row regularly a x-training and it's probably one of the few things that can give you burns close to running (and, if done properly, you're getting a great, full body cardio workout)

If you do decide to go with a stationary bike don't fall into the trap of grinding it out slowly on high resistance (unless you're intentionally trying to mimic hill climbing) try to keep your cadence around the 90rpm range (same with rowing, avoid grinding it out at a low stroke rate, at least until you've developed impeccable form)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Spin classes are fun!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Make sure your shoes fit well, get some prosthetics (inserts) if you must. That really made all the difference for me. The elliptical is a good alternative, swimming is an excellent alternative as well and helps with breath control. Plus, swimming is such a different activity to running, using different muscle groups.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You could alternate machines...I get bored on the elliptical and bike, but doing rounds of 5-10 min for each cardio machine breaks up the monotony. You should also check your shoes and let your body adjust to increases in exercises before giving them up.
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Been doing treadmil for years and been tolerating the pain somehow ...as long as shoes are concerned I am almost sure the ones I have really help me with jogging.

But at a point where I want to get rid of torturing the feet lol....but enjoy the cardio.

May be rowing or elliptical is the way to go ...
  • pochb
    pochb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    elliptical machine burns calories more efficiently than running on a treadmill.. however, since it has no impact, it doesn't help on bone density. maybe mix it up so there's no overuse injury or boredom... rowing sounds something I'd also wanna try though...
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have planterfacitis in one foot and I can do the elliptical in bare feet without problems. Running outside is also much less painful than a treadmill.
  • robbyf1971
    robbyf1971 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I had issues with running with a nagging calf injury. I switch to elliptical and then to the Arc Trainer. Both are much easier on joints and the program I do on the Arc trainer really is a tough workout.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You can try walking outdoor or eliptical
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Looking for something that I can do Indoor.....:)...somehow running on treadmill is the only thing that makes me sweat like hell. Haven't tried cycling intensively yet....but yeah worth doing I guess.

Do the stationary bike. That way your assy will hurt instead of your feet. :+1: