2»

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    scolaris wrote: »
    It is correct that fitbit burns for the day include your baseline. I for instance get about 1400 on days I'm sedentary. Skip the nonsense about your exercise 'baseline' that's bro science right there. You will not increase your muscle strength or your cardiovascular capacity doing what you normally are accustomed to do, but a calorie burned is a calorie burned. There's no getting around that! (Also ignore people who say your body doesn't 'recognize' exercise you are used to performing... umm... nope)

LOL! Yeah, by that logic wouldn't you reach a point where any exercise you even do would be rendered useless unless you did nothing but exercise from the moment you woke up until the moment you went to sleep? If our bodies get used to it so much to the point where we shouldn't eat any extra calories, someone should tell that to my sore hamstrings and growling stomach.

And shouldnt we all be "used to" living and breathing, yet they still burn calories!!
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    As some others have said, you have to watch that you aren't looking at total calories for the day vs calories burned. Doing 20k steps a day might let a person eat 2900 calories a day, but you are more than likely only burning a few hundred calories walking to add to a normal daily intake. I think at 10k steps last night, I could add 250 calories to my usual 2000 calories a day I can eat just because of my size, weight, height, activity level, etc.
  • AndyKiu
    AndyKiu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i set my activity level to sedentary (desk job) and set my goal to mantain weight
    i usually walk 15-20k steps a day.
    i was just wondering how many cal i should eat to mantain, because the difference from MFP and Fitibit is huge (mpa 2.9k Fitbit 4.1k. more than 1k calories a day)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    AndyKiu wrote: »
    i set my activity level to sedentary (desk job) and set my goal to mantain weight
    i was just wondering how many cal i should eat to mantain, because the difference from MFP and Fitibit is huge (mpa 2.9k Fitbit 4.1k. more than 1k calories a day)

Sedentary is 5k or less steps a day. That's why there is such a huge difference.
    20k-25k steps in a day is at least Active.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    hi, i have been wondering how many kcal i burn by walking 20k steps
    i'm 6 feet and 170 pounds.

by using the iphone motion, Fitbit says that by walking 20-25k steps a day my daily intake should be around 3-4k (wich i found incredibly innacurate) meanwhile myfitness pal says 2900-3k

wich one is correct?
    does walking at 4mph for one hours really burns around 300 kcal?

I hate fitness trackers just for these reasons.

If this is something you do daily, your body has adapted to this amount of work, it's your "normal". So I wouldn't eat these back, I wouldn't count this as exercise etc. Only account for actual exercise, like if you purposely go for a run/jog/ walk or go to the gym outside of what you normally do.

Be more concerned about the calories you're eating instead of the calories you're burning IMO.

My Mom spends very little time doing intentional exercise, eats like a horse, and hovers around Underweight due to all her unintentional exercise. If she were using MFP, I'd recommend she set her activity level as Very Active.
  • AndyKiu
    AndyKiu Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Sedentary is 5k or less steps a day. That's why there is such a huge difference.
    20k-25k steps in a day is at least Active.

oh, i understand.
    i always considered myself sedentary because i'm sitting most of the day.
    i tought that the right way to calculate was to add my steps/cardio to my sendentary lifestyle calories intake (2040 sedentary, 2290 lighly active)

now it makes sense.
    by setting to active the results are MPA 3.7k calories, Fitbit 4.1k, the gap now it's not that huge
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

by using the iphone motion, Fitbit says that by walking 20-25k steps a day my daily intake should be around 3-4k (wich i found incredibly innacurate) meanwhile myfitness pal says 2900-3k

wich one is correct?

If this is something you do daily, your body has adapted to this amount of work, it's your "normal". So I wouldn't eat these back, I wouldn't count this as exercise etc. Only account for actual exercise, like if you purposely go for a run/jog/ walk or go to the gym outside of what you normally do.

Be more concerned about the calories you're eating instead of the calories you're burning IMO.

Huh? Your body only counts calories burned during "intentional" exercise? So if someone is chasing me for three miles, I can't log it?

What a stupid question, I love it!

Although your action would be unintentional you could count this as exercise as it's outside of what you would "normally be doing".

