What is the point of electrolytes?

Options
I think I can understand most nutrition and health concepts, but I never really got electrolytes. How important are they actually?

Replies

• OCTOBERLISA
    OCTOBERLISA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Very important!!!!
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You need them for heart health, muscles, hell, everything!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid a heart attack, they're very important.
    If you want to avoid heat stroke, they're very important.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    You dont need to drink sports drinks to get it coconut water is one of the best sources
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Drink Brawndo. It has electrolytes. It's what plants crave!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Bananas, peaches, oranges, orange juice, apricots, nuts, and tons of other things are nicely high in potassium. Sodium is just everywhere, you probably don't need help finding that.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes like sodium, potassium and calcium ions are needed to maintain the voltage imbalance across the membrane of cells, that enables muscles to function among other things. You need them for things like breathing and having a heartbeat.
  • bjt77
    bjt77 Posts: 1
    Options
    The Sodium, potassium, calcium balance is what maintains correct cellular balance, which helps the muscles work correctly. If they get out of balance muscles can cramp, tighten or lock up. One of the major muscles is the heart.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    That livestrong article was okay, but can anyone go in depth a little more about WHY they are important?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Every cell in your body needs the proper amount of electrolytes to survive. As I recall (which may be faulty … cell biology was many years ago :tongue:) sodium and potassium are part of the mechanics of turning ADP to ATP, which then provides energy at the cellular level. Our bodies are quite good at maintaining the balance the cells need, and we start to feel ill long before things break down at the cellular level (usually).

That said, most people probably get enough sodium through foods, and potassium isn't far behind. Unless you have a medical issue, or are working out in the heat or for long amounts of time (athletes, etc) you don't need to drink those electrolyte drinks. (Summer outdoor activities probably are best with a balance of water and electrolyte drinks)
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Every cell in your body needs the proper amount of electrolytes to survive. As I recall (which may be faulty … cell biology was many years ago :tongue:) sodium and potassium are part of the mechanics of turning ADP to ATP, which then provides energy at the cellular level. Our bodies are quite good at maintaining the balance the cells need, and we start to feel ill long before things break down at the cellular level (usually).

That said, most people probably get enough sodium through foods, and potassium isn't far behind. Unless you have a medical issue, or are working out in the heat or for long amounts of time (athletes, etc) you don't need to drink those electrolyte drinks. (Summer outdoor activities probably are best with a balance of water and electrolyte drinks)

Thanks!
  • SudoApt
    SudoApt Posts: 9
    Options
    Pretty much what was already stated. Electrolytes transmit electricity through your body. Without them, you wouldn't move. Well you could but not very well.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    That livestrong article was okay, but can anyone go in depth a little more about WHY they are important?

You can't have a nerve impulse or move a muscle, without having a lot of sodium outside of the excitable cell, and a lot of potassium inside it. If you want to go into more depth, some topics to look at would be "action potential" and "sodium-potassium pump."
  • lithezebra
    Options

Thanks!

I think what you mean is that ATP is needed for the sodium-potassium pump to work.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Well I've never seen no plants grow out of no toilet.
  • SudoApt
    SudoApt Posts: 9
    Options
    I think what you mean is that ATP is needed for the sodium-potassium pump to work.

I thought they were separate? You need ATP for energy and Na-K for signals?
  • lithezebra
    Options

I thought they were separate? You need ATP for energy and Na-K for signals?

You're right. Making ATP is a separate process. ATP gets used to create the difference in sodium and potassium concentrations across cell membranes that allows signals to occur. (And it gets used for a lot of other things too.)

ATP is made by fermentation, in the citric acid cycle, aka Krebs cycle, and in oxidative phosphorylation.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I think I can understand most nutrition and health concepts, but I never really got electrolytes. How important are they actually?

If they go out of synch, you can fall very ill and in extreme circumstances you can die.

Electrolytes can go out of synch if you drink so much water for instance, you dilute the sodium in your body - this is called water intoxication, very dangerous indeed.

When somebody has a stomach bug and is being sick and has diarrhoea, this upsets the electrolytes which is why doctors often give those sachets to the patient to mix with water. They may taste disgusting but they balance the electrolytes.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You read my mind.........

To the OP, without electrolytes you don't function. In extreme cases of anorexia it's often the lack of electrolytes that leads to the heart problems that kills the anorexic.