Jelly AND Yogurt

Options
Holy cow, I'm used to eating sugar free jelly or yogurt when I'm dieting but I just had a jelly and a yogurt TOGETHER and it was amazeballs.

Thought I'd share.

P.S. Jelly in the UK is not what they call Jelly in American - is that Jam? - just so everyone knows I am not eating yogurt with jam in it :smiley:

Replies

• missmatch76
    missmatch76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh and if American's call jam jelly, what DO you guys call jam? :/
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    i consider jelly the same thing as jam, sugar free or not. is there a difference? consistency? fruit used?
  • missmatch76
    Options
    Jelly in the UK is a gelatine product you would eat like a dessert whereas jam you would eat on toast. So you call jam jelly but also call jelly jelly :smiley:
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I think we would call that Jell-o.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
  • zebacuff
    zebacuff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In the States, jelly and jam are both fruit spreads that one might put on toast in the morning. Jam has chunks of fruit in it (but not as much as preserves), whereas jelly is made from fruit juice and has no pieces of fruit in it.

AFAIK, your UK jelly is what we here would call Jell-O. Jell-O and yogurt sounds pretty good!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Oh and if American's call jam jelly, what DO you guys call jam? :/
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/05/the-difference-between-jelly-and-jam/
    Jelly is Jello
    As far as the difference between Jelly and Jam . . . some of us do not pay much attention between the two.
    The difference between jelly and jam is that jelly is made strictly from the juice of fruit while jam is made from crushed fruit. Specifically, jelly is made by crushing fruit, then straining out everything but the juice. The juice is then boiled, typically with sugar and pectin added, the latter of which reacts with the sugar and heat to give the jelly a thicker consistency for spreading.

The first step in making jam is about the same as jelly, but instead of straining the juice, the crushed fruit is left in, often with the seeds, if they are relatively small, such as with certain berries. Unlike most all jellies, jam may not contain pectin, as the mashed fruit will often give it sufficiently good consistency for spreading

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Jelly...

4xiq95cpkdmc.jpg

g51yf86khl3l.jpg

Jam...

vs6btps8b8vd.jpg

513xrw1p7ndn.jpg

v2o46ginyvq6.jpg

• missmatch76
    Options
    Jell-O, yes of course <3
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I actually thought you were mixing jelly (what you call jam) into yogurt and thought that sounded delicious!

Gelatine dessert= Jell-O
    We have two kinds of "jams" that we spread on toast- one is more gelatin like and it's called "jelly". The other is less gelatin like and more of just a mashed fruit spread and that's called "jam".

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Jell-o. I just made a greek yogurt and jell-o thing last night. I mixed them together, microwaved it for a few minutes taking it out every minute and mixing. By the 2nd minute the yogurt became watery and after it hardened it had a weird grainy/lumpy texture. It was just ok. How do you combine yours?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    for the record, yogurt and jam is wonderful.
    i like strawberry or raspberry
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    In American jam and jelly are different things. We call your "jelly" Jello.

I personally love eating jello with some whipped cream. It's amazing!

051114091-01-jelly-jam-preserves_xlg_xl.jpg

All Jelly, jam, and preserves are made with fruit, pectin, and sugar, but the process and subsequent product is different. Here's a good guide to go with the visual above:

Jam is made of crushed fruits that are then cooked with sugar, pectin, and acid until the fruits reach a spreadable consistency. Jam has an organic shape to it, and often has chunks of fruit in it.

Jelly is more transparent and has a gel-like consistency. To make jelly, you must crush and cook the fruit so the juice can be extracted. The juice is then strained through a jelly bag, boiled with sugar, and occasionally pectin. Then it sets into its form.

Preserves are simply chunks of fruit that are stored in their own juices, jam, jelly, syrup, or water.

So actually when we say "jelly", it is actually pretty dang close to jello. It's has zero fruit solids in it and looks almost exactly like jello. :open_mouth:
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    American jam and yogurt are great together.

But just to get this straight, you are saying jello (British jam) and yogurt? What flavor?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you think mixing jam (British)/jelly (U.S.) into yogurt would be weird -- that's more or less what the "fruit" in the fruit-on-the-bottom flavored yogurt is, anyway. I'm not fond of it, but from the amount that they sell, it's obvious an awful lot of people like it that way.

I haven't tried yogurt and jelly (British)/gelatine (jello) together, but I used to make gelatine and pudding and mix them together. Oops, another language issue. In the U.S., pudding is a very specific dish, not a generic term for dessert. It's a sweet, creamy, smooth, milk-based dessert -- if you make it from scratch, you cook the milk, some cornstarch (I think you may call it cornflour in the U.K.??), sugar, and whatever flavoring you want, e.g., vanilla extract, cocoa. Then it sets up when it cools. So it's a little like custard, but thickened with cornstarch instead of egg--although I think I've seen recipes for french vanilla pudding that used a little egg. You can find all kinds of flavors in powdered mixes, like banana, butterscotch, and pistachio.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Jell-o. I just made a greek yogurt and jell-o thing last night. I mixed them together, microwaved it for a few minutes taking it out every minute and mixing. By the 2nd minute the yogurt became watery and after it hardened it had a weird grainy/lumpy texture. It was just ok. How do you combine yours?

My guess is that microwaving yogurt really screws it up chemically. I am curious about just mixing greek yogurt and Jell-o mix. I wonder how that would taste?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine microwaved Greek yogurt. Something seems off about that ! Lol
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

My guess is that microwaving yogurt really screws it up chemically. I am curious about just mixing greek yogurt and Jell-o mix. I wonder how that would taste?

It is a very common dessert actually, especially for summer: prepare the jello with half the water, replace the remaining water with yoghurt and let it settle as you would with normal jello. You get something between jello and pudding. I usually do this to create layered jello, alternating normal jello with yoghurt jello.It is very simple to make, looks nice to serve when expecting company, and only requires a bit of time, because one layer needs to be completely settled before you can add the next.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

i think this really comes down to cultural differences. Kind of like how leaving eggs at room temperature, butter at room temp, etc. are all "no-nos" in american culture.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

i think this really comes down to cultural differences. Kind of like how leaving eggs at room temperature, butter at room temp, etc. are all "no-nos" in american culture.

Speak for yourself. I'm pretty sure I'm part of American culture, but if I bake a loaf of bread, I leave my butter out at room temperature for a few days (until I finish the loaf or decide to freeze the rest).

I wouldn't leave raw eggs out, since I'm not getting them straight from farmers and I'm pretty sure commercially packed eggs have lost the natural coating. If eggs naturally went bad at room temperature, how would they hold up until the chicks were born? When I was a kid, we would leave our hard-boiled, dyed eggs out for a day or two at Easter, essentially as decoration. We still ate them, and none of us died.

We even kept our mayonnaise out of the refrigerator when I was a kid, although we had a very stringent house rule against sticking a knife or spoon that had touched other food back into the jar -- no "double dipping"! -- although I think it was in part about the unappetizing effect of bread crumbs in the mayo jar. I keep it in the refrigerator now, partly for best flavor, partly because I have more room to spare in the fridge than on the shelves, and partly because I don't use mayo much at all. Even a small jar will start to separate after three years in the fridge and have to be tossed half uneaten.