Lose/Loose

Options
Jlennhikes
Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
You lose weight. Your pants are loose. Sorry, it's a very common error on this board :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. If you can get rid of one common error it will be worth it.

Also, "you're" is a contraction for "you are". "Your" is possessive.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    LOL. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to post something about that. Thank you.
  • Chickabittie
    Chickabittie Posts: 272
    Options
    THANK YOU! There are so many "Loosers" on this site! LOL! Also appreciate the Your vs. You're info. Such a pet peeve of mine!
  • madcatwechanged
    Options
    That drives me nuts. :laugh:
    :noway:
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    People are entitled to be wrong! Please do not turn this into a site for perfectionists. It is more important that people have their say in a non judgemental atmosphere. I see these errors and I know what the writer intended sometimes it is easier than other times. Improper grammar, syntax and or improper word use may be disturbing to those with more education or knowledge but with all due respect please take your red pen some where else. People are here to lose (or loose weight ) not to be told they can not spell! I am not trying to be mean but I would hate to think that any one would clam up out of fear that they used the wrong word when celebrating something that makes them feel good about themselves. We are not hosting a Mensa meeting here. We are sharing. Sometimes it is ugly. No one is here for English lessons, we are here to rally one another!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    :)
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    Thank you for the smile. I do not know how to do one of those or I would give you one back!:sad:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    People are entitled to be wrong! Please do not turn this into a site for perfectionists. It is more important that people have their say in a non judgemental atmosphere. I see these errors and I know what the writer intended sometimes it is easier than other times. Improper grammar, syntax and or improper word use may be disturbing to those with more education or knowledge but with all due respect please take your red pen some where else. People are here to lose (or loose weight ) not to be told they can not spell! I am not trying to be mean but I would hate to think that any one would clam up out of fear that they used the wrong word when celebrating something that makes them feel good about themselves. We are not hosting a Mensa meeting here. We are sharing. Sometimes it is ugly. No one is here for English lessons, we are here to rally one another!
    I appreciate your post & I agree:flowerforyou:

Thank you,
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Spob, well said. I completely agree with you. However, I do not believe the OP and other people mean to be judgmental per se....let's just say it's an 'observation' put into the Chit-chat forum. We are all in a learning process here on MFP and hopefully your nice post will contribute to that. :happy:
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options

I also second this, I half the time do not put capitols or I may put all capitols i dont want someone telling me I am wrong or right>>> We are all here for the same reason we should be working together not being nit picky!!!!!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

I also second this, I half the time do not put capitols or I may put all capitols i dont want someone telling me I am wrong or right>>> We are all here for the same reason we should be working together not being nit picky!!!!!!
    Ya know the funny thing is, I tend to be blind about it or my mind reads it correctly in others posts (it doesn't bother me I am able to read the post without thinking much about how it's written unless it's beyond readable, which I've rarely ever seen) but in my own posts, it makes me cringe:grumble: . :wink: Maybe that's why each time I see another thread like this begin I feel a tad defensive. :blushing:

I know how to spell etc, though my fingers don't always do what my brain is intending them to do at any given moment, so if I don't reread it carefully before my edit time runs out, ACK, it'll drive me crazy. I'm definitely guilty of making errors on forums and not noticing them until later I'll admit that.:wink::blushing:

So I bet that's why I am ultra-sensitive to posts like this simply because of that.:flowerforyou:

Good post Kath:flowerforyou:

Becca
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    <<<People are entitled to be wrong! Please do not turn this into a site for perfectionists. It is more important that people have their say in a non judgemental atmosphere. I see these errors and I know what the writer intended sometimes it is easier than other times. Improper grammar, syntax and or improper word use may be disturbing to those with more education or knowledge but with all due respect please take your red pen some where else. People are here to lose (or loose weight ) not to be told they can not spell! I am not trying to be mean but I would hate to think that any one would clam up out of fear that they used the wrong word when celebrating something that makes them feel good about themselves. We are not hosting a Mensa meeting here. We are sharing. Sometimes it is ugly. No one is here for English lessons, we are here to rally one another! >>>

Are you judging me for trying to provide a public service? :wink:
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Let's stay cool. Losen up everyone! :smile:
  • dmvbnoslo
    dmvbnoslo Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Life is short- if I can understand what they mean, it's all good!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    ::flowerforyou: me too!:wink:
  • Chickabittie
    Chickabittie Posts: 272
    Options

Sounds good to me! :-)
  • madcatwechanged
    Options
    I'm pretty sure this was not a mean spirited post. It was meant in fun and attacks no one really. Don't forget how to laugh or smile people, this is a journey we are sharing together to reach our goals. :wink:
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Let's not lose control and let the snide comments loose.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I'm a grammar geek. Sometimes my friends appreciate learning the difference between "lay" and "lie" and maybe some people would appreciate the "loose/lose" reminder. Thanks!