Upper end of goal range - maintenance or gain?

Options
I lost 40 lbs. and have been in maintenance for a year and a half. I am at the gym 5x weekly doing cardio/strength. I maintain at 1600-1800 cals which was set for my TDEE. I always eat back gym cals. I set myself a 2 lb. range, so that I will go back to 1250 weight loss cals (plus gym cals) if I go over that for any more than a week. Lately, for about a month, I have been at the high end of that range consistently, and do not want to go over that ... in fact, I would like to stay right at the bottom end (goal weight) of that range. Of course, I worry that if I stay at the high end, it will eventually move into a higher weight and more gain.

I am very consistent about what I eat, which is always healthy, and so it's not happening due to anything different or unhealthy that I am doing in that area. Has anyone else been here? Do I just "stay the course" and maintain, as usual? Or do I go back to the 1250 + gym cals to get back to the lower end? I have considered going back to 1250 and NO gym cals, but I know that is really not healthy. I know it's only 2 lbs., but I am only 5'0" and age 60, and can't afford to range up higher than that. Would appreciate any help you can give me on this?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    If I go too high, I cut back 100-200 calories a day.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'd go down a little. What Francis said - just cut back 200-250. I say that as someone who let it sit at the high end of my range too long (a few months) and am having trouble getting back into my range - and I've easily maintained there 4 years. Don't let it go too long.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will cut back to 1400/ day plus gym cals and see if that helps.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I would eat back only half the gym cals.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Make small adjustments for small or slow drifts in weight.
    Stick to the methods you always use otherwise you invalidate all your data.
  • jrwms714
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Small adjustments? Can you explain what you mean? I am thinking about making my TDEE 1400 instead of 1600 - 1800 for a week or so to see if that will jog the two lbs. back to goal weight and then allow myself to vacillate between the goal and the 2 lbs. Is that what you are suggesting?
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind you really have 2 goals, one to get more solidly into your range. But you also need to figure out how to tweak your maintenance plan to avoid another creep.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Small adjustments? Can you explain what you mean? I am thinking about making my TDEE 1400 instead of 1600 - 1800 for a week or so to see if that will jog the two lbs. back to goal weight and then allow myself to vacillate between the goal and the 2 lbs. Is that what you are suggesting?

Small adjustments means small adjustments to your calorie balance, you could do that by increasing/decreasing exercise but really talking about your food intake goal.

You are using the term TDEE is a very strange way! TDEE already includes your exercise so I think you mean your calorie goal?
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are saying. Being in maintenance myself for 2+ years I want to make sure to stay within my goal weight range. However, we can get stuck on just looking at the scale. (i'm guilty of doing this too) How do your clothes fit? Are you gaining more muscle? When I first lost my lowest was 132, but as I have increased muscle and lowered my BF%, my weight is now around 138/140. So I try not to focus on a particular weight, even though I weigh myself every morning. :smiley:
    Great job on the weight loss and continued maintenance!
  • jrwms714
    Options

You are using the term TDEE is a very strange way! TDEE already includes your exercise so I think you mean your calorie goal?
    [/quote]
    My TDEE is 1800, and I find that I am good between 1600-1800, and the lower works better. Yes, that already includes my gym cals, as you said. Sorry if I was confusing. So the total would be 1400 for right now. Thanks, also, for clarifying what you meant by adjustment ... sounds like what I plan to do.
  • jrwms714
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    I totally understand what you are saying. Being in maintenance myself for 2+ years I want to make sure to stay within my goal weight range. However, we can get stuck on just looking at the scale. (i'm guilty of doing this too) How do your clothes fit? Are you gaining more muscle? When I first lost my lowest was 132, but as I have increased muscle and lowered my BF%, my weight is now around 138/140. So I try not to focus on a particular weight, even though I weigh myself every morning. :smiley:
    You know, that is something I really wondered about; thanks for pointing that out ... my clothes fit the same as always, although 2 lbs. shouldn't make that much of a difference. I was out of town for about 6 weeks in Feb./March and the only exercise I did was light hiking. Barely any strengthening ... took a band with me and did some of that, but that's it. Gained nothing and kept to the lower end of my weight range the entire trip. (House where we stayed had a scale so went by what it said.) Have been back at the gym since mid March and far more cardio and definitely more strengthening with weights, machines, and bands. I wonder if that is the 2 lbs. I am seeing? Still, shouldn't I work on getting back to the low end of my goal range? I would think so. Thoughts?
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    You know, that is something I really wondered about; thanks for pointing that out ... my clothes fit the same as always, although 2 lbs. shouldn't make that much of a difference. I was out of town for about 6 weeks in Feb./March and the only exercise I did was light hiking. Barely any strengthening ... took a band with me and did some of that, but that's it. Gained nothing and kept to the lower end of my weight range the entire trip. (House where we stayed had a scale so went by what it said.) Have been back at the gym since mid March and far more cardio and definitely more strengthening with weights, machines, and bands. I wonder if that is the 2 lbs. I am seeing? Still, shouldn't I work on getting back to the low end of my goal range? I would think so. Thoughts?

