If you only had 100$ a month to spend on food...

Options

Replies

• TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Also growing your own veggies saves money. Seeds are pretty cheap... and FREE if you know how to harvest some from your crops to use again for next season. I <3 gardening... fresh organic food right in my back yard. Berries and fruit trees are super easy. Asparagus keeps on producing for many years. Lettuce, spinach, italian dandelion, mizuna, quinoa, kale, broccoli, radishes, beets, carrots, and beens are easy to grow. Potatoes too. I live in BC Canada, and i had several cherry tomato plants self-seed from tomatoes that fell off and rotted in the ground last year... amazing. :)

A very good idea. I live in an apartment and would have to do potted plants but this is something I'm considering.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Also growing your own veggies saves money. Seeds are pretty cheap... and FREE if you know how to harvest some from your crops to use again for next season. I <3 gardening... fresh organic food right in my back yard. Berries and fruit trees are super easy. Asparagus keeps on producing for many years. Lettuce, spinach, italian dandelion, mizuna, quinoa, kale, broccoli, radishes, beets, carrots, and beens are easy to grow. Potatoes too. I live in BC Canada, and i had several cherry tomato plants self-seed from tomatoes that fell off and rotted in the ground last year... amazing. :)

A very good idea. I live in an apartment and would have to do potted plants but this is something I'm considering.

Check your apartment complex rules. Sometimes (like the one I lived in) they're all mean doo doo heads and will give you grief for having plants on your porch.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I aim to spend ~$20 a week on food. I buy things like cereal bars, oatmeal, cereal, popcorn, sunflower seeds, bananas, apples, rice cakes, and yogurt.
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I hope this is a purely hypothetical question because I can't see how you could spend so little unless you A) lived on a farm or B) ate crap.

First of all, since budget is of the utmost concern, I would relegate meat to two servings a week. Might seem drastic, but meat is pricey and that money will buy you a sh'load of beans and frozen vegetables. Eggs are great and cheap and mushrooms are nice, too. Those make great proteins on a budget. I would avoid grains because they can sometimes make you eat more and cause cravings. (Especially if you have IR.) Drink tap water only, maybe with a little lemon.

My boyfriend and I spend $150 a week on food for the both of us. This includes supplements and occasional treats. I justify spending more on good food pretty easily:
    - All food would be as expensive as whole foods if the government didn't subsidize crap; Uncle Sam gives people economic incentive to eat foods that will make them unwell over time.
    - It's better to make room in your budget and spend the money proactively avoiding illness by supplying yourself with healthy foods NOW rather than save money on food only to exponentially increase that investment in health care costs down the road once the cheap, crappy stuff makes you ill.

My two cents. <3
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I hope this is a purely hypothetical question because I can't see how you could spend so little unless you A) lived on a farm or B) ate crap.

First of all, since budget is of the utmost concern, I would relegate meat to two servings a week. Might seem drastic, but meat is pricey and that money will buy you a sh'load of beans and frozen vegetables. Eggs are great and cheap and mushrooms are nice, too. Those make great proteins on a budget. I would avoid grains because they can sometimes make you eat more and cause cravings. (Especially if you have IR.) Drink tap water only, maybe with a little lemon.

My boyfriend and I spend $150 a week on food for the both of us. This includes supplements and occasional treats. I justify spending more on good food pretty easily:
    - All food would be as expensive as whole foods if the government didn't subsidize crap; Uncle Sam gives people economic incentive to eat foods that will make them unwell over time.
    - It's better to make room in your budget and spend the money proactively avoiding illness by supplying yourself with healthy foods NOW rather than save money on food only to exponentially increase that investment in health care costs down the road once the cheap, crappy stuff makes you ill.

My two cents. <3

"Healthy" is a relative term. And no, eating on that little is not impossible. And limiting meat to two servings a week? uhh..what?!

Also, I don't see why you felt the need to bring politics into this.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    top ramen and tuna :)
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, frozen veggies and eggs
  • PepperWorm
    Options

I absolutely emphatically disagree.

Not everyone can live on organic, farm-raised "good for you" foods due to the cost. People live on "that little" and less EVERY SINGLE DAY. And guess what? They can actually eat a wealth of nutrient-rich foods without spending a fortune.

Please keep closed minded comments to yourself.
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options

You can grow micro-greens and herbs indoors too on a windowsill or with a lamp. Those topsy-turvy things work well to hang outside for cherry tomatoes and strawberries too if you have limited space... my grandpa gave me one and i was surprised how well it works compared to my potted /raised bed tomatoes.

My potatoes are all in grow bags and fit on my patio... would fit on a deck if your deck is large enough. Great space saver. Just dump the bag when you are ready to harvest. Save some potatoes to re-seed. Ever have potatoes sprout eyes in your pantry? You can plant those in a large barrel or garbage can with dirt. I like the grow bags though because they have good drainage.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

Not everyone can live on organic, farm-raised "good for you" foods due to the cost. People live on "that little" and less EVERY SINGLE DAY. And guess what? They can actually eat a wealth of nutrient-rich foods without spending a fortune.

But...but...but...TOXINS!!
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    at one of the stores I go to they have discount racks of 50% off. They expire that day or the next but you can always freeze it.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I think I spend just over this myself on groceries. Maybe $120

I buy a lot of meat that's the manager's special, marked down to next to nothing. Then freeze. My parents always bought sides of meat from the butcher.
    Cheese blocks, not shredded.
    I only buy bread if it's the manager's special. Then freeze and use as needed.
    Frozen fruits and veggies.
    I like to buy the lunch meat in the reusable containers so I don't have to purchase any.
    Only water to drink.
    Peanut Butter.

I'm sure there's more, but it's late.
  • PepperWorm
    Options

Do an It Works wrap while taking raspberry ketones and green coffee bean extract. Should kick 'em right out of ya!

Edited for typo.
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    And depending on where you live and if you get enough lighting in your house, you can grow Meyer lemons or other citrus fruit trees indoors. I had one that produced 3 lemons before it died... it's pretty cold here in the winters and my south facing wall has no windows. :(
  • CysterWigs
    Options
    OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. I don't feel it's appropriate for you to try to shame me. After all, I disagreed with you guys, obviously, but didn't feel the need to call you out on it because you're entitled to your opinions as well. They're all equally valid - so please grow up and keep your personal attack to yourselves.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Milk, water, cereal, eggs, and rice.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Lots of dried beans and rice, and I would stock up on canned and frozen veggies whenever they went on sale.
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Rice, beans, onions, cilantro, and spices. I could eat rice and beans for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  • CysterWigs
    Options

I never said anything about toxins. I am not a health food zealot. Check out my food journal; I eat processed foods on occasion. What I was suggesting is that if someone ONLY had $100 to spend, they should try to make every bite as nutrient dense as possible - which I hardly think is justification to be so disrespectful.
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    How 'bout we don't hijack the thread with imposing ideas and opinions on people with a budget less ample than some and start giving more money-saving tips for those of us that don't make a higher end income?

Yeah, that'd be awesome.