Best evening snacks??

Options
I am not a morning person. So in order to keep exercise as part of my lifestyle (a year strong now!) I have been exercising around 7-9pm at night. I need a snack after am not a protein shake fan. What do you reccomend? I have tried to cut back most carbs, in particular fruit, cereal (my fave), rice cakes and popcorn (mostly due to sodium) which were all previously my healthy evening snacks.Now if i can try and be good I have hummus or red pepper dip and veggies, sometimes a hard boiled egg or a small piece of cheese with something else... having a hard time coming up with smaller calorie protein ideas. Thanks.

Replies

• deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Here is an article from Yahoo! Health. It doesn't talk about evening snacks in particular, just healthy snacks for weight loss.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/weightloss/best-snacks-weight-loss

If you've started skipping meals or snacks because you're struggling with your weight, please reconsider: You might actually be better off opting for a snack.

According to more than a few research studies I've read over the years, I can recommend that you eat the following:
    a healthy snack or "mini-meal" every 3 to 4 hours during the day: Snacking helps stabilize your blood sugar and energy, while it lowers your risk of overeating or binge eating during your next big meal
    portions of meat, chicken, fish, or tofu no bigger than a deck of playing cards
    fist-size helpings of pasta, rice, or potatoes
    1/2 plateful of vegetables with every large meal, which will prevent your pancreas from triggering a surge of insulin

Many of my favorite (tasty and healthy) snacks combine sources of protein and carbohydrate for energy, balance, and a better feeling of fullness.

Snacks that are good sources of protein

You can get 1 to 2 ounces of lean protein from:
    1/2 cup of low-fat cottage, ricotta cheese, or plain low-fat Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup of egg whites (note: up to 3 whole eggs per week is okay, even if you're watching your cholesterol)
    1 cup (or 8 ounces) of skim or 1-percent milk, or of low-sugar soy milk
    1 to 2 ounces of string cheese or other low-fat cheese (e.g., Jarlsberg lite, Alpine Lace®, part-skim mozzarella, Laughing Cow®)
    1 to 2 tbsp of all-natural peanut butter
    a handful of raw nuts (e.g., almonds, walnuts)

Good carbohydrate sources

Grains:
    1 to 2 slices whole grain toast, pita bread, or high-fiber English muffin (look for at least 3 grams of fiber and 3 grams of protein per serving)
    1 serving high-fiber cereal (e.g., Ka****M, Fiber One®, All-Bran®) or high-fiber crackers (e.g., WASA®, ak mak®, Ka****M)

Fruits:
    1/2 to 1 cup of fresh fruit: Berries contain the most fiber and water overall and are fairly low in calories, but I also love the nutrition and taste of fresh mangos and papayas, chock full of potassium and vitamin C.

Vegetables:
    celery with all-natural peanut butter or a soft, low-fat cheese
    fresh baby soybeans in the pod (edamame), loaded with both protein and fiber, for a filling snack or even a meal
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    you could try a low carb trail mix

This is just one possibility, of course.
    1 cup roasted peanuts
    1 cup raw or roasted almonds
    1 cup pumpkin seeds (toasted)
    2 oz unsweetened coconut
    ½ cup raisins or currants (loosely-packed, i.e. don’t cram in as many as possible)
    Nutritional Information: This should make about 16 servings of ¼ cup each. Each serving will have 6.5 grams of effective carbohydrate and 3.5 grams of fiber. If you make the same mix without the raisins, assuming 14 servings, each will have 4 grams of effective carbohydrate and 3 grams of fiber. Or you can omit the raisins.

another idea is celery sticks with almond, cashew or peanut butter

a friend of mine swears by sugar free jello and cottage cheese...