Finally admitted defeat, Looking to become healthy

Evening everyone,

I have finally woken up to the unhealthy lifestyle I have surrounded myself with for the last many years, and am ready to take the jump into this as work at becoming healthy, lose some weight, and just learn the basics of good nutrition and better choices. Discipline is going to be huge, and that has me nervous.

A bit about myself; I am a Wyoming transplant trying to make a living in California. Was in great shape through my high school years, but since then have let myself go. I am looking to lose somewhere between 120-150 pounds (6'1 male, anyone have any suggestions for a goal weight?). I love all sorts of music, but will mainly stick to country and electronic. I am a writer, and can talk your ears off about sports, mainly hockey and football.

I am hoping to come across some really chill, supportive people on this site. A few of my friends have spoke very highly of it, and after months of saying "I'm too good for an online community," I stopped lying to myself and though I would give this a shot. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope I can connect with many of you in this long journey. Please, send any and all friend requests my way. :)

Replies

• hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Welcome! There are some very inspiring stories of transformations people
    have made on this site. Also lots of people focused on healthy weight loss and maintenance over faddish quick fixes. Congratulations on taking action to be a healthier and happier you! Feel free to add me as a friend for support :smile:
  • WELCOME to mfp! I am in California too =)
  • touchafaith
    touchafaith Posts: 112 Member
    Hi and welcome to mfp! It's great to be on here with people who have made the same decision as you about improving your health. I'm new to this community as well. I had the myfitnesspal app but only used it to help with my calories etc I didn't have friends on it but every time i lost weight I'd just put it back on within days (my weight loss never lasted more than a week) but the past 2 weeks I've been posting on the message boards and have added friends and it really has made all the difference! I'm over 2 weeks in and have lost 5 lbs and keeping it off (I weigh myself weekly and not due to weigh for 2 days but pretty sure I've lost more). Support and motivation from other people who are in your shoes or who have been there makes as much difference to me as food and exercise does, hopefully it does the same for you and feel free to add me :-)
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Welcome to MyFitnessPal. This is definitely a place where you will be able to find support and friends that are going through the same thing that you are. I find that a lot of my friends in the real world are not trying to be too healthy and not trying to lose weight so this is definitely a place to find that support. Feel free to add me!
  • starletlove
    starletlove Posts: 53 Member
    Welcome welcome!