Walking shoes for those with arthritis in the foot

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
I finally found shoes that function as advertised.
Xelero.
I have degenerative osteoarthritis in both big toe joints. Can't take impact or flexing much.
The Xelero shoe is the first shoe I can walk for hours in workout pain.
Walked all over the Biltmore and the gardens and not a bit of joint pain.
Got a China trip next month. I'll be able to walk the 3.2 miles to the office pain free for the first time.
Pricy. But well worth it. A lot less than the Copay for another foot surgery.

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    glad you found something that helps you
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    How do you think they would work for arthritis in the spine? I have discs that have been previously injured (herniated) and one that's been cut on in my lower back. I use Asics now which do a good job but I have to limit it to about 2 miles at a time these days because the impact of walking starts to fatigue my back. The body wants to do more, but the back says no. The more expensive versions of my shoe (around ~$180) work best but they seem to only last about six months before they break down to the point they are no better than any other shoe so I stopped spending the money and simply walk a shorter distance.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative osteoarthritis in the cuneiforms of my right foot. I have had really good luck with Salomon trail running shoes. The cushioning and the wider toe box makes them really comfortable for me and their lacing system allows me to get the right amount of compression to keep inflammation down.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Xelero.
    I have degenerative osteoarthritis in both big toe joints. Can't take impact or flexing much.
    Got a China trip next month. I'll be able to walk the 3.2 miles to the office pain free for the first time.

Isn't it wonderful when you find the right thing, especially the right shoes? Congrats and enjoy your China trip
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    How do you think they would work for arthritis in the spine? I have discs that have been previously injured (herniated) and one that's been cut on in my lower back. I use Asics now which do a good job but I have to limit it to about 2 miles at a time these days because the impact of walking starts to fatigue my back. The body wants to do more, but the back says no. The more expensive versions of my shoe (around ~$180) work best but they seem to only last about six months before they break down to the point they are no better than any other shoe so I stopped spending the money and simply walk a shorter distance.

I do not know. But they definitely help me. I have had mild arthritis in my lower stone as well that can cause pressure and discomfort in my low back. These shoes virtually eliminates that while walking. But standing around is still as issue. I could never work a job that requires standing all day.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Xelero.

Isn't it wonderful when you find the right thing, especially the right shoes? Congrats and enjoy your China trip

I won't enjoy it. The best I can ever hope for us tolerating it. :D
    My 8th month long trip in 2 years.