Weightlifting only once a week?

Options
I'm thinking of joining a gym to start weightlifting, but the reality is that I won't be able to go more than once a week. Will I still get some benefit, or does it have to be done 2 or 3 times a week to get results? If it makes a difference, I am a 57 year old female cyclist. I don't need to lose weight, just get some upper body strength.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    once a week is better than nothing and it will make a difference over time if you go consistantly
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Sure. I think so. I run and play tennis, and gym comes third. Some weeks I only go once. I am probably not getting better but I do maintain that way. That makes a difference
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You'll get some benefit. I've been averaging once a week for the last some odd weeks, just because I'm really busy. You can't expect rapid gains or anything, but something is always better than nothing.
  • jknorr39
    jknorr39 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree....once a week is better than nothing at all.......and if you are active doing other things it will probably just enhance what you are already doing. I think if you go consistently you will over time start building up muscle and strength.