Worth the $$ to get a PT?

Options
MzManiak
MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
In your opinion, is it worth it to spend the money on a personal trainer at the gym?

I found a PT that actually agrees with women lifting heavy... he could train me once or twice per week, as well as write an exercise plan for the days I work out without him, and a diet plan. It would cost $105 per month if I signed up for a year.

That's a long time to commit! I got a PT before at a different gym and they sucked. Just told me to use the machines every time. I really don't want to waste money or time and have been debating whether it's worth it or not.

I've looked into Stronglifts 5x5 and similar lifting programs, but I don't feel comfortable jumping in without a spotter or something. And I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to strength exercises. So those are the pros and cons.... what do you think?

Replies

• GeraldMar
    GeraldMar Posts: 6
    Options
    If you plan to lift heavy, you will need a coach or a trained spotter to make sure you have good form and do not get injured. There may be trainers that offer small group classes for a less expensive rate than one-on-one personal training. Ask around at the local gyms, and see what you can find out.

Good luck!
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It can be worth it, depends on who you get.

$105 for 4-8 sessions and a workout program seems incredibly cheap. Either the trainers has no business sense, or you'll get what you paid for.

To give you an idea, trainers in my area charge $50-100 per session.
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it if you find the right one. I pay $70 for a 1hr session so $105 seems like a good deal.
    Perhaps you can organise a trial session prior to signing onto a contract to ensure they're the right PT for you
  • marieskee
    marieskee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes it's worth it IF you get the right PT. See if he offers a trial workout that way you will have an idea of whats to come.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    It can be. If you find someone who can critique your form and make sure you are lifting safely and correctly, it may be worth the money. Correct form is paramount, and having an expert to correct yours can be the difference between getting results and getting hurt. I would look into reviews and see about getting a trial session before signing a contract.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    It can be worth it, depends on who you get.

$105 for 4-8 sessions and a workout program seems incredibly cheap. Either the trainers has no business sense, or you'll get what you paid for.

To give you an idea, trainers in my area charge $50-100 per session.

Right, but this guy thinks like a gym, or a cell phone company... How many weeks a year do most people travel, get sick, have scheduling issues, whatever? I would not want to be locked in like that. I think a handful of sessions at $70 a pop works out better for the client, really.

eg Many times, I find myself at the gym the last hour before it closes, or subbing with mostly push exercises in a home workout. I get my workouts in, just hate scheduling them tightly.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I just got one two weeks ago and I can see and feel the difference already. I pay 300 pounds a month for two half hour and one hour session a week. I find it helpful to have someone sort out the lifting for me as I have always got bored when I tried to lift in the past because I had no idea what I was doing.

Just make sure you pick the right trainer!
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person and the trainer. I have one and have had one for close to 5 years and wouldnt have got as far as I have without one, but do agree the pricing seems very cheap. I pay $40 for 30 minutes or $50 for 45 minutes. :)
  • GinnieC100
    GinnieC100 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have had my trainer for a year and have made big improvements. I live in a small Midwest city and pay $30 a session which lasts around an hour. I find when I lift on my own, I baby myself. My trainer really pushes me to my potential.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    With the amount of advice on here, youtube and websites like bodybuilding.com ? Not really.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    With the amount of advice on here, youtube and websites like bodybuilding.com ? Not really.

I agree
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I love my PT sessions as they push me further than I would myself. They also show me how to do new things and as our gym has a good deal for members It is worth it.

Must admit i bought the first lot as a start into training for a Tough Mudder but loved it so much I have 30 mins every week.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    That is a good deal! (I paid $120 for 3 sessions a month and with the way my gym works... most of that went to the gym not to my trainer!) It was worth the money for me because I really had no clue about strength training. I won't renew my personal training when it is time next month but I enjoyed it!
  • alison590
    alison590 Posts: 61
    Options
    I would go for one session to learn some basic moves and good form. I see mine once every two to three weeks to get a new routine that I do on my own at the gym. I pay $75 for an hour. I would never sign any contract!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    No u can do it your self
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    Why pay someone a bunch of money to give you advice on things you can research yourself? Three years ago I had absolutely no clue about nutrition or exercise programs. I checked around the internet about things I wanted to know, studied them, and learned new things along the way. Now my knowledge of bodybuilding is much greater, obviously I still don't know a lot of things bodybuilding related but I know what I need to know.

If you can't be arsed doing your own research then it's ok I guess. But I'd much rather spend my money on other things :)
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options

I agree

After I started reading "NROLFW" and "Starting Strength" I started to notice that females (more so than males) do have a tendency to be more cautious and careful when they started strength training. I can see where she would feel more confident with a PT rather than just walking in there and picking up barbells and going to town. I thought the books made interesting points about both sexes and their approach to lifting.

ETA: Just got a quote from a PT, about 70 bucks a sesh, so your 105 quote is a deal.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you, your goals, and the trainer.

A trainer can be a great way of getting started in the world of fitness, especially strength training. On the flip side, I have met some trainers who give terrifyingly bad advice.

Unfortunately, until you have some experience (or a good trainer), it can be tough to know the difference between a good or bad one.
  • lostgrl85
    lostgrl85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It would be best if you can see what this trainer is like before committing. Personal trainers can be really great, but in my experience, most of them are not. I've had 7 trainers in my life and most of them were horrible. Some don't know any more than I do, and others are just lazy and don't care. One guy made me do the same exact workout every single time. If that's what you get, there's no sense in paying someone to have you do what you already know. You're not going to gain anything from that anyway. If you actually find a good one though, that price would be a steal.