Alcohol

Options
So, I'm not much of a drinker anyway (the happy drunk feeling is far outweighed by the hangover) but certain events sometimes call for the occasional tipple! Anyway, I have friends coming over next week, and I know I'm going to be EXPECTED to partake in a drink, and I can quite easily say "no thanks, not for me" but I'm not sure if I want to. 9 times out of 10 when I used to drink, the following morning I would be all "never am I drinking again - EVER" but then again, this will be the first drink I've had since losing 3 stone! THEN, as tradition goes (with me anyway) after a drinking session, I used to like to get a pizza or kebab, or something just generally all round unhealthy!

So MFP'ers, what would you do? Does anybody out there drink regularly whilst also being able to maintain a steady weight loss? Am I better off just avoiding drinking, because to be honest, I could quite easily just politely decline, it's not like I'm itching to get drunk or anything! Also, what drinks would be best suited to stay in line with calories? I know beer is full of calories, not sure what spirits contain!

Any advice would muchos appreciated!

Replies

• fat2fit72014
    Options
    Are you going out or staying in? If you are staying in you can control what you take in. I have found that flavored vodka with a light juice (15 cal minute maid lemonade and lemon 360 vodka is AMAZING) is usually pretty low in cal. Just know when to stop. Have one or two, but dont go crazy. Include it in your log. I did. If you have to save the calories or work out harder to have it then do it. As for the meal after try to hold out until you get home and grab something semi healthy. A sandwich would be great and it will help soak up some of that alcohol. Just go with your gut. You want this right? Your friends should also want it for you. Theyll understand.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to drink don't, if you do then drink spirit with diet coke (wish I could say no)

When they all compliment you on weight loss, tell them its partly down to not drinking so much and not carb loading afterwards on pizza.

Good luck and well done for the loss
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Are you going out or staying in? If you are staying in you can control what you take in. I have found that flavored vodka with a light juice (15 cal minute maid lemonade and lemon 360 vodka is AMAZING) is usually pretty low in cal. Just know when to stop. Have one or two, but dont go crazy. Include it in your log. I did. If you have to save the calories or work out harder to have it then do it. As for the meal after try to hold out until you get home and grab something semi healthy. A sandwich would be great and it will help soak up some of that alcohol. Just go with your gut. You want this right? Your friends should also want it for you. Theyll understand.

Yeah, I was thinking vodka and diet lemonade, and yeah I'll be drinking at home (most likely) a sandwich isn't a bad idea, I love Subway's, especially the turkey breast ones (gotta go for the 12 inch subs though, only 580 calories in the whole thing! It's just that old habits die hard, and eating a healthy sub as opposed to a greasy pizza seems sacrilegious :P
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I drink wine several nights a week, I have found that white has less calories and usually more alcohol content, as for snacks I try and avoid, but if it cant be helped maybe a veggie tray with a low fat dip to graze on, or tortilla chips with some salsa :drinker:
  • fat2fit72014
    Options

Yeah, I was thinking vodka and diet lemonade, and yeah I'll be drinking at home (most likely) a sandwich isn't a bad idea, I love Subway's, especially the turkey breast ones (gotta go for the 12 inch subs though, only 580 calories in the whole thing! It's just that old habits die hard, and eating a healthy sub as opposed to a greasy pizza seems sacrilegious :P

Great choices! Anything clear and diet you will do pretty ok. Just limit yourself. I know what you mean about feeling like crap in the morning. Reminds me Im getting too old for it! Enjoy yourself though...you dont have to drink to have fun. Remind your friends that too.