For me I like being at the low end of my goal range too. I know if the scale creeps up to 144, its not muscle. Its probably the mexican food and beer I had over the weekend. :smile: So, I try to reign it in and eat below maintenance for a little while. I think your on the right track. Some may think a few pound fluctuation isn't a big deal, but if you don't really monitor those few pounds they really can sneak up on you.
  • jrwms714
    Options
    Thanks so much. Verrrry helpful. I think I will work on getting back to the lower range. Don't mind vacillating two pounds. DO mind when it stays at the upper end. You are right. They can sneak up on you! And I've been working too hard and it's taken too long to let it go. There have been some early deaths in my family and health is number one priority for me. Thanks again!
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options

For me I like being at the low end of my goal range too. I know if the scale creeps up to 144, its not muscle. Its probably the mexican food and beer I had over the weekend. :smile: So, I try to reign it in and eat below maintenance for a little while. I think your on the right track. Some may think a few pound fluctuation isn't a big deal, but if you don't really monitor those few pounds they really can sneak up on you.

I agree! I have one lb to get to my final goal but I'm up a couple hopefully water weight right now. I've been a little slack due to birthday celebrations and generally just being too laid back about getting back on track this past week. Today, I decided to rein it in. I'd much rather keep off one or two then go back to losing a lot. Really hope I can wrap my head around maintenance. It's definitely a new stage.
  • jrwms714
    Options
    You can wrap your head around maintenance when you have been in it a while, swim777. What's hard for me is to wrap my maintenance head back into loss mode to get rid of the 2 -3 lbs. of creep that have happened. I have, however, made that determination and it's working. You are so right that you'd rather keep those few off than go back to losing a lot. Hang in there. Sounds like your head is really in the game. Keep it up!
  • lohlgren
    lohlgren Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You are getting great advice here. There's a big difference between eating your TDEE and dropping to 1250 in a panic. You've done great losing! I would take the TDEE down a hundred calories 1500-1700 and just see how that fits. Allow those 2 lbs to fall off slowly over time. I'm just a few years younger and our maintenance numbers go down a bit every year. So periodically redo the calculations to check your TDEE. And congratulations on your success!
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You can wrap your head around maintenance when you have been in it a while, swim777. What's hard for me is to wrap my maintenance head back into loss mode to get rid of the 2 -3 lbs. of creep that have happened. I have, however, made that determination and it's working. You are so right that you'd rather keep those few off than go back to losing a lot. Hang in there. Sounds like your head is really in the game. Keep it up!

Thanks! Reading these threads helps!
  • jrwms714
    Options
    lohlgren wrote: »
    You are getting great advice here. There's a big difference between eating your TDEE and dropping to 1250 in a panic. You've done great losing! I would take the TDEE down a hundred calories 1500-1700 and just see how that fits. Allow those 2 lbs to fall off slowly over time. I'm just a few years younger and our maintenance numbers go down a bit every year. So periodically redo the calculations to check your TDEE. And congratulations on your success!
    Great advice about periodically redoing TDEE calculations ... I have been forgetting to do that. I am wondering about your advice regarding cutting the TDEE down a hundred or a bit more calories (1400/1550 - 1600/1700) as opposed to going back to loss cals - 1250. I have had these 2 - 3 lbs. on for over 6 weeks. That seems more like a gain to me ... I've been in maintenance for about 18 months and never been this weight before. You are saying it is better to cut TDEE and lose slowly? I agree with the slow loss so that it will stay off, but losing slowly is what always occurs for me, no matter the amount of cals. It takes forever to lose a pound, no matter how religious I am about food and exercise. I planned to do 1250+gym cals, to get back to my maintenance range. Once I am back in that range, I planned to remain there at the lower maintenance calories for at least two weeks and then slowly move back. Please clarify; your advice seems sound.