Should I eat my calorie limit if I am not hungry?

Hi there,

I'm guilty of eating 900/1000 calories once or twice a week (and usually being so hungry the next day I eat 1500 calories).

I'm so bogged down in trying to get the weight off, I'm struggling to see common sense now.

My daily allowance is 1370.

I'm at 1000 for today.

Should I drink a protein shake (200cal) to finish my day off? Last time this happened, I had a proper hot chocolate and gained a pound on the scales the next day. Not the end of the world I know but it bothered me.

I've never felt so nutritionally uneducated and confused.

I'm getting tetchy because it's TOM and I haven't seen weight loss in 7days despite exercising as hard as I'm able, hitting 10,000 steps + a day (from 2000!) and eating more salad and protein than I know what to do with.

Sigh.

Amy X

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    I don't bother with meeting my daily allowance everyday. Activities, life fluctuate. So can the eating. In fact it's quite effective when you eat strategically. For instance I just finished probably 500 calories of carbs, which I normally don't eat at this hr, to prepare for a sport match/exercise.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    You shouldn't take a day-to-day weight fluctuation as a sign that you're doing something "wrong" with your diet. As you lose weight, the scale will go up and down. It's the long term trend that matters.

As you've noticed, when you don't eat enough one day, you are extra hungry the next. I think this is a sign that you really should try to meet your calorie goal each day.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I look at my weekly totals mainly and at the end of the week if I have some left over yah.

But....I don't ever go below 1200 either...well I did once that is why I won't do it again.

Took me 3 days to recover from it...workout wise. It was awful. I was tired, lethargic and a big ole hangry slug for a couple days.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Are you struggling to meet your net calories (after exercise) or just even meeting your pre-exercise calories?
  • amywilson_88
    amywilson_88 Posts: 12 Member
    I don't eat back exercise calories - rather use them as a buffer for the days when I slip up or go over by 100 or so.

I think they're overly generous - I can get upto another 1300 on the weekend from walking alone.

But again I've read so much for and against eating then I'm getting confused!!!

I COULD eat 2500 calories a day without batting an eyelid. Thats what got me here
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I don't eat back exercise calories - rather use them as a buffer for the days when I slip up or go over by 100 or so.

I think they're overly generous - I can get upto another 1300 on the weekend from walking alone.

But again I've read so much for and against eating then I'm getting confused!!!

I COULD eat 2500 calories a day without batting an eyelid. Thats what got me here

sometimes they can be.

When I first came I had 1460 calories to lose 1lb a week...I ate back all my exercise calories usually ending the day with 1600-1700...I still lost 1lb a week...

just be careful on the lower calories days try more calorie dense foods like full fat cheese and milk etc.

Or my fav...chocolate or a beer or that cake you want.
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    You answered you own questing in your post. You said you eat well below your goal one day then they next day you go over because you are so hungry. With that statement in mind do you think it is helpful to be so low? Also with TOM you are going to retain water, that will mask some loses. If you are under 300 calories one day and over 300 the next they cancel each other out, but why deal with the misery you know you will have? Also heavy restriction like that is a recipe for binging, which can throw a wrench in the works fast. This is doubly true is you have less than 25 pounds to lose .
  • amywilson_88
    You answered you own questing in your post. You said you eat well below your goal one day then they next day you go over because you are so hungry. With that statement in mind do you think it is helpful to be so low? Also with TOM you are going to retain water, that will mask some loses. If you are under 300 calories one day and over 300 the next they cancel each other out, but why deal with the misery you know you will have? Also heavy restriction like that is a recipe for binging, which can throw a wrench in the works fast. This is doubly true is you have less than 25 pounds to lose .
    SezxyStef wrote: »

sometimes they can be.

When I first came I had 1460 calories to lose 1lb a week...I ate back all my exercise calories usually ending the day with 1600-1700...I still lost 1lb a week...

just be careful on the lower calories days try more calorie dense foods like full fat cheese and milk etc.

Or my fav...chocolate or a beer or that cake you want.

Thank you both - I needed some straight talking and I've decided to have the calories.

I think there is some yoo moo stashed away somewhere...
  • kelseyframe91
    kelseyframe91 Posts: 37 Member
    If your not hungry then don't eat and try to avoid eating after 7pm. It's not the end of the world that you don't reach your calorie target for one day. If it's a common thing then try having a few more calories at breakfast time and try to balance it out that way. Good Luck.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    1) You cannot gain a pound of fat overnight
    2) Eating 900 one day and 1500 is fine. The mean is 1200 calories.

