Pranayama and weight loss anyone ?

Options
I know this sounds crazy but does anyone supplement their diet and exercise program with pranayama (or yoga in general) and have noticed results?

Replies

• chrisarace72
    chrisarace72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do 60 min. vinyasa at home and without lifting weights or any other exercise noticed a tremendous difference in muscle tone and shedding lbs.
  • FitEqualsSmile
    FitEqualsSmile Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I started my journey with yoga due to other health issues and there was a tremendous change. As I have incorporated other fitness I have continued and increased the intensity of my yoga and TOTALLY believe it is the main reason my body has changed its ratios. As an added bonus, it is the one exercise I truly love until I can get back on my paddle board.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is simply calories in < calories out. Diet is 90% of the battle. What you choose to be active in will help mostly in other ways (make you feel better, build muscles, increase cardiovascular capacity, etc. etc.).

Simply put, if weight loss is your primary goals, then diet is what matters most. Everything else is icing on the cake. I do recommend some form of physical activity, as it has many other benefits, body composition being one of them.
  • AryaG08
    AryaG08 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do 60 min. vinyasa at home and without lifting weights or any other exercise noticed a tremendous difference in muscle tone and shedding lbs.
    I started my journey with yoga due to other health issues and there was a tremendous change. As I have incorporated other fitness I have continued and increased the intensity of my yoga and TOTALLY believe it is the main reason my body has changed its ratios. As an added bonus, it is the one exercise I truly love until I can get back on my paddle board.

How long did it take you guys to start noticing a change ? I have been doing pranayama religiously for about a month and a half now and for the last two weeks, I tried incorporating some yoga poses also, mainly plans and sun salutations. Haven't seen much of a change in my weight but my anxiety levels are at an all time low and I breathe and sleep so much better. Some weight loss, albeit, WOULD amount to added motivation :)

• AryaG08
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Weight loss is simply calories in < calories out. Diet is 90% of the battle. What you choose to be active in will help mostly in other ways (make you feel better, build muscles, increase cardiovascular capacity, etc. etc.).

Simply put, if weight loss is your primary goals, then diet is what matters most. Everything else is icing on the cake. I do recommend some form of physical activity, as it has many other benefits, body composition being one of them.

That definitely makes a lot of sense ! Thank you all for the responses. So basically diet for weight loss and yoga and running to tone up and build muscle right? I do both, yoga in the morning and gym in the evening. Just wanted to know if there are added benefits to yoga apart from making me feel really great. Yes I know I sound greedy lol! This thread answers all my questions :)
  • FitEqualsSmile
    FitEqualsSmile Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with calories in and calories out but you can not tell me my body did not firm up with the help of yoga. My whole body changed like it never did before when I had lost weight in the past. I would say I was practicing about three times a week for 4 months before I noticed a big difference, I am a vinyasa girl. Good luck.
  • AryaG08
    Options
    Just what I needed to hear ! Thank you :)