More Than A Number on the Scale

Options
ajominy
ajominy Posts: 87 Member
The last few weeks I have been reminded that we are so much more than just a number on the scale. I think, all too often, that we get so caught up on the numbers and we forget about all of the other victories that come along with weight loss. We let those numbers dictate our moods, get us frustrated and down and sometimes throw us off track. We are so much more than our numbers and sometimes I think scales are the devil. 

I, like many others, have let the ounces and pounds gained get me down and frustrate me so much in the past when losing weight. When I embarked on my new lifestyle change last July, I was determined to not let that throw me off. I needed to focus on all of the other things like, feeling better, being able to exercise pain free, losing inches, looking better, etc. I’m not going to lie, I did let the numbers dictate my moods from time to time, but I tried hard to move past it and understand that there is so much more to this then what my weekly weigh in numbers read.

I have been very successful on my journey so far because I understand that I am more than a number… but I still struggle and, at times, forget about that fact. The last few weeks I have had multiple instances that made me realize that what I see and feel about myself is often very different than what others see. These instances have help put things back in perspective for me and have motivated me even more, so I wanted to share them.

I saw a few friends last week and they were shocked on how “skinny” I looked. Now I totally disagree that I am “skinny” but to them, where I was and where I am now, I am “skinnier”. When discussing what I was doing, how I was doing it and what my goal was, they were very surprised to hear that I wanted to lose another 30 lbs. They thought that I weighted a certain number, which is actually about 50 lbs less than what I actually weigh now. They were shocked that I weighed what I did and said that there was no way that I weighed that number and did not look like it at all. They swore that I was the same size and weight as another friend of ours (actually someone who I think looks great and I would classify as “skinny”). Although I am about 50 lbs heavier on the scale it made me feel so good that they thought I looked like I was 50 lbs less. It really made me realize that the way I see myself is far different than the way others see me. Now, I know some of you are thinking that these are my friends and they are just being nice…..these 2 particular friends are very brutally honest and would be the 1st ones to tell me the truth and do not sugar coat anything. All the more reason why it made me feel so good.

I was also showing some people some pictures and they saw pictures of me from 2005 (they did not know that they were from 2005) and they totally thought they were current pictures of me. They were shocked to find out they were pictures from 8 years ago. With the weight I lost, I also feel like I lost ages as well. It was so nice to hear that people thought I looked just like I did in my mid 20’s. Gotta love that!

These are just 2 stories that happened recently to me that brought things back into perspective for me. I am also reminded of where I have come from when playing with my nieces and nephews and being able to do things with them I couldn’t do before, by being on the verge of getting into a jean size that I haven’t gotten into since I was a Sophomore in High School, by putting on old pants and shirt and realizing just how big I had let myself get, and looking at my measurements from when I started to now…just to name a few.

I just wanted to share these stories because I know this is a constant struggle with a lot of us. I know I see posts on here about NSV (Non Scale Victories) but I also see stuff about people struggling b/c of the numbers. Especially since yesterday was a Holiday and we may have eaten more than usual. Remember that we are more than a number on the scale, don’t let that scale dictate your mood, get you down and throw you off track. Focus on all of the NSV’s….look at the inches you are losing, look at the fact that you are able to play with your kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews more, look at the pant and shirt sizes you have lost, look at what you would have eaten if you weren’t watching what you eat vs. what you actually ate now (I bet, even though you don’t think you did good, you did a lot better than what you did last time)…keep focusing on those things and you will get where you want to be.

Here are the pictures from 2005 that my friends saw and current pictures of me. I do feel I look just as good as I did 8 years and that feels so good!! The ones on the left are from 2005 and the ones on the right are current.

xkVkOfY.jpg

Here is a picture so you can see where I started last year and why getting back to what I looked like in 2005 is a big deal to me. This is my current before shot (July 2012) and work in progress shot (July 2013)

bzmABIm.jpg

Replies

• Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! Actually, you look slimmer in the current pictures. Congrats on doing so well!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Great post. I think a lot of us struggle with the number on the scale. It's a battle I'm working through and I'm getting better relying on how I feel and how I look / how my clothes feel.

You look more fit in the recent pictures and really look amazing.
  • krox1
    krox1 Posts: 1
    Options
    You look great! And you're totally right, it's about how you feel and what you can do, not a reading on a scale!
  • lcantrell65
    lcantrell65 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Great post with some wise words. And those last two photos? I never would have dreamed they were of the same person. Congratulations on what you have accomplished so far.
  • suzanneism
    suzanneism Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! And you look infinitely fitter in the more current pictures than 8 years ago. I think another thing that stands out is your smile. It's different. It's a smile of satisfaction and accomplishment! Fantastic! :)
  • ajominy
    ajominy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I definitely do have a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Its a great feeling to look and feel better than I did 8 years ago.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!