If you have long hair and swim before work...

Options
I prefer running, love it actually, but my knee bothers me off and on so I'm thinking about focusing more on swimming for a while. There's a few reasons why it's more difficult for me during the weekdays though. My gym's pool doesn't open till 5:15am and I have to be to work by 6:45/7am. I'm to an awesome point right now where I only have to wash my hair twice a week. I love it. I hate washing my hair now, lol. But obviously, if I swim in a chlorinated pool, even with swim cap, it's essential that I wash my hair afterwards. And that takes time, a lot more time than I spend in the locker room showers now. Then comes the extra time spent on the wet hair after the shower. Anyway, I'm being dramatic. Point is, if you work full time with limited gym time before work, and have long hair and swim, what's your routine like? Do you use the special swimmers shampoo? Do you blow dry every day? Do you always smell like chlorine at work?! Also, I usually swim laps for 45 full minutes but that might not be possible as I usually only work out for 25-30 minutes normally before work. Any tips on utilizing my time? I usually just switch between freestyle, breast, and back stroke at my leisure, not bothering to count laps and not using any extra devices. Thanks in advance! :smile:

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't typically swim before work as I also prefer running, but I've noticed that most of the women at my gym who do swim regularly choose low-maintenance hairstyles afterwards and many don't blow-dry at all. I see lots of braids and updos that can be done with damp hair.

I don't know how far your commute is from the gym to work, but if you get in the pool at 5:15 and swim for 45 minutes, that still leaves you 45-60 min to get ready, which seems like a ton of time. I normally only need 15-20 min after a run (including a short shower where I don't wash my hair, but I can wash and condition in like 3 minutes if I do swim...) I have a quick shower, throw on my clothes, put my hair up, and slap on a little tinted moisturizer and mascara and I'm out the door again. My hair is waist-length and straight so I usually just ponytail (sometimes with the front french-braided) or sock bun and go.

I'm blonde so I do normally use a swimmer's shampoo to avoid the green-hair issue, but I think your normal stuff is fine as well as long as you condition very well afterwards as pool water is pretty harsh on your hair even with the swim cap.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Well, my schedule now is, wake up at 4:40 (wash my face/get dressed/get son's school lunch ready), leave the house at 5:15am, arrive at gym about 5:35, start working out about 5:40, start stretching/cool down by 6:10, in the locker room at 6:15-6:20, leave gym about 6:50 (I work super close to the gym). I've pushed up my wake up time already and only get about 6 hrs of sleep during the weekdays. If I commit myself to swimming before work I will have to get up even earlier to get there when the pool opens.

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Then I would suggest streamlining your morning routine (make lunch the night before, etc.) and try to leave the house by 5 and start working out by 5:30. If you're out of the pool by 6:20 that gives you time for your full 45 minutes of laps still. Not a huge difference to what you're already doing, no getting up earlier.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies @peleroja!

Another question for any swimmers. I'm about to buy a new swim suit because my old one is all faded and the top layer is all loose and saggy. What's the best way to make them last the longest? Washing them ever? Just rinsing off after and letting them air dry? If I swim twice a week, what's the length of time should I expect it to last?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I do not swim before work, but I work full time and have 3 young kids with lots of activities of their own, so I am always on the run. To be honest, after a year of trying to find a compromise between not being late and my hair not looking and feeling terrible, I have now a very short hair cut. Problem solved. And I look about 10 years younger :)
    As for swimsuits, it depends on quality. I still wear regularly one that I bought 10 years ago. I did not start regularly swimming in a pool until a year ago, but I swim about 4-5 months a year in the ocean, so it definitely was worth the money.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    braids and updos that can be done with damp hair.

That's what I do. My hair is about to the middle of my back. I swim before work 1-2 days/week and have to be in by 8 AM (thankfully the gym is 24/7.) I shower and use regular shampoo and conditioner, then braid my hair or style it so that it doesn't matter if it's wet.
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    rinse hair before the swim cap so it will not soak up as much chlorine (you can also condition before the cap). I then rinse and condition the ends after a swim or just rinse if I conditioned pre cap. I swim 3 days a week right now and make one of them a hair wash day (I only wash once a week). Once I blow-dry and once I do a wet style like a braid or a bun that I can air dry and take down later in the day. I also swim about 30 min and do sprints alternated with kick board or only using arms.
    A good quality suit should last 6 months to a year depending on how often you swim in chlorine. I have 3 and alternate them. Rinsing after each use and air drying. I wash them on gentle once every couple weeks or so and lay flat to dry. One is on its last leg - I've had it for about 2 years, the other 2 are relatively new so they are showing little to no wear. I'll pick up a new one to replace the worn out one and use the worn one as a drag suit sometimes.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to swim before work but can't take the chance with having terrible hair all day (my daily work activities have a way of changing from desk work to presenting a meeting). I can braid mine but I don't usually wear that style to work and it's kind of drastic on me. I do swim after work but by then I have to wait until at least 6 pm. I rinse my suits off in the gym shower and then air dry. I need a new suit but I would like one that comes farther down the leg. Does anyone know of a suit like that? I have one that has legs built in (I'm afraid it's old lady-ish) but I'm just not wanting to show so much upper thigh! :)
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Wet your hair and put on lots of cheap conditioner before you put the cap on. That's what stopped my hair from going like straw when swimming regularly.
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Another question for any swimmers. I'm about to buy a new swim suit because my old one is all faded and the top layer is all loose and saggy. What's the best way to make them last the longest? Washing them ever? Just rinsing off after and letting them air dry? If I swim twice a week, what's the length of time should I expect it to last?

