What do you do when you are sick and can't exercise?

Options
When I get ill, it usually lasts for 2-3 days and then I am back on the exercise! But now I have this awful chest cold that seems will last for a while (already been 4 days and I don't feel any better). What do you do in this case? Do you stick to your calories, or do you lower them? :) Thanks! :)

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    IMO, if you're sick, eat what your normally do. Your body needs fuel to help repair itself and fight infection; lowering your calories wont help.

If it takes you 2 weeks to get over your chest infection, it's only 2 weeks longer before you reach your goal which in the grand scheme of things isn't that long :)
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Can't believe this question is actually being asked.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Why would you lower your calories?
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Rest, and give my body a chance to recover. I don't usually feel much like eating when I'm sick, but if I do, then I eat normally.
    If not exercising makes you go over your calories, then just accept that you might be closer to your maintenance calories for a few days or a week.
    That's not a big deal.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% eating at calorie deficit. I lost over 100 pounds (no exercise) before I even began to walk more.
    Keep eating @ your calorie allotment, you don't need to eat less.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% eating at calorie deficit. I lost over 100 pounds (no exercise) before I even began to walk more.
    Keep eating @ your calorie allotment, you don't need to eat less.

Unless you're eating at TDEE, because then you'd be eating at a surplus, as it includes exercise.

With MFP, just eat your calories.

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Rest
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm doing nothing. I feel like shiat and there is no way I'm further punishing myself by exercising. I did only eat like 700 calories yesterday though since I had no appetite.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Rest, eat good nutritious foods that help your body take care of itself, and get back to the exercise when you feel better.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I relax and focus on healing? why is this even being questioned?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,424 Member
    Options
    If you are using the calorie goal MFP gave you then just eat that. I don't think lowering your calories is necessary. Eating at maintenance level is probably a good idea when you are sick.
    If you have gone from being very active in your daily life (your lifestyle not exercise) to laying around most days and it will be longer than a week or two then you want might to switch your activity level to sedentary until you are recovered.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    When I get ill, it usually lasts for 2-3 days and then I am back on the exercise! But now I have this awful chest cold that seems will last for a while (already been 4 days and I don't feel any better). What do you do in this case? Do you stick to your calories, or do you lower them? :) Thanks! :)

In the past I always failed at weight loss because I'd get sick. I wasn't getting enough nutrition when I ate at a deficit. I have taken a multi-vitamin daily since starting on MFP last October and have not come down with anything since. Be sure to get enough vitamin C and don't worry about your calories until you are well. Then you can start fresh.
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I focus on getting better and not on counting calories. Typically, I eat less when I'm not feeling well anyway, but if I go over because my body needs extra nourishment to fight whatever I'm ill with, I'm not going to stress about it. Health is more important!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance when I'm sick. Your body needs fuel