Obviously the 2nd point is oversimplified, but you don't have to be so neurotic on a day-to-day basis, you can relax a bit ;)

If you're not hungry for the rest of the night, you don't have to eat it. Think of it as an advantage toward your goal. Or, if you think it will help you stay on track in the long run, go ahead and have your shake or a snack.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Weight fluctuates daily (and even hourly) - weigh yourself at the same time each morning and at the end of the week average it out to see what the number is. As for eating when you aren't hungry it happens so if you are under by 200 today and over by 200 tomorrow it averages out. Some people go with a weekly number rather than a daily number for calories. You don't know if the calories listed in the food database are correct so don't necessarily go by them. I try to hit my protein number every day and if anything I'll try to stay under my carb and fat numbers
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    It's ok to have higher and lower days, but as previously mentioned it's not a great idea to let it dip below 1200. I will sometimes "save" 200-300 calories a few days a week, and then add them onto another day. I enjoy having a higher calorie day once or twice a week, but I am also dieting on much higher calories, so it's easier for me to get away with that. As you mentioned, you feel it the next day if you only eat 900-1000. Sometimes it can turn into an all out binge rather than just making up for what you were short.
    Personally I would drink the protein shake or cocoa or whatever may sound good, and stay away from the scale a few more days. My weight always goes up the week before TOM, and it takes a while to go back down. Is it annoying? Yes. But there is usually a significant drop afterwards if I have stuck with my calories goal throughout.
    It's easy to over think until it seems to make no sense, but it sounds like you are on the right track!
  • evildeadedd
    If your not hungry then don't eat and try to avoid eating after 7pm. It's not the end of the world that you don't reach your calorie target for one day. If it's a common thing then try having a few more calories at breakfast time and try to balance it out that way. Good Luck.

Not eating after X time is malarkey. I do agree ita not the end of the world to be a bit under, but if being under one day is leading to you going over the next due to hunger, I would say you are better off being constant. We have been conditioned that losing weight is supposed to hurt, to be uncomfortable, a challenge of our will. In truth for long term success you don't want it to be hell. Will power is a finite resource, of every day is a battle you are much more likely to burn out.
  • amywilson_88

You're not wrong!!! But I'm the kind of bad loser that goes to hell with weight gain. I get a sort of "f*** it" mentality that is quite silly but the scales go up and so does my calorie intake.

It scares me away from "naughty" food - which I don't want. I want to have control over food, not fear which results in a binge anyway.
  • amywilson_88
    Oops - I mucked up that quote edit.
  • amywilson_88
    It's ok to have higher and lower days, but as previously mentioned it's not a great idea to let it dip below 1200. I will sometimes "save" 200-300 calories a few days a week, and then add them onto another day. I enjoy having a higher calorie day once or twice a week, but I am also dieting on much higher calories, so it's easier for me to get away with that. As you mentioned, you feel it the next day if you only eat 900-1000. Sometimes it can turn into an all out binge rather than just making up for what you were short.
    Personally I would drink the protein shake or cocoa or whatever may sound good, and stay away from the scale a few more days. My weight always goes up the week before TOM, and it takes a while to go back down. Is it annoying? Yes. But there is usually a significant drop afterwards if I have stuck with my calories goal throughout.
    It's easy to over think until it seems to make no sense, but it sounds like you are on the right track!

Thank you for such a lovely supportive reply :)
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member

Not eating after X time is malarkey. I do agree ita not the end of the world to be a bit under, but if being under one day is leading to you going over the next due to hunger, I would say you are better off being constant. We have been conditioned that losing weight is supposed to hurt, to be uncomfortable, a challenge of our will. In truth for long term success you don't want it to be hell. Will power is a finite resource, of every day is a battle you are much more likely to burn out.

Like evildeadedd said - not eating after a certain time is total BS.

And eating under 1,200 isn't going to result in long term weight loss. As soon as you start eating more you will regain the weight. That number of calories isn't even enough for you to lay around in bed all day .

• amywilson_88
    edited April 2016
    queenbea77 wrote: »

Like evildeadedd said - not eating after a certain time is total BS.

And eating under 1,200 isn't going to result in long term weight loss. As soon as you start eating more you will regain the weight. That number of calories isn't even enough for you to lay around in bed all day .

I wish I wish I wish laying around in bed all day was a legit option :smile:
  • evildeadedd
    edited April 2016

You're not wrong!!! But I'm the kind of bad loser that goes to hell with weight gain. I get a sort of "f*** it" mentality that is quite silly but the scales go up and so does my calorie intake.

It scares me away from "naughty" food - which I don't want. I want to have control over food, not fear which results in a binge anyway.

It is my thought that there are two ways to deal with weight fluctuations. One weigh less, like way less, maybe 7 days after your period every month. Take body measurements, and progress pics and focus on how you look/feel not by a number. The other way is weigh more, every day and track with an app like weight trend or similar. My scale has a "weightless" mode, where when I step on and log it it doesn't tell me how much I weigh, just my progress. In the big picture your weight is really a meaningless number. Go to the success board and look at all the people that have done body recomposition, often times they look much better and are in a smaller size when the scale says they gain 10 pounds or more.
  • evildeadedd
    Bah stupid quote system.