buy suits that are designed to be chlorine resistant, don't use the water extractors (if you can help it), and never ever put them into a clothes dryer. I do water aerobics 5x a week, so if I want my suit to be dry the next day, I have to use the extractor. I have a dry suit, but I my suits wear down every few months. My current suit I bought in late January and recently the back/butt area has gone thin/see-through. Fortunately I've lost enough weight that I needed a new suit anyways, but buying a new suit would be a bitter pill to swallow if that wasn't the case.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options

buy suits that are designed to be chlorine resistant, don't use the water extractors (if you can help it), and never ever put them into a clothes dryer. I do water aerobics 5x a week, so if I want my suit to be dry the next day, I have to use the extractor. I have a dry suit, but I my suits wear down every few months. My current suit I bought in late January and recently the back/butt area has gone thin/see-through. Fortunately I've lost enough weight that I needed a new suit anyways, but buying a new suit would be a bitter pill to swallow if that wasn't the case.

I didn't realize the water extractors were so bad! I use it every time usually!

Thanks for the advice everyone. This probably means I need to start shaving more often (which I guess I should do anyway since it's almost summer :# )
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Not a swimmer, but worked in swimsuit retail for 8 years. Here's how manufacturers say to wash a suit - hand wash, using mild dish soap or unscented shampoo only. Line dry. I typically wear my suit into the shower and wash it with the shampoo I'm using - scrunch it several times to get it soapy, then run clean water through it until smell (chlorine or sun screen if you're outside) is out. Avoid getting lotions or oils on it if possible; they break down the elastic. Never put it in the dryer, and try to avoid the washer (spinning can stretch it). Also only wear a suit you don't like into the hot tub - mix of chemicals and heat break them down faster.
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I swim every other day. I bought a "sun, gym and swim" shampoo/bodywash/conditioner and that's all I bring with me and use it for my hair, body and swimming costume. I take about 5 minutes in the open showers right after leaving the pool. I do not dry my hair (I have never ever in my entire life owned a hair dryer!), just comb it after applying a no-rinse conditioner (same brand as shampoo) and let it dry naturally, even in winter. It's not a big deal ;)

Oh, all swimming costumes will eventually fade. It helps to rinse them thoroughly after the pool but if you can't immediately give them a proper wash, they will fade quickly anyway. So yeah, I'm used to buying a new costume every few months.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I used to use an awesome swimmer's shampoo after my laps. Removed the chlorine smell and helped prevent some of the damage of the chemicals. I also put it into my cap wet (even found a cap for thick/long hair!)

I'd also use a little of the shampoo on my suit to remove the chlorine.

Easy up-dos and braids were definitely a thing when time was limited for styling.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have long hair and swim regularly but never before work for the very same reason.... Nowhere near enough time to make myself presentable!

Ref the swimsuits, the last one I bought specifically said to avoid contact with shampoo. I have also been told don't machine wash or use detergent, obviously don't tumble dry but also avoid direct contact with the radiator when drying too. Always rinse thoroughly in fresh lukewarm water.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options

Rise your suit and hang it to dry after swimming. Never put it in the dryer. If you swim twice per week a regular suit is only going to last you a couple of months. Buy a polyester blend suit, such as Speedo Endurance. They do not fade or stretch quickly like other suits.

I don't use swimming specific shampoo and conditioner. They ones I've tried have always been drying. I just use my normal shampoo and a heavier conditioner when needed. I just put my hair in a bun and don't blow dry. Showering after swimming shouldn't take any more time than showering after any other work out.
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice everyone. This probably means I need to start shaving more often (which I guess I should do anyway since it's almost summer :# )

hah! this winter I barely shaved and i was still in the pool, sasquatch legs and all! You're underwater most of the time, so it's really not visible. I wouldn't stress it, but do whatever is comfortable to you!
  • call3na
    call3na Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I swim regularly and yes it does take me a while to wash my hair after (its almost waist length), I wrap it in a towel when getting dressed then sort parting and pop it up on my head using hair spirals (stops the headaches from having hair tied back!) where it stays out of the way :)

I have to wash it as I hate the smell of chlorine on it, I always wet it before swimming though - helps to keep my swim cap on that way too.

I have had the same swimming costume now for a year and only just started phasing in a new one - I swim 2-3 times a week in the winter (less in the summer as I'm surfing more). Rinse it off whilst wearing it in the shower and air dry at home.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Now I know this probably isn't an option for you but I just chopped all mine off.