If you were currently maintaining calories around 3500 as a construction worker, and then slapped on a fitbit all day that would read something like walking 50,000 steps and burning 6000 calories and you decided to all of a sudden eat back all of those calories ...cause you know you're wearing a watch now ... so your internal system has been wrong this WHOLE TIME. What do you think would happen?
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, those burns seem really high. Now, it is possible that my tracker is way too low but I guess I like it that way cause then I'm not over estimating my burn. If I walk 10K steps in a day, mine says I burn a little over 300 calories. I would assume to double the steps would also double the burn. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP sorry if you answered this already, but are the two apps synced? Are all your settings the same between them - the stats, the goal (you said maintain, you have it set up in both systems), the activity level? I think someone else already pointed out, if you are averaging 15-20K steps/day you are far from sedentary.

When I first got my FitBit about 2.5 years ago, I had to tweak all those settings before the numbers started lining up more consistently. I got the good advice that 10K steps/day was lightly active, not sedentary. When I changed my activity level in FitBit not only did I get a higher baseline of calories to start with and smaller exercise adjustments, I found that the numbers seemed to line up better. Today I average 15K steps/day and have my activity level set to active in MFP. I am also maintaining, so I eat almost all of my calorie adjustments back from FitBit (usually save a buffer for the weekend).

For reference, I'm 5'2 and 120 lbs and female, and my calories burned from FitBit are 2200-2400 so I think that your numbers seem like they could be reasonable. I think the discrepancy from MFP could be with the things I mentioned above, and also if you have one set to lose and one set to maintain.

I will say, that for the last several months there have been periodic glitches with the numbers between MFP and FitBit, and that might also be contributing to the discrepancy a little bit.
  • Soultwist
    Soultwist Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

wich one is correct?

Huh? Your body only counts calories burned during "intentional" exercise? So if someone is chasing me for three miles, I can't log it?

Although your action would be unintentional you could count this as exercise as it's outside of what you would "normally be doing".

If you were currently maintaining calories around 3500 as a construction worker, and then slapped on a fitbit all day that would read something like walking 50,000 steps and burning 6000 calories and you decided to all of a sudden eat back all of those calories ...cause you know you're wearing a watch now ... so your internal system has been wrong this WHOLE TIME. What do you think would happen?

Well, this says you hate fitness trackers that give incorrect info or are set up wrong. That's not what you said in your original post, you implied your body gets used to motion and stops burning calories to do them. In your example here with the construction worker all those steps and movements that the body is "use too" is really burning the 3500 - BMR.

Now if you meant that your already preset activity level is used to the activity that would be correct but it did not come across that way at all.

As to what I think would happen? I think the "watch" would show a lot closer to the 3500 real number then the 6000 number if its set up right.
  • Soultwist
    Soultwist Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    dupe

• shadow2soul
    Options
    Just my opinion, those burns seem really high. Now, it is possible that my tracker is way too low but I guess I like it that way cause then I'm not over estimating my burn. If I walk 10K steps in a day, mine says I burn a little over 300 calories. I would assume to double the steps would also double the burn. Just my 2 cents worth.

The OP is comparing Maintenance calorie levels.
    He had MFP set to Sedentary and to maintain his current weight. This was giving him 2900 calories a day.
    He's not sedentary though and getting 20k - 25k steps a day. Fitbit is saying his maintenance calories are closer to 4k.
    He did change his activity level on MFP and now there is only a 200 or so calorie difference in what each says he needs to maintain.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    @Tedebearduff - I think you misunderstood what he is comparing. He is comparing MFP sedentary maintenance calories to what fitbit estimates his maintenance to be.
    With 20k steps he isn't sedentary and that's why there was such a big difference in the calorie estimates.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

wich one is correct?

The question was worthy of the post that prompted it. It seemed that you meant something different than the message implied.

Of course, it doesn't work to double-count activity. If I put myself down as highly active due to my running, biking, taekwondo etc., then I wouldn't also input the exercise calories.

Many people chose to set their tracker on sedentary and then measure their daily activity as it can fluctuate from day-to-day. My non-workout walking, for example, ranges from five to ten miles during a day. I prefer to track it separately for that reason.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    i'm mantaining/gaining.

i was just wondering how many kcal does the average person burns by walking 20k steps daily (some websites says around 1k cal)
    or walking 1 hours at 4phm

We don't burn 1k in an hours walking. I know height/weight/age factor but you're talking around 85-150 range of cals burned per mile.

If your gaining then you know that you're eating above your actual TDEE.

For me Fitbit has been really accurate - I average 18-21k steps and my TDEE is between 2100-2300. I'm 5ft 2/130lbs/46 yrs
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"8 and 148lbs. Here's a screenshot of one of my days.
    01jgp65dlcpa.png