Sauce recipes

Options
There's been a lot of negative press in the uk recently about jar sauces having ridiculously high levels of sugar, which has made me read the labels on the jars in my cupboard - and I was shocked. I've resolved to cook up some batches of various sauces for the freezer and started off today with a veggie tomato pasta sauce (aubergine, onion, carrot, red pepper, tomatoes, passata, oregano, basil, black pepper, garlic).

I wondered if anyone had any favourite sauce recipes to share?

Replies

• melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I use Emerils best basic red sauce. It's a great recipe and you could add any veggies you like to it. I always get compliments when I make it. It's pretty simple and quick to make. I haven't used jarred sauce in many years.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/best-basic-red-sauce-recipe.html
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Made a habanero pepper sauce and chutney today...

They both had sugar but not crazy amounts.

For the apple habanero chutney probably wouldn't change too much for the pepper sauce, would likely reduce the among if allspice and clove...and reduce salt. That big said, it is moorish...

Pepper sauce also has zucchini and butternut squash

Didn't make it too hot with only 7 in what is 3 cups finished

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    j89h3xdo0p5s.jpeg
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Made a habanero pepper sauce and chutney today...

They both had sugar but not crazy amounts.

For the apple habanero chutney probably wouldn't change too much for the pepper sauce, would likely reduce the among if allspice and clove...and reduce salt. That big said, it is moorish...

Pepper sauce also has zucchini and butternut squash

Didn't make it too hot with only 7 in what is 3 cups finished

yum!
  • gettingreallyfedupnow
    Options
    That looks really good