Drinking alcohol & MFP

Options
Hi Everyone!
I just wanted to ask everyone about their experiences with weight loss and drinking. On January 3rd, when I started back with MFP, I decided I need to stop drinking alcohol. Mainly because I never could control myself with food after I drank alcohol and ALWAYS over ate. I was a pretty social drinker prior to starting back. Up until this point I have dealt really well without drinking in social situations. I still had fun without needing to drinking.
However, with the weather getting really nice, I've found myself wanting to have a drink on a few different occasions. I just really don't know if I can be disciplined to not blow it. What's happened in the past is I would blow my calorie budget the day I drank and then usually the day after and soon after that I'd have fallen off the wagon all together.
My question is : If I wanted to have a drink, what advice would you give me to not let it crush me all together? Or do you think I should just stick to what I'm doing? I appreciate any feedback!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I drank almost every day when I was losing weight. I was able to do this because I'm not the type of person who will eat more when I'm drinking. Only you can know if you are able to stick to your goals.

It sounds like your previous experience is that you find it hard to stick to your goals when you've had a drink. Do you think that has changed? Do you find it hard to stick to your goals after one drink or is it only a problem when you've had a few drinks? If it's the latter, would it work to have just 1-2 drinks and then stop drinking?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,004 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My advice is to make sure you can fit it in your daily calorie goal. Pre-log your drink(s) and then stick with it. But if you are unable to stop drinking or to control your eating while drinking that may not work for you. I let myself have whatever I want if it fits my calorie goal. I do find that after checking the calorie content of certain foods and drinks I don't want them anymore. But if you do want it just make it fit.
  • jamesbluther
    jamesbluther Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same experience of wanting to overeat after I've been drinking. What has really helped me is that I don't drink alcohol until AFTER dinner (or if we're out for dinner, I wait until dinner is served). That way my blood surgar doesn't crash due to the alcohol. It's not quite as much fun as having drinks before dinner, but I still get to enjoy wine or beer without it really wreaking my plan.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way with sodas (never been much of a drinker) and I found it best to stay away completely with maybe one a week and always pre-log it. Half the game of MFP is mental so you have to figure out how you personally can handle it. I have friends who have lost a considerable bit of weight with moderate alcohol in their menu. However, that just means they are capable of it. If you are not, I'd recommend simply staying away completely.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Find a "go to" drink with lower cals that you enjoy.
    Keep some cals on the table to enjoy your drink and if possible some appetizers.
    This has worked for me, and it takes all the guilt away to enjoy my weekends - guilt free!
  • TheAwakening22
    TheAwakening22 Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    OP. I too love to eat when drinking. Not only do I blow my calories out the window, I stop tracking. Having said that, I was still able to lose weight. I just didn't drink as often as I wanted. Once a week is about all I'd allow myself. As for your situation, if you don't feel like you can be disciplined enough to not fall off the wagon again, maybe you shouldn't allow yourself to drink.
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do drink a few times in a week. Out of those, weekends are ones that I know about.
    Hence, I will plan my caloric intake during the day, so I can offset my drinking/eating that night.
    During weekdays, if I have an unplanned happy-hour... then I 'level out' my caloric intake the following day to offset it.

Remember... you should adopt the lifestyle where you are going to reduce weight & enjoy your life. All the best!!
  • Citycat2015
    Citycat2015 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Drinking even one glass of wine makes me very very hungry. Therefore I have cut back to 2 glasses with pizza - one night a week and budget for it in my weekly plan.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I start with an equally attractive non-alcoholic beverage (sparkling water with a little something in it). Then, by the time I'm ready for my class of wine or whatever, it's with dinner. I totally agree that the sunshine makes me want a G&T, which makes me want another, and then, judgement is shot. After that glass of wine, I go back to my EAN-AB ;) Or I brush my teeth or something (chew gum, whatever).
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Know your cut-off point. One drink fits in my calories easily and doesn't affect my judgment. A second drink can sometimes fit or easily be earned, but it should be consumed on a full stomach. A third drink is entering dangerous territory, and a full-on binge will mean overconsuming that day AND the day after as I try to nurse my hangover. So 1-2 drinks it is.

Also, be selective with your alcohol. Opt for liquor with calorie free mixers instead of the full-blown margarita. A refreshing white or rose wine is lower in alcohol/calories than a big red. The lower the alcohol % on beer, the lower the calories, and the less likely to push you to the tipsy, eat-all-the-things point.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    SaintGiff wrote: »
    I would strongly advise against trying to MFP without alcohol

I think this ^^^ applies more to the forums.

OP, I haven't read all the responses, so I'm not certain if this is a repeat. I had to learn to drink in moderation. The bonus is that while in a calorie deficit, it certainly hits me much harder, so I can drink as much as I used to anyway. If I want a single drink, I will log it and eat a little less throughout the day. If you are wanting several drinks, you have a couple options. First, eat slightly less throughout the week, and use those "saved" calories for your weekend, so you have a higher target. Second, accept that you will lose less that week, log it, and get back to it the next day. There really is no reason to give up moderate drinking while losing weight.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Pre-log that *kitten*, mama! Seriously, if you wake up and KNOW it's gonna be one of those days when you're gonna have a beer or 3, go ahead and log it under snacks. That's what I do. Then you can go about your day keeping in mind the extra 400 calories or whatever than you set aside :)
  • tbullucks2006
    tbullucks2006 Posts: 105 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think right now I'm good. I have no desire for a beer. It used to be all that I drank for the most part. I never liked the taste though. I do sort of miss wine though and even though I didn't really drink many mixed drinks in the past because I got terrible hangovers, I'm feeling like I'd like a fruity mixed drink at times. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Having a drink or two or even more on occasion is pretty negligible to the whole I would say.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Plan plan plan.
  • jlcrph
    jlcrph Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I always allow myself one light beer (provided it doesn't put me over my calorie limit). Anything above that in a day.... I run an extra mile per beer consumed! That pretty much keeps me at just one beer :-)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My strategy is to "save" or "bank" calories during the week and then "spend" them on beer and maragaritas on the weekends!

It's all about planning, and logging honestly!