Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Full body workouts VS Split Routines

Thoughts and opinions?!
I've been doing split routines & now I'm thinking about switching.

Replies

• kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    The science goes against bro-splits but the results don't.

The science supports fullbody 3x/ week but I don't see anyone with a great physique doing them.
  • kuftae
    For beginners though, Full body all the way until you can lift 1x body-weight on bench, 1.5x on squat and 2x on deadlift.
  • RebelPatriot77
    RebelPatriot77 Posts: 29 Member
    I've just started some full body cardiovascular work outs. I feel the results already and find that it keeps me motivated better than the split workouts.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Personally, I have too many exercises that are upper/lower specific. A 3 x week full body session would take me 3 hours. I like to split into upper and lower days, alternating.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,733 Member
    I agree with full body workouts as a beginner simply because that's what I did and it worked for me. I have no science or other proof. I did full body lifting 3 days per week but once I advanced a bit I switched to splits now. Don't think I'll ever achieve the numbers @kuftae noted though!
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    There are some good reasons to start with FB. The main one is that it you utilise much more muscle overall per workout. You will also gain strength a lot quicker and your muscles will develop together. When you want to build individual muscle groups then you will need a split routine to get the volume you need to get buff!
  • kuftae
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I agree with full body workouts as a beginner simply because that's what I did and it worked for me. I have no science or other proof. I did full body lifting 3 days per week but once I advanced a bit I switched to splits now. Don't think I'll ever achieve the numbers @kuftae noted though!

o yeah, those are strength standards for males. not sure what a good standard would be for female lifters. I don;t think 1.5x on squat or 2x on deadlift would be out of the question but the bench might be a challenge.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i do splits
    kuftae wrote: »
    For beginners though, Full body all the way until you can lift 1x body-weight on bench, 1.5x on squat and 2x on deadlift.

what?? i guess i'm not ready for a split.

i agree full body is great and its great for beginners and all levels, but splits are great, too, no matter what your level. Do whatever makes you feel good and keeps you going back to the gym. I generally prefer splits because my workouts are so hard i need those extra rest days. But i've done plenty of full body just to maintain when i don't have the time for a hard core training cycle.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Thoughts and opinions?!
    I've been doing split routines & now I'm thinking about switching.

Try FB for a month and see how you like it. Speculation will get us nowhere.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Gonna depend. How long have you been lifting (and what program) and are you lifting more for strength or hypertrophy? Full body (or full body with assistance work) tends to be more time-efficient, but there are a number of situations where you're better with split.
  • I would say about 9/10 people would see better results using a full body or a upper/lower body routine. A lot of people use a split routine because that's what bodybuilders use, but very few people actually need that much volume.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I would say about 9/10 people would see better results using a full body or a upper/lower body routine. A lot of people use a split routine because that's what bodybuilders use, but very few people actually need that much volume.

Beat me to it...this is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

If you want to put on mass like a body builder, a split is the way to go for the volume...also probably competitive power lifters. On that same note, if you're a beginner in the weight room, all of that volume is not going to serve you well.

Outside of actually bodybuilding or some other kind of competitive lifting, a 3x full body workout is plenty good for any level.

The science supports fullbody 3x/ week but I don't see anyone with a great physique doing them.

I know lots of people with great physiques doing them. My trainer trains his clients pretty much exclusively with full body programming...everyone from his run of the mill clients like me to his pro and amateur level athletes. Those guys look pretty damned good.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would say about 9/10 people would see better results using a full body or a upper/lower body routine. A lot of people use a split routine because that's what bodybuilders use, but very few people actually need that much volume.

If you want to put on mass like a body builder, a split is the way to go for the volume...also probably competitive power lifters. On that same note, if you're a beginner in the weight room, all of that volume is not going to serve you well.

Outside of actually bodybuilding or some other kind of competitive lifting, a 3x full body workout is plenty good for any level.

I know lots of people with great physiques doing them. My trainer trains his clients pretty much exclusively with full body programming...everyone from his run of the mill clients like me to his pro and amateur level athletes. Those guys look pretty damned good.

To all of you- If you're doing a full body routine, how many times a week would you recommend?

What about an upper/lower split- How many times a week?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    ASKyle wrote: »

To all of you- If you're doing a full body routine, how many times a week would you recommend?

When I did FB: 3x week with a day of accessories only

Upper/Lower: 2 upper days a week and 2 lower days a week

I prefer an upper/lower split.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    edited April 2016
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Thanks- Any particular reason why you prefer the split?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

I do full body 3x weekly.

For a split I wouldn't do anymore than 2 days upper and 2 days lower unless you had some very specified reasons crazy volume.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Thanks- Any particular reason why you prefer the split?

I just feel it works best with my schedule. I can train on back to back days; you're not really supposed to do that with full body (unless there is new info on that).
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member

If you can handle it, 4x a week. Did me well in my Olympic lifting.
  • Irish_girl_77
    Irish_girl_77 Posts: 16 Member
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Gonna depend. How long have you been lifting (and what program) and are you lifting more for strength or hypertrophy? Full body (or full body with assistance work) tends to be more time-efficient, but there are a number of situations where you're better with split.

I've really just been doing my own program, lol. But I've been reading a lot and trying to gain more knowledge so I'm not just wasting my time. I'm looking to tone and get lean. On the days I lift, I don't really feel satisfied with the workout at the end. I mean yea, my arms or legs, or whatever I'm working on, are sore. But I don't feel like I put in a "great" workout.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

Agree with this ^ I don't do full body and prefer splits, but would definitely recommend full body to the OP....for now anyway.