Need help please :)

Options
Good evening people. I am new to fitness pal and I have a couple of questions. If this is not the right area forgive me.

I have a total gym xls at the house however it is put up. I also have dumb bells of 1.1 lb, 5 lbs, 8 lbs, and 10 lbs. I also have bands but I don't know where my wife put them. I asked the wife today when we will start doing the bands again and she said that she didn't know.

I was working out on the total gym every day or every other day. However, I had surgery the first of Jan and it has been put up since. Working out on the gym had nothing to do with my surgery.

I have started using the dumb bells again that I have. I do a little bit every day to get my stregenth back up. I also do planks and push ups off the door.

I would like to go to the gym however, with me working 37 hours an week and I don't have a set schedule it would be kinda hard and I don't want to spend money on an gym membership if I don't go.

I would like to build muscles but if the only thing that I have is the dumb bells and the push ups how can I? I know it will take a while but I would like a 6 pack. I will be happy with a 3 pack ;)

I welcome to any tips and suggestions.

Thanks

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to go to a gym, I'd say your best bet would be to concentrate on bodyweight workouts -- you're not going to get anywhere lifting those little pink weights. Two good bodyweight programs are "Convict Conditioning" and "You Are Your Own Gym".
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Push-ups, squats, crunches, pull-ups if you can.
  • tallguy267
    tallguy267 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to realize is that abs are made in the kitchen. What that means is that no matter how hard you exercise, unless your diet is very on point, and you manage to get your body fat percentage to around 10%, you won't have abs.

Secondly, if you don't have anything other than those dumbbells, use your body weight. There are tons of different body weight exercises that you can do to train every part of your body. Probably one of the most loved (or hated, depending on whom you ask) is the burpee. Look it up, and learn to love it.
  • isaiah4031a
    isaiah4031a Posts: 206 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have seen the thirty day challenges. I have done the burpee before. Will push ups off the door work or floor push ups be better

I would like to go to the gym. The place where I work I can get a pull up bar. Since pay day is Friday I may treat my self.

Thanks all
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you want to go to the gym and you are only working 37 hours per week, what is stopping you?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You'll be extremely limited with only Dumbbells up to 10lbs. That is honestly nothing when it comes to muscle growth. Only working 37hours a week you should have absolutely no problem getting a 1 hour a day workout in at the gym. I was able to fit in 1.5 hours a day with a 50 hour work week paired with meal prep. Also, find a structured program to follow, do not just do whatever. You'll find yourself running in circles. Also is your diet set up for muscle growth?
  • isaiah4031a
    isaiah4031a Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    So the dumbells that I have right now are doing no good. So what you are saying is that I have to join a gym. I can squeeze in a hour at the gym before work or after work. If I am had a bad day after work I can go to the gym :)

as for my diet, it is not. what do you suggest?

Thanks

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    What are you stats? How much do you have to lose (if anything)? Did you input your info here to calculate how many calories you should be eating?

Also, whether you join a gym or not you do need to look into some sort of program so that you have a routine and a way to progress.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You'll have to look into a structured lifting program designed for your goals. Along with eating at a surplus of around 250-400 calories a day. In order to find out your maintenance you should use the myfitness pal calorie calculator. Which you'll want to be eating around .8g of protein per pound of body weight along with sufficient carbs and healthy fats. You will gain small amounts of fat while gaining weight but it's something you'll have to deal with. It's a hazard of bulking. After you hit a point where you want to lose some fat, simply drop your calories by 250 below maintenance and then continue that till you reach your desired body fat percentage. Then repeat